fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > FP's Sports Pub > NFL Football
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Jun 8th 2008, 11:46 am
All-Star

My Mood:
NY Jets (Draft and Beyond)

So being a Jets fan i thought i would get a thread going up on here, even though i don't expect there to be many other Jets fans hanging around here.

Watching the draft i can't say how pissed i was at the Jets fans in attendence, booing the signing of Keller in the first round. Do they actually know anything about why that move was made? He is one of the premier TE's in the draft, he is great down the field, sure his blocking can be improved but we have the coaches to do that. We have Chris Baker as our TE at the minute, he is locked in a contract dispute and he has said himself he can't see him playing in New York come the start of the season. Our backup is Bubba Franks, the injury proned pro bowl TE. Just signed him as a back up and if he can stay healthy he might make a difference. Looking at that who wouldn't want a TE with good size and good hands??

Our overall first round pick of Vernon Gholston was a great signing, we had no pass rush last year, he should be able to help us out next season in that department.

One of the main problems (there were plenty) last year was our offensive line, and im happy to see that we have not just sat on our hands with this. We have gone out and brought in a new offensive co-ordinater in Bill Callaghan, we brought in 7 time pro bowl Guard in Faneca. We have also brought in 1 time pro bowl RT in Damien Woody, so this should not only help our running game but give the QB a little protection, something he really didn't get last season.

So how do you think the Jets will do this year?, after a 4-12 season last year, im going for a 8-8 season this year.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 9:59 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

I just noticed this post Cubby 10. The Jets are actually my second favorite team, way behind the Cowboys. My father is a huge Jet fan and he loved all of the offseason moves. As far as their upcoming season, unfortuantely they have to deal with the Patriots. The Bills are on the rise, whereas the Dolphins are a few years away. The AFC is so strong with NE, INDY, JAX, SD for sures. Pitts burgh will also be strong and I think their division is weaker this season, with the exception of Cleveland. You never know though, all it takes is one guy to go down and these teams ships could be sunk. How the Titans made the playoffs last year, I will never know. 9-7 could get them in the playoffs. Offensive and defensive lines are the keys to having good teams. Mangini seems to know this well.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 11:27 am
All-Star

My Mood:
That was our main downfall that season Skip, we let Kendall go with no replacement and we went into the season with no NT, and you need a good NT to run the 3-4 defense. With the aquisition of Faneca and Jenkins we addressed both issues. We also signed Kerry Rhodes to a 5 year extension which is massive, he was ranked 25th best player in the league, or something similar to that. We are a few components short of a strong team, we need 1 more CB and a QB, we get those and we have a play-off team. I'm hoping that clemens steps into the QB role and makes it his. Your Father has great taste
Old Jul 6th 2008, 11:40 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubbies10 View Post
That was our main downfall that season Skip, we let Kendall go with no replacement and we went into the season with no NT, and you need a good NT to run the 3-4 defense. With the aquisition of Faneca and Jenkins we addressed both issues. We also signed Kerry Rhodes to a 5 year extension which is massive, he was ranked 25th best player in the league, or something similar to that. We are a few components short of a strong team, we need 1 more CB and a QB, we get those and we have a play-off team. I'm hoping that clemens steps into the QB role and makes it his. Your Father has great taste
Yeah, hes loved them since the Namath days. I thought us Cub fans had it hard. At least they have won a Superbowl. Rhodes was a steal for the Jets. I always thought he was an awesome college player at Louisville. I am pretty sure he was the one that intercepted Romo on Thanksgiving day also. I really thought the Jets were gonna win it all a few years back. They were on a roll. They killed the Packers the final week of the season and then beat the Colts 40-0. They then ran into the Raiders. Of course that was before Chad was hurt and he was a very good QB then.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 11:45 am
All-Star

My Mood:
Chad is still a good QB, There are a lot of Jets fans who call for his head, but look at the protection he got last year, he had no time back there, and when Clemens came in he threw twice as many INT as he did TD. Pennington can't sling the deep pass anymore, allows the secondary to move in closer on the receivers. If Pennington had Clemens arm we would still have one hell of a QB. Right now we are in between.

We have come close, Doug Brien's 2 missed FG's agaisnt the Steelers still haunt my dreams today. Will never forgive him for that, one i can understand, but not 2.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 11:51 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

yES , I forgot about that, That was the week after you guys beat SD in overtime. It seems like number 55 - Howard- did something stupid at the end of the game vs SD to allow them to send it to OT. I like Pennington a lot, but your right his arm strength just isnt there. Gholston is a lot like Demarcus Ware for the Cowboys. If he plays anything like him he will be a beast. Reavis looked like the real deal last year too. The Jets definately have some good pieces.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 12:02 pm
All-Star

My Mood:
Yer Revis has a ton of potential, and i expect him to have his monstor season, we just need someone to play the 2nd corner spot, hopefully Justin Miller can stay healthy and i will feel confident with our secondary. Gholston is going to be a beast, and i think Keller is going to be massive as well, the talk is we will use him as the slot receiver as well as in at the TE spot.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 9:09 pm
All-Star

My Mood:
Just thought i would update this thread, 1-2 after 3 games, most people had us at this before the season, although i have to say i expected us to beat the Bradyless Pats. We haven't looked great if the truth be told, however i still think we will go 9-7 or 10-6 this season, our schedule really lightens over the next month or so

Arizona (Tough)
Bye
Bengals
Rainders
Chiefs

We really should be 4-3 minimum at the end of that schedule, and could possibly be 5-2, Cardinals are a tough team, but i think we can take the Bengals and we should ebat the Raiders and Chiefs.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 9:14 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

I kind of wish the ARIZONA game was after the bye week. I still think you guys have a good shot vs them, but I expect this team to take off after the bye week. Losing Cullen Jenkins last night hurt pretty bad and Gholston has been a nonfactor so far.. Gholston along with Favre will only benefit from the bye. I look for Leon Washington to start playing a more important role on offense along with Keller. Both bring speed and thats what this team seems to be lacking on offense right now.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 9:22 pm
All-Star

My Mood:
Couldn't agree with you more Skip, Washington needs to be involved more, i mean we saw what he can do last night on kick off returns, he is a momentum turner. Our depth is poor so when Jenkins went down our defense went to the pitts, he is expected to be back next week so that's why I'm confident we can get back on track. I agree about getting going after the bye week, Favre is getting used to the offense more and a week off to really study film and the play-book will help him. Gholston is really finding it hard to get off blocks at the mnute, but i expected that, going from the 3 point stance linemand to the standing OLB is going to be hard. It will take him soom time but he has steadily started to improve, had a QB rush last night a tackle and a recovered onside kick so he is starting to get there. Keller also is starting to be used more, last night was the first time i have really seen him used like he should be and he ends up with over 60 yards and a TD. We have a lot of potential, it's just going to take time. Going into the bye week at 2-2 i will be delighted, 1-3 i will be slightly worried, but all wont be lost if that happens.