fogpog

fogpog (http://www.fogpog.com/index.php)
-   The Bleachers (http://www.fogpog.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Cardinals Strike Again (http://www.fogpog.com/showthread.php?t=5854)

Bockstock Jul 24th 2009 10:59 am

Cardinals Strike Again

Matt Holliday to STL for Brett Wallace and a couple other guys

At least it's not Roy Halladay.

I expect the cubs to counter by trading for Steve Trachsel and some switch-hitting MIF. Gotta give the Cardinals some credit for going all-out.

LeeEila's/rant Jul 24th 2009 11:06 am

damn it !!

We better start getting something out of our bats and Dempster needs to start pitching like last year .

Puloius ( spelling ? ) now has the protection he needed.

LeeEila's/rant Jul 24th 2009 11:08 am

What really pisses me off was last year when I was wanting to trade Marquis to the Rockies for him instead when went and got Vampire Boy ( Harden only pitches at night ) .

Bockstock Jul 24th 2009 11:45 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeEila's/rant (Post 75081)
What really pisses me off was last year when I was wanting to trade Marquis to the Rockies for him instead when went and got Vampire Boy ( Harden only pitches at night ) .

The cubs did not have the prospects to pick up Holliday last year and probably not this year. Harden was the right move, considering they only gave up one real prospect (Josh Donaldson), now that Gallagher's career is shaping into one of a middle reliever.

SKIPPER 11 Jul 24th 2009 11:55 am

Lee , I know his splits show differences: however I think Harden is a number 1 type P. His stuff is amazing. IMO, if there was 1 game to win and I had my pick of our pitchers to pitch- he would be my choice.

Bockstock Jul 24th 2009 12:10 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKIPPER 11 (Post 75083)
Lee , I know his splits show differences: however I think Harden is a number 1 type P. His stuff is amazing. IMO, if there was 1 game to win and I had my pick of our pitchers to pitch- he would be my choice.

It looks like Ted Lilly is going to miss another start

Who would have thought that Rich Harden would make the most starts of any cubs pitcher this year (knock on Kerry Wood)??

taz57 Jul 25th 2009 1:59 am

It seems like the story of this entire season. Just when the Cubs get Ramirez and Johnson back, and they might finally get healthy, Dempster and Soto go down. And now Lilly. Will there ever be an end to this madness.

With the moves made by the Cardinals, it will be a rough 2nd half if the Cubs can't stay healthy. I'm sure it was a tough decision for them to trade away pitching coach Dave Duncan's son. But Holliday is a clear upgrade in the batting order. It forces the opposition to make better pitches to the best hitter in the league with Matt Holliday batting behind him.

SKIPPER 11 Jul 25th 2009 1:46 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bockstock (Post 75082)
The cubs did not have the prospects to pick up Holliday last year and probably not this year. Harden was the right move, considering they only gave up one real prospect (Josh Donaldson), now that Gallagher's career is shaping into one of a middle reliever.

My question last year on the Rockies front was always did we have the prospects to go after the LH hitting OF- Hawpe. He strikes out a lot but is a very good player- not to mention he would be the third of the LSU team to be a Cub.

ryno4ever Jul 25th 2009 1:51 pm

IF the Cubs can really start to consistently play up to their potential, our lineup is still very potent.... big "if" tho... and the health of our pitchers is also somewhat concerning, but I'm not going to write this trade as being what the Cards needed to run away with the division.

Jntg4 Jul 26th 2009 1:01 pm

And even IF the Cards get the division, we are only 2 games out of the wild card too.