fogpog

fogpog (http://www.fogpog.com/index.php)
-   Minor Matters (http://www.fogpog.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Jeff Samardzija Watch (http://www.fogpog.com/showthread.php?t=4373)

Cubbies10 Jul 9th 2008 10:00 pm

Jeff Samardzija Watch

Ok i have decided to do a watch on Jeff, my favorite minor league player and second favorite player in the Cubs organization.

Jeff pitched tonight for the Iowa Cubs who won 5-2. It was a 7 inning game and Jeff went the whole 7 innings, giving up 2 runs and striking out 7 while walking 0 batters.

His numbers in AAA, that i will be updating every time he pitches:

3-1
3.55 ERA
25.1 IP
22 K's

:)

SKIPPER 11 Jul 9th 2008 10:08 pm

Promising

Cubbies10 Jul 9th 2008 10:10 pm

I said when we first signed him that eventually he would be a stud. He is well on hs way, making real improvement. He pitched 6 shut out innings tonight, gave up 2 solo shots in the 7th. Still a great pitching performance.

Bockstock Jul 9th 2008 11:56 pm

Yea, I know I ripped him in the other thread, but I was at the Iowa Cubs game tonight on my way back at Denver.

He started getting his sinker working in the 3rd inning and that's when he started racking up the Ks

Both HRS came in the 7th w/ 1 out and he probably was trying to strike out guys with his FB, which was in the mid 80s at the time, and both HRS were hit well out of the ballpark. He went back to his junk and out pitches and got out of it. He topped out at 91-92

Also, Jason AAAA Dubois is back, 3/3 with 3 HR tonight.

The Round Rock coach was Dave Clark. Is he the ex-Cubs pitcher??

Cubbies10 Jul 10th 2008 1:15 am

He needs to get that sinker going, he does tend to rely on his fast ball too much, but he seems to be mixing his pitches more and he is reaping the benefit, I have been very impresed with him lately and apart from the two mistakes in the 7th he pitched very well. Looking forward to his next start.

Iowa are really playing well this year, 19 games over .500

TRIPLE PLAY Jul 10th 2008 1:59 am

Even though I believe he has some stuff,IMO he's moving up in the ranks a little too fast because of the $$ he's earning. Waaay too inconsistent for me to invite him to Sept. roster unless of course the ranks are depleted!
More Seasoning & get a haircut son!

Cubbies10 Jul 10th 2008 6:25 pm

The higher he moves though the better he pitches, its nice to get him in a competitive enviroment and thats what AAA is, AA can be competitive but anything lower than that it's just seasoning. He is having a good season so far. Lets hope it continues.

bigpapaQ. Jul 11th 2008 7:42 am

Aren't Z, Lilly, Harden and Dempster signed through next year as well? If so, there is 1-4 and that leaves Marshall and Marquis deserving of a run at #5 along with Gaudin. Pending a couple of trades (or one big one) it's going to be tough for the Cubs to get Samardzidja into the rotation in 08 or 09.

I guess this is an awesome problem to have.

Cubbies10 Jul 11th 2008 10:14 am

He needs the rest of this year to improve some aspects of his game, so 08 is no big deal, and i would of thought he will be given the chance in ST to show what he can do.

Bockstock Jul 11th 2008 6:47 pm

I'm not going to get too exicted until he improves his K/9 and drastically improves his K:BB

And it's not too exciting that his closest MLB comparable is Jason Marquis.

The cubs 2006 draft was a debacle IMO.