View Single Post
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 5:14 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

UPDATE

Mark DeRosa, who left in an ambulance after suffering an irregular heartbeat Saturday, was taken to the hospital for precautionary reasons only, the Cubs said.

"Mark is doing fine," manager Lou Piniella said. "He came in with a rapid heartbeat from doing things on the field and (was) having a little trouble breathing. So they called in the medical team. He's completely stable. Better to be safe than sorry with an irregular heartbeat, so they sent him to the hospital for testing. But he's fine."
Source: Chicago Tribune

DeRosa update: 'Mark is doing fine'
By Paul Sullivan, 2:18 p.m.

MESA, Ariz. -- Mark DeRosa was taken to a local hospital during Saturday's practice with an irregular heartbeat, but the Cubs said it was for "precautionary reasons" only.

"Mark is doing fine," manager Lou Piniella said. "He came in with a rapid heartbeat from doing things on the field and (was) having a little trouble breathing. So they called in the medical team.

"He's completely stable. Better to be safe than sorry with an irregular heartbeat, so they sent him to the hospital for testing. But he's fine."

Paramedics arrived at Fitch Park shortly after noon, and DeRosa was hooked up to an EKG machine, placed on a stretcher and taken away in an ambulance around 12:25 p.m.

DeRosa, who has experienced irregular heartbeats in the past, was alert and sitting upright when he left.

"He's had this before and he's been able to modify it with breathing exercises," Piniella said. "But today it didn't go away. I talked to him. He was a little nervous, but outside that, he's OK."

DeRosa, who turns 33 on Wednesday, was taking grounders during infield practice when he began to feel shortness of breath, shortstop Ryan Theriot said.

"We all have it to a certain degree, the rapid heartbeat type of thing," Theriot said. "They did an EKG here and brought him over for precautionary reasons just to make sure everything was all right. It's something he's been dealing with since he was a little bitty dude.

"Personally, that's one of those things that just scares you. I've had the same scare a time or two in my life."

DeRosa was able to walk back to the complex, but immediately sat down as the Cubs training staff called the paramedics.

"He was fine throughout the whole thing," Theriot said. "I think it was just one of those deals, more scared than anything. I know he was joking around inside (the complex) before he left. Once he got out from the field, he was much better."

Last June, DeRosa suffered from an ocular migraine in Texas and lost partial vision in his left eye and had to be removed from a game. He had not experienced any heart problems while with the Cubs before Saturday.

Cubs general manager Jim Hendry suffered from an irregular heartbeat during the winter meetings in December 2006 and signed free agent Ted Lilly while hooked up to an EKG machine. Hendry eventually became more health conscious and has not experienced any problems since.

Piniella said he didn't know when DeRosa would get back on the field.

"It's scary," Piniella said. "Any time that it has something to do with the heart, obviously you worry about it. But look, everyone was pretty well assured that he's going to be just fine."