fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > Cubs Baseball > Holy Cow!
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Nov 18th 2006, 2:02 am
MVP

My Mood:

Send a message via AIM to HOLYCOW!25
How did you become a Cubs fan?

Now, I guess I'll say that I've always been a Cubs fan, but I wasn't a real fan until last year. Before that it was more of just whenever people asked me who I liked better, I said Cubs. And I only paid attention when they were doing good, so not much. But then last year one day, I was home sick, and I was flipping through the channels, and they were showing a game from the World Baseball Classic. And I had been hearing about it for awhile, and since I really like international competition, I figured I would watch, and I really got into it. But when the WBC wasn't on, I wanted more baseball, so I would watch some of the Cubs Spring Training games they showed on TV, and I started goin on their website to see how everything was going. Then came their first game of the season, and I was just blown away. I went online, got some tickets for a day I knew I had off, bought my first Cubs jersey, and I've been a fanatic ever since.

So unfortunatly, I'm not as experienced and seasoned Cubs fans as most of you guys are, but hey, it doesn't matter how long you've loved the Cubs, it's how much you do.
Old Nov 18th 2006, 6:16 am
Veteran

My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Waveland007 Send a message via Yahoo to Waveland007
My story is funky and it shows you that sometimes you are just born a fan of a certain team. My whole family is from St. Louis except me I was born and raised in Las Vegas with my mom. Everybody in my family is Cardinal fans and my Grandpa worked security at the Old Sportsmans Park a long time ago for the Cardinal baseball and back then football team so you would think I would be a Cardinal fan, but since I was 3 I have been a Cub fan I use to watch them on WGN when I was a baby and never stoped watching or loving them. My family hates that I am and gives me crap, but I know I'm the smart one lol. When I visit them I make sure to come off the plane wearing all Cub gear lol. I remember in 2003 I went to a game at Busch and a game at Wrigley I wore a Cardinals suck t-shirt lmao it was priceless. So I would have to say I was born with cubby blue flowing through the veins.
Old Nov 18th 2006, 12:33 pm
Administrator

My Mood:
Send a message via ICQ to scuba Send a message via AIM to scuba Send a message via Yahoo to scuba
I was pretty much born a Cubs fan. I haven't rooted for any other team (except I kind of like the Red Sox in the AL) and have always liked the Chicago teams (except the White Sox of course). I've been through all the tough times as a Cubs fan, loved the Bulls even before they started winning championships, and have always been behind my Bears. If there is one thing that annoys me, it is fair-weather fans and people who jump on the bandwagon just because a team is doing good. Stick to your roots and I believe you will get much more out of being a fan.

And wave, how were things this year with the Cards winning it all? I would imagine your family gave you some crap about that!
Old Nov 18th 2006, 1:06 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Talking How I became a Cubs fan

My story is a bit funky too. I was born and raised in Phoenix and was NEVER a baseball fan, much less one of the Chicago Cubs. It all changed during the 2003 season. A lot of my friends are transplants from Chicago and have been talking to me about the Cubs for YEARS. I finally actually started watching games during the '03 season and really got into it when they made the playoffs. I would go to sports bars with friends to watch and I couldn't believe how important it was to their fans that they win! I actually saw people cry when the fan grabbed the ball that was meant for Alou!

Being a journalist, I had to look into the situation deeper. I asked as many of the people there, why they were so disappointed, angry, hurt, frustrated, etc. They were all ages, male and female and they all had such interesting stories about what the Cubs meant to them and what it means to be a fan. It seemed to be a "way of life" for most of them.

It made me realize that there must really be something to this, people don't get this worked up over just nothing. When the season ended, I noticed a strange feeling that something was missing from my daily routine. I realized it was the excitement of the Cubs games!! I also realized that I really missed the camaraderie I had enjoyed with the other fans, watching the players and learning about the game, the excitement of home runs and the player who seemed to have become my favorite, ARam!!

I heard about their website and started clicking onto it daily to check up and see what was going on. By the time opening day came around, I had the game schedule posted in my office and front row tickets for the upcoming Phoenix games against the D-Backs. (By the way, my whole family is made up of D-Backs fans and it really irks them that I love the Cubs so much. I also take the opportunity to wear Cubs gear to most of the family functions)!

By the '05 season I had been given a Ramirez jersey the previous Christmas and again had front row tickets to all 3 Phoenix games, as well as the MLB Extra Innings package added to my digital cable, so I wouldn't have to risk missing a game!!

So, that's my story of how a girl who is a native of Phoenix and never liked baseball became a Cubs fan for life!
Old Nov 18th 2006, 10:09 pm
Veteran

My Mood:
it sucked scuba, but atleast I had the who has the life time record head to head and who won the last 2 seasons head to head insult lol.
Old Nov 18th 2006, 10:42 pm
Administrator

My Mood:
Send a message via ICQ to scuba Send a message via AIM to scuba Send a message via Yahoo to scuba
At least you had something to come back with, wave!

And ARamfan, good to see another Cub fan on board. Looks like you have an idea now of how it can consume you, for better or worse.
Old Nov 18th 2006, 11:03 pm
Veteran

My Mood:
scuba you said you kinda like the Red Sox for AL yeah that's cool being on the West Coast I get the Angels game almost everyday so I adopted them as my AL team. I hated them for a couple weeks though when they tried to steal Aramis from us lol.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 6:19 am
All-Star

My Mood:

I been a fan since my grandparents took me to Wrigley in 1983. It was a game between the Cubs vs Pirates, and Mel Hall hit a game winning double. So ever since then I been bleeding Cubbie blue.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 11:00 am
All-Star

My Mood:

I myself was born a Cub fan. My Great Grandma was born and raised in Chicago and she passed it on to my Grandma, then to my Dad....well you get the picture.

I remember watching the Cubs on WGN with my Dad when I was little. I would wait in anticipation for the 7th so I could sing along with Harry.

I idolized Ryno, The Hawk, and Jodi Davis and I even named my first pet, a cat, Ryne.

Now I can't wait until I can pass it down to my kids!!! Although it may be tough because I live in Minnesota and married a Twins fan.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 9:09 pm
All-Star

Send a message via Yahoo to dundeecub
I have no particular reason at all to support the Cubs*, but I have for a couple of years, and it really works for me (if that makes sense: it just feels right). It does bother me a bit that I don't actually know/remember though...

*My leading theory is that it relates to the Chicago Fire (being British, I'm a 'soccer' fan) having a good team a few years ago and beginning to support Chicago teams in general. But this doesn't explain why I don't root for the Sox, so "shrug".

dc
Sponsored Links