View Single Post
Old Oct 17th 2008, 10:28 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Cubs Top Prospects by Position

I think this is about the time of year they start coming out with lists, so I'd throw my $.02 out there

C
Wellington Castillo(AA) - could be at AAA next year at the age of 21, kind of pulled a Soto this year and is already an excellent defensive catcher. Could be good trade bait.

2B
Tony Thomas(A+)
Marquez Smith(A+)
Josh Harrison(A)
Some nice players, Marquez can play 3b too, nobody outstanding, more Hendry 2b-fetish I guess

SS
Ryan Flaherty (R)
people think he'll move to 2b, which wouldn't suprise me (Hendry)

3B
Josh Vitters(R)
Jovan Rosa(A)
Obviously Vitters is the cubs #1 prospect, hopefully he can have a big year at A. Either Rosa/Vitters might have to move to 1b.

OF
Brandon Guyer(A)
Tyler Colvin(AA)
Kyler Burke(R)
Drew Rundle(R)
Dylan Johnston(A)
Guyer was probably the Cubs break-out player out of the year offensively. I think enough has been said about Colvin. Johnston had a good year after his injury and moving to the OF. Rundle and Burke need to step it up a notch, but they are still only 19/20. People at BA and BP love Guyer because he's toolsy, but I think cub fans have heard enough of those words to describe 'can't-miss' OF prospects (Patterson,Harvey, Colvin,Pie)

SP
Shark (MLB)
Mitch Atkins(AAA)
Jay Jackson (A)
Chris Carpenter (R)
Aaron Schafer (R)
Rhee (A)
Nothing really solid except for Shark. Jay Jackson had a great half-year. The Cubs are expecting big things from Schafer and Carpenter. Ree was awesome before he went out with shoulder problems. Good numbers for a 19y/o in his first pro season at A.

RP

Jose Ceda
Andrew Cashner
Obviously one of the Cubs strengths in the minor leagues, which is both good/bad. Alot of guys like Estrada, Parker, Blackford, McDaniel, are good, but I just listed the obvious 2, since minor league RP are even more suspect than other propects.

My top ten would be
Vitters
Samardzija (I believe he still has prospect status)
Ceda
Cashner
Colvin
Castillo
Rhee
Rosa
Flaherty
Jackson