fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > FP's Sports Pub > Around The Horn
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Oct 26th 2009, 7:13 pm
Veteran

My Mood:

Send a message via AIM to thisistheday
Derek Jeter opinions?

Yesterday saw the dawn of an epic battle in my house. My sister and I got into a debate with my brother on the subject of Derek Jeter. The thing started with one party expressing a loathing of Jeter, and the other party countering that hate of the man isn't justified. Without, at least for now, revealing which party was mine, I'd like to ask what the popular opinion here is. We've all been looking to other baseball fans opinions in attempt to support our theories.
So, good folks of FogPog, I'd appreciate any thoughts you'd care to share.
The best thing you can do for your fellow, next to rousing his conscience, is not to give him things to think about, but to wake things up that are in him; or say, to make him think things for himself. -G.M.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 7:18 pm
Veteran

My Mood:

P.S. One of the more popular responses my sister has gotten on this subject is that Derek Jeter is really easy to look at. If this is your view, you may keep it to yourself as it is completely unhelpful.
The best thing you can do for your fellow, next to rousing his conscience, is not to give him things to think about, but to wake things up that are in him; or say, to make him think things for himself. -G.M.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 8:21 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

I too used to despise Jeter , until I really saw he played and conducted himself as a baseball player. I now see him as one of the best ball players in the game today. He is a selfless player at the plate or playing his position and he is always there for his teammates , if someone hits a homer Jeter is at the top off the steps to slap them on the back.

I must also admit I really like this Yankee team , it is complete with players who conduct themselves as professionals . I don't know if is a credit to the manager or to the personality of the franchise.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 3:54 pm
Veteran

My Mood:

Thanks for the reply! If anybody else would care to chime in, I'm still interested.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 11:18 pm

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ryno4ever
I have always loathed the Yankees...with the EXCEPTION of Jeter. I love his style of play on the field and off the field. I really gained a lot of respect for him when I saw an episode of Oprah where she spotlighted his children's charity that he has started... he does a lot for the kids in his hometown of Kalamazoo, Michigan.

On the field... I love how his leadership skills seem to shine above all of the controversary that followed this team with the Pettite and A-Rod scandals... and yet, he found a way to take the spotlight off of them and get the focus back on the team.

Not to mention how many times have we seen the highlights of him flying into the stands to catch balls.... he gives 110% in everything he does.

His autobiography is a good read....

AND..he is a good dose of eye-candy, to ice the cake!
Old Nov 14th 2009, 2:59 am
All-Star

My Mood:

Jeter at this stage of his career is not the best shortstop out there, but he is the best leader of his team that I have seen in a long time. He proves that you don't have to be the most talented player on the team to earn the most respect from his teammates. He carries himself very well on and off the field. I was most impressed during the playoffs and World Series how he was the first one out of the dugout to congratulate his teammates for a big hit or a great play.
Old Nov 14th 2009, 3:37 am
All-Star

My Mood:

Since we are on a Yankees theme on this thread, I would like to congratulate Joe Girardi for a great job in 2009. He was our golden boy from Peoria when he got his first shot in the big leagues. I know that some people think Girardi would have been a better choice than Lou, but I disagree.

The Cubs in 2007 needed a manager that commanded respect by his presence alone. Girardi would have never got that respect. Lou took what he had to work with to three winning seasons. That's a first in all of our lifetimes.

Girardi played the remainder of his career with the Yankees and learned from one of the best, Joe Torre. He later became a coach for Torre before pursuing a managing position with the Marlins. In his lone season in south Florida, he earned Manager of the Year, but it ended ugly with Girardi telling the Marlins owner where to get off.
Old Nov 14th 2009, 8:52 am
MVP

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz57 View Post
Since we are on a Yankees theme on this thread, I would like to congratulate Joe Girardi for a great job in 2009. He was our golden boy from Peoria when he got his first shot in the big leagues. I know that some people think Girardi would have been a better choice than Lou, but I disagree.

The Cubs in 2007 needed a manager that commanded respect by his presence alone. Girardi would have never got that respect. Lou took what he had to work with to three winning seasons. That's a first in all of our lifetimes.

Girardi played the remainder of his career with the Yankees and learned from one of the best, Joe Torre. He later became a coach for Torre before pursuing a managing position with the Marlins. In his lone season in south Florida, he earned Manager of the Year, but it ended ugly with Girardi telling the Marlins owner where to get off.
Very good post. When Lou was hired it was time for Lou and not Joe.

I do have to disagree with 1 thing. I thought telling off the Marlins owner (forget his name) was a beautiful thing!

" ... he is the best leader of his team that I have seen in a long time ... "

AMEN! For the better part of a decade I've believed that Jeter was the one single player the Cubs most needed because of his leadership. And don't forget he carries a very big stick to the plate. Jeter batted second (or lead-off) most of his career and I've always wondered how much a move a few yards across the diamond to 2B might have helped his "D" (never his strong point). All of which has always had me wondering just how smoothly he might have stepped into the shoes of a guy named Sandberg?
Old Nov 15th 2009, 12:32 pm
Veteran

My Mood:

Thank you all! I'm glad that you guys are all on the right side of the fence.
Sponsored Links