View Single Post
Old Oct 18th 2007, 6:31 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

I got a 1945 or '46 autographed CHC ball!

Just wanted to share this with everyone here on fogpog. Two nights ago I was visiting my parents and my dad gave me and autographed CHC ball. He said it was probably 50 or more years old. He got it several years ago as a gift from a good friend who was originally from Chicago. The friend gave it to my dad, because of my dad's love for baseball. I didn't even know the ball existed. I know he's had a display cabinet with all of his baseballs in it, but did not know that there was an autographed Cubs baseball in there! Just out of the blue the other night, my dad presented me with it!

The ball has over 20 signatures on it and the most legible was Peanuts Lowrey, so I went to the Baseball Almanac and started with that name. I found that Peanuts (Harry Lee) Lowrey had played with the Cubs from 1942-1955, so I started going through the team rosters for those years. I studied the signatures and started matching them up with the names from the 1945-1946 rosters. I still don't have all of the names deciphered, but here is a list of what I have so far:

Autographs from the CHC Ball

Claude Passeau
Ed Hanyzewski
Stan Hack
Heinz Becker
Lennie Merullo
Vern Olsen
Charlie Gilbert
John Ostrowski
Peanuts (Harry) Lowrey
Paul Erickson
Dom Dallessandro
Bill Nicholson
Frank Secory
Don Johnson
Paul Gillespie
Ray Prim
Eddie Waitkus
Hi Bithorn
Emmett O’Neill
Russ Meers
Billy Jurges

Ryno (Heather) and I are going to do research on these players and post what we learn about them in 'Cubs Knowledgebase' forum. Anyone is welcome to do the same. If you have any info that would help me in determining the year, please let me know.