fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > Cubs Baseball > The Bleachers
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Dec 5th 2011, 12:32 pm
Veteran

My Mood:

Santo elected to the hall of fame

Suck it Joe Morgan you twat! Sorry Ronnie isn't here to see it-
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,7610229.story
Old Dec 5th 2011, 1:17 pm
MVP

My Mood:
Thank you for starting this thread and you beat me to it. I was going to entitle it: "No. 10 Train Now departing For Cloud 9".

This, of course, is long overdue! What took so long? Rumor has it that such blow-hard as the above-mentioned Joe "Gosh, I just love myself so much" Morgan and Mike "I'm a piece of ---- " Schmidt actively campaigned to keep Ron out. They succeeded for years but now they can kiss our butts. Ron belongs in the Hall. Election required 12 of 16 votes, Ron collected 15. One (1) clown voted no - I would love to know that voter was.
"Of all those numbers, this is what I'm most proud of -- of all those numbers, he never did complain, 'I feel this, I feel that,'" [former team-mate Billy] Williams said. "He went out and played the game the way it should be played and played hard. It was tough for him. But he still put up numbers that enabled him to be in the Baseball Hall of Fame."

Santo played 15 seasons from 1960-74, and is one of four players who had 2,000 hits, 300 home runs and 1,300 RBIs in that span, joining Hall of Famers Aaron, Frank Robinson and Williams.

Santo drove in 93-plus runs in eight straight seasons. From 1960-74, his 1,331 RBIs rank fifth. The entire top 10 of RBI leaders during that span was already in the Hall of Fame, and now that list is complete.

A nine-time All-Star, Santo was one of only two third basemen to have more than 300 home runs and five Gold Glove Awards. The other, Mike Schmidt, was elected to Cooperstown in his first year of eligibility with 96.5 percent of the vote.

Among Hall of Fame third basemen, Santo ranks third in home runs, fourth in walks, fifth in RBIs and sixth in hits.

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/art...s_chc&c_id=chc
It seems that the Hall tends to judge players almost entirely on offensive accomplishments and I believe that is unjust. Santo's numbers are more than good enough to have gotten him elected years ago imo. But Ron played a defense-first position. It may not be SS or CF but 3B is none-the-less an important and very difficult position. They don't call it "the Hot Corner" for no reason. Ron played third extremely well. I was fortunate enough to get to see him play and I've never seen anybody with his reactions or someone who could dive for a ball like he did - those Gold Gloves were legitimate. Great skills, great arm. Great 3B. Of his era only Brooks Robinson might be better and Brooks might be the best of all time (Baltimore had amazing pitching and defense but in the day.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...antoro01.shtml
Old Dec 5th 2011, 1:23 pm
Veteran

My Mood:

Thanks Skull

I have been so angry about this for so long I am glad you posted the rational stat based argument for Ronnie. I am well beyond rational discourse when it comes to Mighty Schitt and Jack Off Joe Moron.
Cheers!
Old Dec 5th 2011, 2:03 pm

My Mood:

Send a message via ICQ to VanMan Send a message via AIM to VanMan Send a message via MSN to VanMan Send a message via Yahoo to VanMan Send a message via Skype™ to VanMan
Three words about this...
ABOUT
FU--ING
TIME
Old Dec 9th 2011, 2:56 pm
Veteran

Ron Santo is above the 'sympathy vote'... He is a legitimate HOF player, who should have been in the hall years ago! I'm not going to lower myself to stating his case based on facts... It's just too dam obvious!

He should have been alive to recieve this honor! I'm more pissed than anything in hearing this news!
Old Dec 9th 2011, 3:01 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullKey View Post
This, of course, is long overdue! What took so long? Rumor has it that such blow-hard as the above-mentioned Joe "Gosh, I just love myself so much" Morgan and Mike "I'm a piece of ---- " Schmidt actively campaigned to keep Ron out.

Where did you hear this? I happened to catch 'This Old Cub' on the MLB network today... In it, I came across the part where Joe Morgan praised Ron Santo the player, and very clearly stated that Ron had his vote to make the HOF.
Old Dec 17th 2011, 9:05 am
MVP

My Mood:

All I can say is it's about time....well deserved. I just wish he could have enjoyed it when he was alive.
Sponsored Links