fogpog

fogpog (http://www.fogpog.com/index.php)
-   The Bleachers (http://www.fogpog.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   LaRussa or Lou (http://www.fogpog.com/showthread.php?t=5929)

ryno4ever Sep 9th 2009 9:52 am

LaRussa or Lou

Tony is being labled by some Chicago sports writers as the number one free agent this offseason.... here's a thought.....if it were possible to bring him to Chicago, would you rather have Lou or Tony?

LeeEila's/rant Sep 9th 2009 11:20 am

That is a no-brainer for me but i wonder if he would want to come here .

He has a friend with the Reds now.

VanMan Sep 9th 2009 1:14 pm

I clicked "neither," because I don't think LaRussa is the right fight for the Cubs, and Lou's worn out his welcome on the North Side. I'm thinking about someone like either Joe Maddon of the Rays or even Ryne Sandberg at Double-A Tennessee.

Bockstock Sep 9th 2009 2:28 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VanMan (Post 75858)
even Ryne Sandberg at Double-A Tennessee.

I know someone on this board went to alot of games at Peoria last year (Ryno4ever??) so maybe they have more input; but alot of things I've read about him doing game-management wise at AA this year make me somewhat opposed to him as manager.

LeeEila's/rant Sep 9th 2009 2:37 pm

With this team as it is today ryno would not be right . If it was a team with younger guys that came up through the system i would say sure but not this team. I would give him until June before he punches BigZ.

ryno4ever Sep 9th 2009 3:19 pm

As much as I love Ryno, he is not ready to manage the Cubs. This is the first year he will have managed a team that does not use the DH...a totally different style of coaching is involved. I would like to see him be the bench coach before actual manager so he can spend some time observing.

Bockstock Sep 9th 2009 3:29 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeEila's/rant (Post 75860)
I would give him until June before he punches BigZ.

Actually somewhat relevant, as Jay Jackson, probably the cubs top starting pitching prospect, was demoted to Daytona from Tennessee for unreported reasons, and from there promoted to all the way to AAA, skipping AA (I think most people assumed he'd start at AAA next year anyway, though).

Jntg4 Sep 9th 2009 4:47 pm

well Tennessee is AA, so they knew he had atleast AA stuff, not really skipping it.

However, I voted for Lou, considering he has gottenus the playoffs twice. If the team was healthy, maybe we'd be higher in the standings right, now, but it isn't Lou's fault everyone is injured.

LeeEila's/rant Sep 10th 2009 5:31 am

My problem is that Lou just now chose to have a team meeting , sit Soriano , put in a real lead off guy , plug in the right players for defence or offence ( watch the team play and not pull someone after they have been 3-3 ) , address the bullpen , pull pitchers at the right time , in other words , finally manage. We all wanted him to do this in june. If he did could this have worked then and repaired what ailed us before the end?

HEYHEY Sep 10th 2009 7:16 am

Brenly

ICcubfan Sep 11th 2009 9:02 am

I hate Tony

but the only consistent thing at the cards has been Tony and his bad haircuts. He is running away with a division with Todd Wellemeyer in his rotation! Got rid of one of the best defensive third basemen in the NL and still won. I don't know what he does other than win. I can't stand him but he wins.

Lou and Hendry make me wanna puke! I didn't like the offseason moves and don't like the team very much. I would trade Zambrano. I am through with his ****. Let somebody else try and make him go ab workouts. He is all talk and too much of it. If soto comes back as jabba the joint next year see ya!
We have tried this crap before with guys like Sosa. We don't have a Mark Grace holding guys accountable for lousy play. Lou is supposed to do that but won't. Bradley gone, Soriono is a DH lets get him to the AL asap but we have to eat some contract to do both. We haven't changed in 35 years! We need to trade older guys and go young and mix in good vets not selfish pricks.
rant over

Bockstock Sep 11th 2009 1:13 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ICcubfan (Post 75869)
Bradley gone, Soriono is a DH lets get him to the AL asap but we have to eat some contract to do both. We haven't changed in 35 years! We need to trade older guys and go young and mix in good vets not selfish pricks.
rant over

There's alot of problems ahead of Bradley, namely if Soriano is going to be effective, if Soto can recover and finding a new 2b, SS , or both.

Besides, the cubs don't have any good 'younger' guys. The team they have now is still the best chance to win next year considering all other situations and circumstances.

LeeEila's/rant Sep 11th 2009 2:25 pm

Quote:

The team they have now is still the best chance to win next year considering all other situations and circumstances.
It all comes down to our outfield production. It has been a combo-platter of all three , Bradley's slow start , Fukudome's stops and starts and Soriano's just plain sucking in everything. Bradley should be what he has always been next year. Who knows with Fukudome he may just keep improving and be better. Soriano , who the hell knows ? I think he sucks and offends every bit of my baseball sensibilities. We have to come up with power somewhere else if we don't have it in the outfield.

Last year we had Soto , Fontenot and Edmonds that made up for the power hitting outfield position we were lacking.

Like I said in an earlier post , there are so many question that need to be answered. I am damn glad I am not the GM.

Bockstock Sep 11th 2009 2:49 pm

Soto's month by month stats are pretty revealing

Two months of absolute sucktitude, everything other month is at least as good as his numbers last year. I think he'll recover next year.

taz57 Sep 12th 2009 12:54 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bockstock (Post 75872)
Soto's month by month stats are pretty revealing

Two months of absolute sucktitude, everything other month is at least as good as his numbers last year. I think he'll recover next year.

Every year the WBC comes up, I just cringe. Many of the players that participate get off to slow starts when the regular season starts. Soto got caught up in this. He was able to play with his hero "Pudge Rodriguiz", but I think he would have been better off training with the Cubs. And when he returned, his mentor Henry Blanco was no longer around to tutor him.

taz57 Sep 12th 2009 1:30 am

Sorry I got off topic...

I picked neither also. If Walt Jocketty and Dave Duncan comes with LaRussa, I'd be all for it, but it's not likely.

The Cubs will have a new owner in place by the start of next season. I think that this year has zapped all the energy out of Lou that he had left. I don't think he would be able to go another year. He gave it his best shot to bring all of us a championship for three seasons, but the window is closed. It's time for a change. Chicago is a tough place to win.

When Bob Brenly interviewed for the Milwaukee job, I thought he would get it. That proves that he still has the "fire in his belly" to manage. I always thought that catchers make the best managers. Brenly would be the best choice to manage the current team . He knows this team inside and out, and would be able to get results from the veteran players. Sandberg could be his bench coach. It would be a huge boost in his development. I have nothing against Trammel, but the Cubs need to start fresh with a new philosophy.

Bockstock Sep 12th 2009 7:46 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by taz57 (Post 75875)
Sorry I got off topic...

He knows this team inside and out, and would be able to get results from the veteran players. Sandberg could be his bench coach. It would be a huge boost in his development. I have nothing against Trammel, but the Cubs need to start fresh with a new philosophy.

I forgot about Trammel, I would pick him over any current choice.

I don't like Brenly or Ryno, but I do agree Lou looks tired and lost; What ever happened to Jody Davis?? I thought he was going to be groomed for 'future manager' or whatever??

ryno4ever Sep 12th 2009 11:44 am

I think Jody is still in the system, but not as a manager.... I think he is one of those guys in the player development aspect where he travels to the various levels and is a specialty instructor.

Jason Sep 13th 2009 10:32 pm

Tony, no question!