fogpog

fogpog (http://www.fogpog.com/index.php)
-   The Bleachers (http://www.fogpog.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Long Ball Withdrawls!!!! (http://www.fogpog.com/showthread.php?t=2156)

ryno4ever Jul 25th 2007 12:25 pm

Long Ball Withdrawls!!!!

Is anyone else missing hearing that popping sound as the ball hits the sweet part of the bat and the roar of the crowd starts to rise as the ball heads out of the park?

The guys are still getting it done without the homers, but jeez, I am really beginning to miss that part of the game!

Look at Thome, yesterday, his 3 run shot got the White Sox back into the game, and they came back yesterday, down by 6 runs against the best team in the AL Central (tigers) and won because of that "crack of the b!at".

So, Sori, Rammi, Lee...I don't care WHO but SOMEONE PLEASE START HITTING THE BALL OUT OF THE PARK!!!!!!

HOLYCOW!25 Jul 25th 2007 12:33 pm

Yea I would like to see some more home runs. It's wierd though. You look at this lineup, and you'd think we'd be hitting a lot more home runs. I think one problem is that the wind has been blowing in a lot more then out at Wrigley this year.

BigZ38 Jul 25th 2007 1:30 pm

It seems our only real power is from Ramirez. Soriano has been hot and cold this year. Lee seemed to have found something before his suspension because he hit 2 right before he served his suspension. We need another power source.

roenick99 Jul 25th 2007 1:51 pm

I think you'll see it all open up when we get to go to Cincy. If we don't hit any or many homeruns there then I would start getting a little worried. You can practically bunt a homerun out of that park.

Doba Jul 25th 2007 2:55 pm

Griffey in right would be nice. Everyday right fielder and you figure maybe 20 more HRs this year.

CubsFan23 Jul 25th 2007 3:45 pm

Funny how we struggled at the beginning of the season without the long ball. And now we seem to be doing fine without it.

roenick99 Jul 25th 2007 4:06 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CubsFan23 (Post 26155)
Funny how we struggled at the beginning of the season without the long ball. And now we seem to be doing fine without it.

It's because our defense and bullpen were crap. The Cubs were also not getting clutch hits when they needed them most. That has all changed.

SKIPPER 11 Jul 25th 2007 4:14 pm

I have said this all year, but kno we are winning so others have told be homers mean nothing as long as we win. That is true to some extent. Homers though are a quick way to get runs. A HR cannot be defensed. Take Howry's 8th inning last night- the Cards somiked 4 balls off of him, luckily 3 were right at us. Go back and look at the Pirates game the day before the break- at one point we had 3 runs on seven hits and they had 4 runs on 2 or 3 hits. Bay hit a bomb. Take our game vs. the Giants- I think we had 22 baserunners to their 13 - final score 9-8- Bonds 2hrs 6rbi. Home runs mean a ton in the game today. That is why the Brewers are winning our division and will be tough to catch.

weeghman Jul 25th 2007 10:02 pm

This has been a continued theme for the past 3 weeks. I think it's silly. I know it is cause we are all passionate fans, but 2 years ago we bitched that all we did was hit home runs and lose. Now we bitch that we are winning but not hitting home runs. Granted, the long ball is fun, and yes it's a quick way to score runs. And most of all in the late innings, playing from behind, it is one of the most exciting things in baseball.

The Cubs are playing really good fundamental baseball since early June. They have been the hottest team in baseball by being the best team in baseball, not by pitching ok and getting lucky by hitting a couple home runs. They are pitching very well. grinding the other teams pitching down then making solid contact and running the bases intelligently, also something lacking from the previous teams years.

I understand the wanting for dramatics, but honestly I am impressed as hell at this team and the way they have been playing.

ryno4ever Jul 25th 2007 10:33 pm

I'm started this post just because I really miss hearing the sound of the crack of the bat and the reactions that follow...believe me, I am more than happy that they are getting it done without the long ball... I just miss the whole "Home Run Experience!"