fogpog

fogpog (http://www.fogpog.com/index.php)
-   The Bleachers (http://www.fogpog.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Murton to Iowa...Rapada to the Pen (http://www.fogpog.com/showthread.php?t=1761)

ryno4ever Jun 13th 2007 6:33 pm

Murton to Iowa...Rapada to the Pen

Move was just made....The pen is spent after the last few games. They sent Murt to get more at bats.

ryno4ever Jun 13th 2007 6:41 pm

Rapada, 26, is 2-1 with a 3.77 ERA in 29 relief appearances for Iowa this season, including a perfect 9-for-9 in save situations. He has held the opponent scoreless in 23 of 29 outings while stranding 16 of 20 inherited runners. He has limited left-handed batters to a .103 average. Rapada, who is available for Wednesday night's game against Seattle at Wrigley Field, will wear uniform number 50 and will be looking to make his major league debut.

SkullKey Jun 13th 2007 8:42 pm

There are elements of mystery about this. Clearly they are determined to fix the bullpen once and for all. Rapada ? - let's see, and hope he's part of the answer.

I'm going to take an absolutely wild guess as to why Murton was sent down and not someone else like J. Jones (can Jones be sent down - can he refuse somehow?). He's being showcased. Other teams are wanting to see him play right now and he is just not going to get the at-bats with the Cubs. Maybe he should but... I'm guessing people are wanting to see him play to be sure he's OK etc. They've got to know he's a Major Leaguer and I'm still convinced he will be very good - not very likely as a Cub, unfortunately.

And let's not forget his amazingly weird inability to hit in Wrigley.

I suspect he has excellent trade value. The Cubs actually have quite a bit they could move and I will not be surprised if a lot of activity involving the Cubs occurs over the next 6 weeks. The Cubs just might be substantially different from the team the opened the season by the time of the "big push" (last 60 - 70 games). Let's see if they can make effective changes.

One effective change I think they have already basically made is a new keystone pair: the Kajun Keystone - Theriot & Fontenot.

Bockstock Jun 13th 2007 11:02 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkullKey (Post 22614)

One effective change I think they have already basically made is a new keystone pair: the Kajun Keystone - Theriot & Fontenot.

Fontenont's emergence makes Jones immediately expendable. Jones has to be Designated for Assignment, I believe, and cant be sent to the minors.

I think you might be right about Murton, we all know how the Cubs work; if the Cubs can get nothing for Jones I wouldn't be suprised if they trade Murton because they are able to get "more" for him. DFA Jones and cover his salary the rest of the year, or trade Murton, a substantially cheaper salary and get prospects. I'm still not convinced Hendry has alot of leaverage on making alot of moves because of the sale. Guys like Izturis might be more moveable towards the trading deadline.