fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > FP's Sports Pub > Around The Horn
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Mar 14th 2007, 5:16 pm
Administrator

My Mood:
Send a message via ICQ to scuba Send a message via AIM to scuba Send a message via Yahoo to scuba
Arrow Rose admits to betting on Reds EVERY GAME!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2798498

It's not really a surprise to me, but what I don't understand is if you're him, why take so long to come out and admit it? You fight for this long trying to convince people you didn't do it, and then you admit to it and make yourself out to be a liar. Not to mention, if he would have admitted it from the beginning he might actually have a shot at being in the HOF. I believe he should be in based on his numbers, but I don't see how he ever gets in, in my opinion.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 5:19 pm
MVP

Send a message via AIM to DLee25
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba View Post
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2798498

It's not really a surprise to me, but what I don't understand is if you're him, why take so long to come out and admit it? You fight for this long trying to convince people you didn't do it, and then you admit to it and make yourself out to be a liar. Not to mention, if he would have admitted it from the beginning he might actually have a shot at being in the HOF. I believe he should be in based on his numbers, but I don't see how he ever gets in, in my opinion.
I agree, but he isn't getting into the HOF now, and he is banned from even being on an MLB field, which has prevented him from being on the Reds field, and them retiring #14. I watched sportscenter and learned something this morning.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 5:23 pm
MVP

My Mood:

Send a message via AIM to HOLYCOW!25
I thought he had already admitted to betting, but this was just that he bet for every game.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 5:49 pm
Administrator

My Mood:
Send a message via ICQ to scuba Send a message via AIM to scuba Send a message via Yahoo to scuba
Yeah, sorry holycow, didn't mean to make it sound like he was just now admitting to betting in general. I've changed the title of the thread.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 6:07 pm
MVP

My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to BigZ38
As much as I don't like the fact that someone bet on baseball when he was in the sport I want him to make the HOF. Has he ever said that he did it as a player?? If he didn't then he should go in as a player and only a player.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 6:08 pm
MVP

My Mood:

Send a message via AIM to Webgem Send a message via MSN to Webgem
I don't know if many of you have ever watched him play. He was probably the best pure hitter that I've ever seen. The guy played the game in one mode.....HARD....no matter what the score was or what the situation was.

He was wrong for what he did but the guy was a great baseball player.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 6:08 pm
MVP

My Mood:

Send a message via AIM to HOLYCOW!25
Ok cool, I was a bit confused.

But yea, I think he should be in the HoF, he definetly has the stats to be in. And it's not like it really hurt the game. And I mean, I doubt Selig never bet on a game before.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 8:02 am

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ryno4ever
Post Pete Rose admits to betting on his team daily

Quote:
For years, Pete Rose denied betting on baseball while he was manager of the Cincinnati Reds.

Now he admits to betting on his team every time they took the field.

Rose made the admission Wednesday while speaking on ESPN Radio to discuss the new Pete Rose exhibit that will be on display at the Reds Hall of Fame.

"I bet on my team every night. I didn't bet on my team four nights a week. I was wrong," said Rose, who accepted a lifetime ban for gambling in 1989.

"I bet on my team to win every night because I love my team, I believe in my team," he added. "I did everything in my power every night to win that game."

It was a somewhat stunning admission given that Rose spent nearly 15 years denying he'd ever bet on baseball. Only in 2004 did Rose acknowledge in his most recent autobiography that he made baseball wagers while managing the Reds. If reinstated, the 65-year-old Rose said he would like to again manage in the majors.

The career hits leader also said he supported Barry Bonds and Mark McGwire, who fell far short in his first time on the Hall of Fame ballot.

"Don't penalize McGwire because you think other guys are taking steroids," Rose said.

Rose finished his career in 1986 with 4,256 lifetime hits. He was managing the Reds in 1989 when he agreed to a lifetime ban after an investigation of his gambling.

The new Rose exhibit at Great American Ball Park includes more than 300 items and will be up for nearly a year. Major League Baseball had to give permission for the display.

"When you're in my position, you're happy with anything," Rose said.

Rose also said during the interview that he's no longer concerned about whether he'll ever be reinstated or if he'll ever be admitted into the Hall of Fame.

"I quit worrying about it," Rose said.
I was listening to this interview when it aired, and I was a shocked as the guys on the radio were that he was admitting to this over the air!
Old Mar 15th 2007, 12:24 pm
MVP

My Mood:
He is trying to get some public support so he can get reinstated. He hopes that by saying he bet on them to win, people will think he did nothing wrong, because he would do anything to help them win. I do not agree with that, but I thinl that is part of his plan to get reinstated in baseball.