fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > Cubs Baseball > The Bleachers
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Mar 2nd 2007, 8:20 am

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ryno4ever
THIS is why Pinella is the Cubs new manager!

Quote:
Much ado in Lou debut
Cubs' sloppy play already has Piniella hot under collar

March 2, 2007
BY GORDON WITTENMYER Staff Reporter
MESA, Ariz. -- Maybe they can try this ''Cubbie Swagger'' thing another day.

For now, the Cubs will settle for the fact that the Lou Piniella era has arrived. There was no mistaking that Thursday.

It arrived with the steam that rose from the manager between the sixth and ninth innings of a meaningless game against the San Francisco Giants -- somewhere between three unearned runs in the sixth and four more in the ninth.
''You don't like to see errors in these games,'' a visibly irritated Piniella said after a 1-0 game disintegrated into a 9-2 loss because of sloppiness that included two errors by third baseman Scott Moore and one by shortstop Ronny Cedeno. ''They're part of it, but we gave up seven with three boots.''

None of the projected starters committed an error, and starting pitcher Jason Marquis had a smooth, two-inning start.

''But I'm talking about playing good, crisp baseball games,'' said Piniella, who was making his Cubs debut, ''and I don't like the idea of throwing the ball around, even though it's spring training. So from that standpoint, I'm not pleased.''

Whether it leads to extra infield practice in the coming days or a harsher tone in drills, Piniella's postgame response spoke volumes about his expectations and his low tolerance for ugly baseball.

Three times in the media session, he was asked about other issues in the game. All three times, he came back to the sloppiness that created the difference in a game that doesn't count.

''What it has to do with is if you want to win baseball games, whether it's now or three months from now, you've got to make plays,'' he said. ''That's all.''

His frustration at times rising, Piniella kept his composure through follow-up questions that might have provoked an outburst a decade or so earlier in his managing career.

At one point, a line of questioning about Alfonso Soriano's first day in center field -- which amounted to one fly ball, which he caught -- seemed as though it had wound down to a tedious end when a Chicago radio guy in his first day at camp asked one more.

''You think it'll take 20 days to evaluate him out there?'' the reporter asked.

''How many you want it to take?'' a clearly exasperated Piniella shot back. ''How many you want it to take? Give me a number.''

Opening Day isn't for another month, but Piniella brought more than a new face to his debut. He brought a game face -- to an exhibition game.

And he made this much clear about the Piniella Era after its first nine innings: Losing won't be pleasant, even in spring training. And losing sloppily won't be tolerated.

The media weren't the only ones who got the message.

''That's one of the reasons they brought him in here,'' said catching prospect Jake Fox, who had a pinch-hit single. ''He's a guy that hates to lose, and he's going to make you pay for it.''

Not that the Cubs didn't do a few things right.

First baseman Derrek Lee, who missed all but 50 games last season because of a broken wrist, lined a base hit in his first at-bat. Third baseman Aramis Ramirez, second baseman Mark DeRosa and right fielder Jacque Jones made some nice plays. And Marquis, the sinkerball pitcher the Cubs signed as a free agent this winter, got four of his six outs on ground balls, including an inning-ending double play in the second.

''I was interested in seeing Marquis today, and the ball had some sink on it, and that's really what was important as far as today's game was concerned,'' Piniella said. ''I don't like to be sloppy. But at the same time, it's the first game. We got it out of the way, we pitched a lot of people, we played a lot of people and you're going to expect these sorts of things.

''But we've got to get better at it. That's all I'm saying. Nothing more, nothing less.''

And nothing that 31 more games of Cactus League play won't weed out.

''Hey, listen, we've got a lot of work to do,'' Piniella said. ''What can I say?''

gwittenmyer@suntimes.com
I like the fact he was so passionate about the FIRST Spring Training game, but I hope Lou realizes that the media circus has just begun for him! Welcome to Chicago, Lou!
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 8:29 am
MVP

My Mood:

I was just reading a similar story in the Tribune. I love it! It is a complete turn around from the way Dusty managed and I also like the fact that he doesn't take any **** from the press. He's right. They are looking for Soriano to go out and go 5 for 5 with 2 hr 7 rbi's and 4 sb's in the first spring training game all while gunning 3 guys at the plate, but then they want to give Cedano a pass when he makes two errors that lead to multiple runs. Definitely not a good way for Cedano to start off though. It is the first game, but also bad baseball should NEVER be tolerated. Most of these guys have been doing this all of their lives. No Excuses!!! (that should be our new motto)
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 8:33 am
Veteran

My Mood:

I am thrilled!

If you accept this crap in spring training then you can learn to accept shoddy play anytime. Cheers Lou!

Old Mar 2nd 2007, 8:39 am
Veteran

My Mood:

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by roenick99 View Post
I was just reading a similar story in the Tribune. I love it! It is a complete turn around from the way Dusty managed and I also like the fact that he doesn't take any **** from the press. He's right. They are looking for Soriano to go out and go 5 for 5 with 2 hr 7 rbi's and 4 sb's in the first spring training game all while gunning 3 guys at the plate, but then they want to give Cedano a pass when he makes two errors that lead to multiple runs. Definitely not a good way for Cedano to start off though. It is the first game, but also bad baseball should NEVER be tolerated. Most of these guys have been doing this all of their lives. No Excuses!!! (that should be our new motto)
"No Excuses"-Alice in Chains,that should be the team song for 2007!!
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 10:58 am
Rookie

My Mood:

The thing that bugged me the most about Dusty is that he was such a "players coach" he turned them into baby's (and we lost Stoney in the process). Lou holding all the players accountable is awesome and so refreshing.
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 2:22 pm
Rookie

My Mood:

Read that article, too. I'm very excited about Lou and the Cubs. I bet the game today is much more smoothly played by our Cubs.

-Scout
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 6:35 pm
MVP

My Mood:
I love to see that type of fire in the manager. If the manager has that fire, then odds are the players will too. Look at the Bad Boy attitude he brought to Cincy in 1990 when they won a WS. Yes he wrestled with Dibble, but Dibble respects the hell out of him.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 2:42 am
Veteran

My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Waveland007 Send a message via Yahoo to Waveland007
if this were Dusty's interview it would have been like, "it's cool man stuff happens"
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 3:02 am

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ryno4ever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveland007 View Post
if this were Dusty's interview it would have been like, "it's cool man stuff happens"
You forgot that the word "Dude" has to be inserted into that sentence somewhere!

Another thing I noticed.... the word "Dude" and been replaced by a very stern sounding "Look..." Next time you watch an interview with Lou, count how many times he starts a sentence with... "Look...." (Not complaining, I'll take that over "Dude" anyday!)
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 7:37 am
MVP

My Mood:

Send a message via AIM to Webgem Send a message via MSN to Webgem
I saw that post game conference on Sportsnite.....Lou wasn't happy