fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > Cubs Baseball > The Bleachers
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate
View Poll Results: Where should Soriano be batting in the lineup?
Leadoff (Lou's choice!) 7 38.89%
2nd behind The Riot 4 22.22%
Third, with Ram and Lee behind him 3 16.67%
Fifth...give Rammy some protection 4 22.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 27th 2007, 10:53 pm

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ryno4ever
Hot Topic on Chicago sports radio stations...

This topic has been brought up, discussed, analyzed, and argued for hours upon hours on Chicago's sports radio stations (670 The Score, ESPN 1000, and WGN's Sports Central) all week long.

With Soriano returning to the team this week, and admittingly not going to be 100% and Lou and Quade going to be over cautious about being aggressive with Soriano on the basepads, WHERE SHOULD SORIANO BAT IN THE LINEUP?
Old Aug 27th 2007, 10:57 pm

My Mood:
I'm going with 5th for the time being. He is coming back a week early, he isn't going to be 100%, and I would hate to see Soriano trying to be over-aggressive in that leadoff spot and we end up losing him for the rest of the year. Let him get back into the "swing of things" for a few games, and THEN perhaps put him back at the top.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 10:58 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno4ever View Post
This topic has been brought up, discussed, analyzed, and argued for hours upon hours on Chicago's sports radio stations (670 The Score, ESPN 1000, and WGN's Sports Central) all week long.

With Soriano returning to the team this week, and admittingly not going to be 100% and Lou and Quade going to be over cautious about being aggressive with Soriano on the basepads, WHERE SHOULD SORIANO BAT IN THE LINEUP?
Maybe second? I don't know, it's a good question. I just don't see Lou taking him out of the leadoff spot, does anybody else?
Old Aug 27th 2007, 11:00 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno4ever View Post
I'm going with 5th for the time being. He is coming back a week early, he isn't going to be 100%, and I would hate to see Soriano trying to be over-aggressive in that leadoff spot and we end up losing him for the rest of the year. Let him get back into the "swing of things" for a few games, and THEN perhaps put him back at the top.
Actually, this would make the most sense at this particular juncture, but again, I just don't see Lou doing it.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 11:03 pm

My Mood:
Lou has already said Soriano will be leading off.... but the media in Chicago...and all of the fans calling in are really wanting to see him bat lower in the lineup, at least for a couple of weeks.

Here is today's article on it:
Quote:
First things first: Piniella right on

August 28, 2007

Those in the Wrigleyville area should expect a loud roar at about 7:15 p.m. Tuesday night. It will come when Alfonso Soriano settles into the batter's box for the first time since Aug. 5, crowding the plate, glaring toward the mound and daring Brewers right-hander Jeff Suppan to throw him a fastball.

This will happen right off the bat in the bottom of the first inning.

Cubs manager Lou Piniella doesn't appear to have given a minute's thought to a favorite topic of Chicago talk radio: dropping Soriano into the middle of the order—third and fifth were the most frequently suggested options—so that the pesky Ryan Theriot could remain in the leadoff spot.

Piniella is doing the right thing by keeping Soriano as his leadoff man. It's the only thing that makes sense, really, and not because of Soriano's self-image as a leadoff hitter.

That's the reason most people have offered for Piniella to keep hitting Soriano leadoff. But this really isn't about anyone's feelings.

Not in the last week before Labor Day. Not with the Cubs nursing a 1 1/2 -game lead in a National League Central race that now includes the St. Louis Cardinals and soon might add the Cincinnati Reds.

Piniella's concern is constructing a lineup he can win with even if the team's second-half power outage continues—the Cubs have hit an NL-low 30 homers since the All-Star break.

By hitting Soriano first, he has Theriot available for the No. 2 spot.

That's a much better combination at the top of the order than the ones that Piniella used while Soriano was out: Theriot-Jacque Jones (13 times); Theriot-Mark DeRosa (2 times); Theriot-Jason Kendall (2 times); Theriot-Mike Fontenot (1 time); and Theriot-Ronny Cedeno (1 time).

It was unclear if it was intentional, but Piniella did say something on Sunday in Phoenix that could give some hope to those who see Soriano as more valuable driving in runs than scoring them.

"We'll put Soriano back in the leadoff spot, Theriot in the two hole, and then we'll adjust," Piniella said.

Ideally, this will be the time Piniella won't have to adjust. Theriot is hitting .314 in the leadoff spot, but he's also the perfect guy to work counts and move Soriano along with balls hit to right field.

This is the right combination to put pressure on pitchers and make things a little easier for the guys in the middle of the lineup—Derrek Lee, Aramis Ramirez and some combination of Jones, Cliff Floyd and Craig Monroe in the fifth and sixth spots.

Given the lingering concern about Soriano's torn right quadriceps, he can't be expected to be at the top of his game when he comes back. But he will still have a presence that announces here we come.

Piniella and Soriano's teammates will be thrilled to have him back.

"To his credit, he's a hard worker and a good healer," Piniella said. "It's been real impressive. He's about a week ahead of schedule."

That's a week ahead of the most optimistic schedule.

When Soriano limped off the Wrigley Field infield, having hurt himself rounding second base in an attempt to go first to third on a Theriot single against the Mets on Aug. 5, there was such a hush in the stands you could have heard Ron Santo's hairpiece fall to the radio-booth floor.

This was the stuff of the here-we-go-again-Cubs, the team that has taught generations of Midwesterners to fear September more than tax day. It counts as more of a relief that Soriano returns with the Cubs in first place than a disappointment that they went 8-11 without him.

"We've held our own," Piniella said. "We've had a couple of tough road trips out west, and we've held our own."

Piniella paused for a moment or two in mid-thought.

"We'll leave it at that," he said. "We've kept ourselves in decent shape as far as the races are concerned."

The Central race, of course, is the only one that concerns the Cubs.

They were four games out in the NL's tepid wild-card race through Sunday. If they're good enough to stay that close in one involving teams such as the Padres, Phillies, Braves and Dodgers, they'll easily be good enough to win the Central.

If Soriano helps the Cubs go 19-14 the rest of the way, they'll win 85 games and force Milwaukee (20-12) and St. Louis (22-13) to have great finishes to catch them.

If they go 14-19, however, they'll finish 80-82 and the Central might wind up with one of the silliest playoffs in history: a three-team, two-day baseball festival to crown the first-ever division champ with a losing record.

"We're down to five weeks of baseball," Piniella said. "It'll be fun."

He's right, although it remains to be seen if it's traditional fun or the twisted kind
Old Aug 27th 2007, 11:24 pm
All-Star

My Mood:

Send a message via Yahoo to Jason
I have always thought he should bat 2nd!!!

Talk about INSTANT OFFENSE -- Theriot is a great contact hitter... single from Ryan and a blast from Soriano! I wish they would at LEAST try it for a week.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 11:29 pm

My Mood:
That's kinda the feelings of the Chi-town sports radio callers.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 11:32 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I have always thought he should bat 2nd!!!

Talk about INSTANT OFFENSE -- Theriot is a great contact hitter... single from Ryan and a blast from Soriano! I wish they would at LEAST try it for a week.
You may get your wish, Jason. If Lou's plan backfires, we all know he has never been afraid to juggle.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 3:00 am
All-Star

My Mood:

Idealy, the best spot for Soriano would be 5th behind Ramirez. 2nd would be the next option. Leadoff might be where he is most comfortable, but it is not in the best interests of the team. I don't know why Lou and Hendry tip-toe around this guy, he already got his 136 mil. They are too worried about hurting his feelings.

DeRosa was promised the 2b job when he signed, but accepted a utility role for the good of the team with no complaints. Where would the Cubs be now without DeRosa's unselfishness?
Old Aug 28th 2007, 3:59 am
MVP

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz57 View Post
Idealy, the best spot for Soriano would be 5th behind Ramirez. 2nd would be the next option. Leadoff might be where he is most comfortable, but it is not in the best interests of the team. I don't know why Lou and Hendry tip-toe around this guy, he already got his 136 mil. They are too worried about hurting his feelings.

DeRosa was promised the 2b job when he signed, but accepted a utility role for the good of the team with no complaints. Where would the Cubs be now without DeRosa's unselfishness?
He hits .310 in the leadoff, .179 batting third, and is 0-8 in the 5th spot. I think its in the best interest of the team to leave him where he is at. I remember early in the year when they switched his defensive position on the field and it affected him at the plate. Don't try and fix something that isn't broke.
Sponsored Links