fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > Cubs Baseball > The Bleachers
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Oct 7th 2007, 12:36 am
MVP

My Mood:

Was this season that bad?

I am one of those people who thinks this season was a good season. The young guys got lots of experience, we discovered our new catcher for next year and maybe years to come (Soto could be a good one), Marmol created talk of ousting Dempster for the closers role, we saw some boxing matches , rooted out some guys who were holding us back (Barrett), signed some key guys long term and are hopefully building a contending team for years to come. I still think the "Piniella Effect" has a ways to go though.

On the flip side, our team was better than that. Zambrano should have won 20+ games if it wasn't for all the distractions he created. Lee, A-Ram, and Soriano had down seasons. Theriot IMO got tired the last 2 months, can't blame him. Pie showed very little. Floyd had a bad year, on and off the field (we all can relate to that in one way or another). Murton was average at best, Cedeno was a non-factor. Ward had a good season IMO, hes gotta be resigned, and if Blanco is not already under contract, he need to be resigned too, those kind guys are crucial.

That the way I see this past season. Please tell me the way you all see it.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 12:44 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

I see it pretty much the way you do, Neifi. It actually turned out better than I could have expected (other than this final series). We've come a long way from the end of last season. Who could have predicted in April and May, even June that we'd be the NL Central Champions? To me that's a major accomplishment and I prefer to remember that moment with all of the champagne spraying around the Cinci clubhouse. I think they just lost their steam. They were worn out, then had too many days off after clinching the division and got distracted. Lou learned a lot from this season and will use it to the Cubs' advantage.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 12:47 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Oh and yes, Cedeno was a non-factor.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 1:03 am
MVP

My Mood:
" ..... Cedeno was a non-factor ..... "

Cedeno is a non player.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 1:06 am

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ryno4ever
The expectations were SOOOO high because, 1. the organization told us to expect great things and wins.... and 2. The money spent. It was a great season, don't get me wrong.... it is just a very very very disappointing end to how hard they fought to get there.

With all of the new faces in the clubhouse, I think this team did very well in a short amount of time, especially faced with all of the distractions it had.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 1:53 am
MVP

My Mood:
" ..... I still think the "Piniella Effect" has a ways to go though. ..... "

I do not know what "the Piniella effect" is but if you mean learning how to win ( which is far and away the most important thing this team - and organization - could possibly learn ) then I think Lou made major strides forward with major strides yet to be made. This team has an astounding amount of "bad vibes" and negative mindset yet to overcome. It's going to be a difficult 'row to hoe'. It is my opinion that if they do not take the standard candy-ass "clean house" approach and instead, very wisely, allow the machine that has been set in motion to run, and fulflill, it's course ther will be eventual vindication and justification. By "eventual" I mean within a year or two.

The Cubs are on the right course. They need to learn that, understand and realize that they are, indeed, winners! Nothing else even comes close. All accomplishment , like all creation, begins in the mind.

There will no doubt be arguments and suggestions this way and that about talent re-alignment and endless re-shuffling of "the talent card" but it is foolish and idiotic. The talent readjustment required is relativelly minor and constitutes "fine-tunig": I have pressed for a consistent RF for God knows how long and closer and a couple (at worst) other spots need addressing. This roster has pretty much all the talent it needs. MAXIMUM UTILIZATION OF THAT TALENT is the challenge.

This was - all in all - an EXTREMELY positive and accomplished season. The Cubs - for all intents and purposes - will cease being "losers" as soon as they decide they are winners and realize they are not losers.

They will THEN - and only then - begin to win BIG (i.e.: World Series Championships).

The 2008 season will be much more satisfying and successful if the new management / ownership does not screw it up and start some idiotic "5 year building plan" or some foolish and wasteful nonsense.

The Cubs already are winners and champions their goal for the furture is to take the next steps to the higher levels. They can do it. They will do it - beginning in 2008. I challange anyone (including the most diehard White Sox or Cardinal fan ) to convince me why not. You cannot do it.

WINNERS ARE CREATED IN THE MIND and the mental approach of this team has a way to go .

Nurture and develop was is (an established winner) and develop from there.

It cannot be ignored or evaded that the Cubs, once again, lost rather than were beaten. That must change.

The 2007 Cubs did not fail they accomplished. They will accomplish much more in 2008.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 5:30 am
All-Star

My Mood:

Great post SkullKey,

You pretty much summed it up what has to be done. I like what you said about the mental approach to the game.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 10:40 am
MVP

My Mood:

I'm not disappointed this year,I just felt we could have done better in the post season,keep the core,add Cuban as owner,A-Rod at short,Lofton at center and two 15+ game winners and I'll wake up from my dream ,hopefully 2 of those wishes come true!
Old Oct 7th 2007, 11:06 am
MVP

My Mood:

Send a message via AIM to HOLYCOW!25
Well of course I'm disappointed, but that's because I still can't get the image of Arizona celebrating on Wrigley Field is still branded inside my head. But this was a good season, and I think if we can just get a set outfield for next year, then we're in pretty good shape.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 1:26 pm

My Mood:

Send a message via ICQ to VanMan Send a message via AIM to VanMan Send a message via MSN to VanMan Send a message via Yahoo to VanMan Send a message via Skype™ to VanMan
I had mentioned in another thread that the guys need to go to a psychologist to get in their heads how to win and to forget about curses or what not. They might also want to consult with the Red Sox players from '04 to see what they did to rid themselves of the Curse of the Bambino in their minds before making that big comeback.
Sponsored Links