fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > Cubs Baseball > Game Threads
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Apr 6th 2009, 12:18 am

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ryno4ever
Talking 4/6 CHC@HOU; 6:05 TV:CSN, ESPN2 RADIO: WGN

PLAY BALL!

Game 1!

Fasten those seatbelts guys and gals.... we're in for one wild ride!

Lineups and notes to be posted as soon as they are up! Feel free to join in. I may miss the first few innings of the game as I have a dinner I have to attend to (no worries, I have already assured the game will be on.... but the minute it starts switching between the Cubs game and the MSU game I'm outta there! The family is MSU alumni....)
Old Apr 6th 2009, 3:56 pm

My Mood:

Send a message via ICQ to VanMan Send a message via AIM to VanMan Send a message via MSN to VanMan Send a message via Yahoo to VanMan Send a message via Skype™ to VanMan
Well, I might flip back and forth between the Cubs and the championship game, but only between innings after 8. At least the game's supposed to be over by 9 or so, so I can get to see "One Shining Moment."
Old Apr 6th 2009, 4:02 pm

My Mood:

Send a message via ICQ to VanMan Send a message via AIM to VanMan Send a message via MSN to VanMan Send a message via Yahoo to VanMan Send a message via Skype™ to VanMan
With Dan Plesac with MLBN now, Todd Hollandsworth is the Pre- and Post-Game Live studio analyst, tonight with Gayle. Luke Stuckmeyer is reporting from the Juice Box.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 4:11 pm

My Mood:

Line-ups are posted:

Cubs
1. Alfonso Soriano, LF
2. Kosuke Fukudome, CF
3. Derek Lee, 1B
4. Milton Bradley, RF
5. Aramis Ramirez, 3B
6. Mike Fontenot, 2B
7. Geovany Soto, C
8. Ryan Theriot, SS
9. Carlos Zambrano, P

Astros
1. Kazuo Matsui, 2B
2. Ivan Rodriguez, C
3. Lance Berkman, 1B
4. Carlos Lee, LF
5. Miguel Tejada, SS
6. Geoff Blum, 3B
7. Hunter Pence, RF
8. Michael Bourn, CF
9. Roy Oswalt, P
Old Apr 6th 2009, 4:37 pm

My Mood:
April 6, 2009 … Minute Maid Park … Game No. 1 … Road Game No. 1
RHP Carlos Zambrano (0-0, 0.00) vs. RHP Roy Oswalt (0-0, 0.00)

ABOUT THE CUBS: Tonight, the Chicago Cubs open their 134th National League season when they face the Astros in Houston … the Cubs start the 2009 campaign with three games in Houston, followed by an off-day Thursday then a three-game weekend series in Milwaukee … the team heads home for its first homestand at Wrigley Field, April 13-23, for nine games against the Rockies (2 G, April 13 and 15), Cardinals (4 G, April 16-19) and Reds (3 G, April 21-23).

CUBS RECORD
2009 Overall: ...........................................0-0
At Wrigley Field: ...................................0-0
On the Road: .......................................0-0
All-Time Since 1876: ..................10,082-9,523
At Wrigley Field (since 1916): .....3,882-3,399

CUBS VS. HOUSTON
The Cubs and Astros play 17 times this season, with the first five contests at Minute Maid Park … Houston’s first visit to Wrigley Field comes during a three-game set, May 15-17 … the final six games of this season series will be played at the Friendly Confines … following this three-game series, the Cubs return to Houston for a brief two-game stop, May 6-7.

2009 Overall: ............................................0-0
At Wrigley Field: ....................................0-0
At Minute Maid Park: ..............................0-0
2008 Overall: ............................................8-9
At Wrigley Field: ....................................4-5
At Minute Maid Park:...............................2-4
At Miller Park in Milwaukee: ...................*2-0
All-Time Since 1962: .........................295-345
At Wrigley Field: .............................164-153
At Minute Maid Park (since 2000): ........37-37
*Games on 9/14 and 9/15 played at Miller Park in Milwaukee due to Hurricane Ike.

UPCOMING MILESTONES
Milestone...............Player (Number Needed)
250 Home Runs.....................Aramis Ramirez (1)
175 Home Runs w/Cubs*.......Aramis Ramirez (2)
250 Stolen Bases...................Alfonso Soriano (2)
100 Victories.......................Carlos Zambrano (4)
300 Extra-Base Hits...............Milton Bradley (13)
*To surpass Andre Dawson for 10th on all-time list

SPRING FLING
The Cubs finished the 2009 Cactus League season with a 18-18-2 record … Chicago was 11-8 at home (11-7 at HoHoKam Park) and 7-10-2 on the road … the Cubs’ .306 batting average led N.L. clubs and was fourth in baseball … the team’s .370 on-base percentage was tied for second in baseball (with Kansas City) as the Angles led with a .390 mark.

MOST HOMERS AS A THIRD BASEMAN SINCE 2001
Rank Player HR
1. Aramis Ramirez 235
2. Troy Glaus 207
3. Alex Rodriguez 203
4. Adrian Beltre 198
5. Eric Chavez 184

RECENT OPENING DAY RESULTS
Year............Opponent..........Result
2008..............vs. MIL................L, 3-4 (10)
2007..............at CIN.................L, 1-5
2006..............at CIN.................W, 16-7
2005..............at ARI.................W, 16-6
2004..............at CIN.................W, 7-4
2003..............at NYM................W, 15-2
2002..............at CIN.................L, 4-5
2001..............vs.MON..............L,4-5(10)

In 2008, the Cubs won their second-straight N.L. Central Division title with a 97-64 record, 7.5-games ahead of Milwaukee … the 97 victories were a 12-game improvement over the team’s 85-77 mark in 2007, and 31-games better than the club’s 66-96 mark in 2006.

The Cubs began 2008 with five consecutive winning months: 17-10 in March/April, 18-11 in May, 15-12 in June, 15-11 in July and 20-8 in August … Chicago was 12-12 in September … the Cubs had 15 or more victories in each of the first five months for the first time since 1969.

CUBS OPENING DAY HURLERS: With tonight’s start, Carlos Zambrano will tie the franchise record and become just the third Cub since 1900 to start five straight season openers on the mound.

MOST CONSECUTIVE OPENING DAY STARTS BY CUBS PITCHERS SINCE 1900
Pitcher...........................Cons. GS
Rick Sutcliffe ..................5 (1985-89)
Fergie Jenkins.................5 (1969-73)
Carlos Zambrano......5 (2005-09)
Rick Reuschel.................4 (1978-81)
Larry Jackson..................4 (1963-66)
Lon Warneke..................4 (1933-36)
Orval Overall..................4 (1907-10)

Prior to Zambrano, Rick Sutcliffe was the last to start five-straight Opening Days on the mound for Chicago when he turned the trick from 1985-1989 … Fergie Jenkins also started five straight Opening Days from 1969-1973.

Zambrano is looking for his first career Opening Day victory … he has posted a 5.57 ERA (13 ER/21.0 IP) with an 0-1 record in four Opening Day starts while the club has gone 2-2 in those contests.

STAYING POWER: Derrek Lee and Aramis Ramirez will be making their sixth-straight Cubs Opening Day starts, with Carlos Zambrano hurling the first game of the year for the fifth-straight season.

Prior to Ramirez making the Opening Day start at third in 2004, the Cubs had used six different Opening Day third basemen from 1998-2003.

Ramirez is the first Cubs third baseman to make six-straight Opening Day starts since the legendary Ron Santo started 13 straight from 1961-1973.
Ramirez and Lee are the first Cubs first and third basemen to start Opening Days together for six-straight seasons since Ernie Banks and Ron Santo accomplished the feat nine consecutive seasons (1962-70).

OPENING DAY FACTS: The Cubs have a 73-58-2 all-time, Opening Day record … Chicago is 44-37 when opening the season on the road and 29-21-2 when opening at home (includes the 2000 opener in Japan).

The earliest the Cubs have opened a season was March 29, 2000, when they beat the New York Mets 5-3 in Tokyo, Japan.

The latest date the club has opened a season was May 8, 1877, in a 6-5 win over Hartford.

The last Cubs pitcher to toss a complete game on Opening Day was Bill Bonham, who beat Philadelphia 2-0 on April 9, 1974.

CUBS VS. ASTROS IN SEASON OPENERS: Tonight marks the third Opening Day game the Cubs have played against the Astros, with the first two games also taking place in Houston … Chicago fell, 11-2, April 10, 1962 at Colt Stadium in the Astros’ first game in franchise history … the most recent Opening Day contest between these two clubs took place exactly 10 years ago when Houston defeated Chicago, 4-2, April 6, 1999, at the Astrodome.

The Cubs have opened more seasons at Wrigley Field (43, most recently in 2008) than any other ballpark … Cincinnati’s Crosley Field ranks second (18).

SEASON NUMBER THREE: Lou Piniella, the 2008 N.L. Manager of the Year, begins his 22nd season as a major league skipper and his third with Chicago … he has compiled a 1,701-1,561 (.521) record thus far … Piniella has managed the New York Yankees (1986-88), Cincinnati (1990-92), Seattle (1993-2002), Tampa Bay (2003-05) and the Cubs (2007-2008).

Is a three-time BBWAA Manager of the Year selection, earning the honor in 2008 after previously capturing the award in 1995 and 2001 with Seattle … is one of only five managers to win the award at least three times, joining Tony LaRussa (4), Bobby Cox (4), Dusty Baker (3) and Jim Leyland (3).

All-Time Managerial Wins
Rank Manager Wins
12. Gene Mauch 1,902
13. Bill McKechnie 1,896
14. Lou Piniella 1,701
15. Ralph Houk 1,619
16. Fred Clarke 1,602

He is the 50th manager in Cubs history, having signed a three-year deal with the club on October 17, 2006.

His 1,701 victories rank fourth among active managers, trailing Tony LaRussa (2,461), Bobby Cox (2,327) and Joe Torre (2,151).

Piniella has been to the postseason 12 times during his big league career, seven times as a manager and five as a player, including five World Series appearances – the last as the manager of the Reds in 1990.
He owns an 11-9 Opening Day managerial record … his last Opening Day victory came in 2004 when Tampa Bay defeated the Yankees, 8-3, March 30 at the Tokyo Dome in Japan.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 4:41 pm

My Mood:

The Minute Maid Park announcer announcing the rosters, as per tradition of opening day games.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 4:47 pm

My Mood:

I have three questions for this team going into the season:

1) Will we see the first-half Fukudome or the second-half Fukudome from last season this season?

2) How will Milton Bradley and Aaron Miles adjust to their new team?

3) Is this THE year?
Old Apr 6th 2009, 4:47 pm

My Mood:
ROOKIE ROUNDUP:
The Cubs enter the 2009 regular season with two rookies on the active roster – inflielder/outfielder Micah Hoffpauir and pitcher David Patton.
The last Cubs rookie to homer in an Opening Day game was Kosuke Fukudome, who accomplished the feat just last season – he hit a game-tying, three-run homer in the ninth inning March 31, 2008 vs. Milwaukee … the Brewers went on to win, 4-3, in 10 innings.

LOU’S CREW: The 2009 Cubs consist of seven new members on the 25-man roster since the conclusion of the 2008 campaign.

Four pitchers were obtained via trades: Kevin Gregg from Florida for pitcher Jose Ceda, Aaron Heilman from Seattle for infielder Ronny Cedeno and pitcher Garrett Olson, Luis Vizcaino from Colorado for pitcher Jason Marquis, and Rule 5 pick David Patton from Cincinnati for cash considerations.

Piniella’s coaching staff returns for the third straight season – Ivan DeJesus (Special Assistant), Gerald Perry (Hitting Coach), Mike Quade (Third Base Coach), Larry Rothschild (Pitching Coach), Matt Sinatro (First Base Coach), Lester Strode (Bullpen Coach) and Alan Trammell (Bench Coach).

CONSISTENCY ON OPENING DAY: Chicago’s 2009 Opening Day lineup has seven players who were in the Cubs 2008 Opening Day lineup: Kosuke Fukudome, Derrek Lee, Aramis Ramirez, Alfonso Soriano, Geovany Soto, Ryan Theriot and Carlos Zambrano.

Tonight, Mike Fontenot and Milton Bradley will make their first Opening Day starts for Chicago.

Derrek Lee owns a .353 (12-for-34) batting average, four doubles, two home runs, and 11 RBI in 10 Opening Day games.

MORE OPENING DAY TIDBITS: The Cubs are 4-4 in their last eight Opening Day contests since 2001, but have dropped their last two … the club is looking to avoid dropping three conseuctive Opening Day contests for the first time since 1997-1999 … a complete list of Chicago’s all-time Opening Day lineups and results may be found on pages 335-340 in the 2009 Cubs Media Guide.

The Cubs’ last Opening Day victory on the road came in 2006 during a 16-7 drubbing of the Reds on April 3 at the Great American Ball Park.

Chicago set a team record for Opening Day runs scored with 16, done twice: 2005 (16-6 win in Arizona) and 2006 (16-7 victory in Cincinnati).

The team mark for most runs allowed on Opening Day is 15, set in 1884 (15-3 loss to New York) … since 1900, the most runs scored by an opponent is 12, set by the Mets in a 12-8 loss at Wrigley Field in 1994.

The Cubs have been involved in 18 Opening Day shutouts, winning 6 and losing 12 … the last time the club shut out an opponent was in 1974 (2-0 win over Philadelphia) … the last time the club was blanked on Opening Day was 1993 (1-0 loss to Atlanta).

The Cubs’ longest Opening Day contests took place in 1886 (6-5 victory at Kansas City) and in 1988 (10-9 win at Atlanta) … each went 13 innings.

Other Cubs individual Opening Day records include: MOST HITS: 5 — Billy Herman, 1936 vs. St. Louis … MOST RBI (since 1920): 7 — Corey Patterson, 2003 at New York (NL) … MOST HOMERS: 3 — Tuffy Rhodes, 1994 vs. New York (NL).

ZONING OUT: Including tonight’s season opener, the Cubs will have played games in three different time zones in a five-day span … this stretch began last Thursday in Arizona when Chicago closed out it’s Cactus League schedule against the Indians – following the game, the team flew to the east coast for two games against the Yankees, Friday and Saturday.
Following the Yankees games, the Cubs flew to Houston Saturday evening and tonight play their first of 18 consecutive games in the Central time zone.

Chicago next leaves the Central time zone when they travel to Arizona to take on the Diamondbacks, April 27-29 … all told, 38 of Chicago’s first 41 contests through May 21 are in the Central time zone

CUBS ON THE TUBE AND RADIO: All 162 Cubs game are slated to be televised this season, beginning with today’s contest that will be shown on Comcast SportsNet Chicago … every Cubs game may be heard on the radio at 720 WGN-AM.

Len Kasper and Bob Brenly team up in the Cubs’ TV booth for the fifth-straight season … the two were recognized following the 2006 season with a local Emmy Award for Outstanding Achievement for Individual Excellence on Camera: Programming, Play-by-Play.

Pat Hughes – who was named Illinois Sportscaster of the year in both 2006 and 2007 – will handle play-by-play on WGN Radio for the 14th straight season while former Cub Ron Santo returns as a radio analyst for his 20th season.

2009 Spring Training Team Leaders
Batting Average:..............................412, Ryan Theriot
Hits:............................................. .28, Ryan Theriot
Doubles:........................................6, Micah Hoffpauir
Home Runs: ..................................6, Alfonso Soriano and Micah Hoffpauir
RBI:.............................................. .26, Micah Hoffpauir
ERA:.............................................. 0.00, Kevin Gregg
Wins:............................................. 3, Sean Marshall and Carlos Zambrano
Innings Pitched:.............................27.1, Ryan Dempster
Strikeouts:.....................................26 , Ryan Dempster
Opp. Batting Average:.....................135, Kevin Gregg
Old Apr 6th 2009, 4:50 pm

My Mood:

Pre-game ceremonies on opening day always drag on.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 4:50 pm

My Mood:
About Zambrano
Carlos, who turns 28 on June 1, will take the mound for the Cubs’ first regular season game of the year … the start will mark his fifth consecutive on Opening Day (April 4, 2005 at Arizona, April 3, 2006 at Cincinnati, April 2, 2007 at Cincinnati and March 31, 2008 vs. Milwaukee) … has posted an 0-1 record with a 5.57 ERA (13 ER/21.0 IP) with 20 strikeouts, while the Cubs have gone 2-2 in these contests.

Owns a 96-61 career record with a 3.48 ERA in 231 games since making his major league debut with the Cubs in 2001.

His 1,172 career strikeouts rank seventh in franchise history … Bill Hutchinson is sixth with 1,222.

Has won at least 13 games in each of the last six seasons, including a career-high 18 victories in 2007.

His .613 winning percentage (95-60) as a starter is the highest in franchise history (min. 140 decisions) … Hall of Famer Fergie Jenkins is second with a .564 mark (164-127).

His 16 career home runs rank first in franchise history ahead of Fergie Jenkins (13) … Zambrano’s six dingers in 2006 tied Jenkins (in 1971) for the single-season record by a Cubs pitcher.

His 91 wins since the start of the 2003 season rank fourth in baseball … Johan Santana is first with 98.

Is a three-time National League All-Star, earning the honor in 2004, 2006 and 2008 … in 2004, became the youngest Cub in franchise history at 23 to pitch in an All-Star game (1.0 IP) … tossed 2.0 scoreless innings of relief in the 2008 All-Star Game, yielding one hit, fanning one, and picking Milton Bradley off first base.

Won his first Louisville Slugger Silver Slugger award in 2006, belting six homers with 11 RBI … won the award for the second time in 2008.

Carlos finished the campaign 14-6 with a 3.91 ERA (82 ER/188.2 IP) in 30 starts.

Struck out 130, giving him 1,172 punchouts – good for seventh in franchise history … Bill Hutchinson is sixth with 1,222.

Tossed the Cubs first no-hitter in 36 years September 14 against the Astros … walked one batter and hit another with a pitch, while fanning a season-high 10 in Chicago’s 5-0 blanking of the Astros at Miller Park.

The no-no was the 13th in franchise history, and first since Milt Pappas’ September 2, 1972 against San Diego … he became the first hurler in big league history to throw a no-hitter at a neutral site.

Tossed 2.0 shutout innings in the Mid-Summer Classic, appearing in relief of starter Ben Sheets.

Went 7-2 with a 3.77 ERA (41 ER/98.0 IP) in 16 starts at Wrigley Field … his .778 home winning percentage ranked tied for 12th in the majors.

Batted .337 (28-for-83) with four doubles, a triple, four homers and 14 RBI en route to the Louisville Slugger Silver Slugger award … the .337 average is the highest for a Cubs pitcher in a single season since 1900 (min. 75 AB).

Tagged with the loss in Game Two of the NLDS vs. the Dodgers … allowed seven runs in 6.1 innings of work, however, just three were earned.

Notable 2008 Starts
Started his fourth straight Opening Day for Chicago and did not figure in the 4-3, 10-inning loss vs. Milwaukee … tossed 6.2 shutout innings, allowing just three hits and one walk while striking out five, before leaving the game with a right forearm cramp.

Threw 8.0 shutout innings in the Cubs 3-0 blanking of the Reds May 6, picking up his fourth consecutive win … surrendered three hits, walked three, and fanned three in his then-longest outing of the season.

Improved to 5-1 and lowered his ERA to 1.80, becoming the first Cubs pitcher to win at least five of his first eight starts of a season while posting an ERA as low as 1.80 since Steve Stone, who was 5-0 with a 1.78 ERA in his first eight starts in 1975.

Extended his winning streak to six games with Chicago’s 12-3 rout of Pittsburgh May 23 … surrendered two runs on six hits, while walking one and fanning six over 7.0 innings of work.

Went 4-for-5 at the plate, becoming the first Cubs pitcher to collect four hits in a game since Lew Burdette July 23, 1964 at San Francisco.

Did not factor into the Cubs 14-9 win over the Pirates August 26, lasting just 4.1 innings … he yielded six runs on eight hits, while walking four and striking out three … went 1-for-2 with an RBI at the plate.

Zambrano recorded a hit in 13-straight starts June 2-August 26, marking the longest streak by a pitcher since Wilbur Cooper had a 15-gamer in 1924.
Also had an RBI in eight-straight starts July 19-August 26, becoming the first pitcher in major league history to turn the trick.

Tossed the Cubs first no-hitter in 36 years September 14 against the Astros … walked one batter and hit another with a pitch, while fanning a season-high 10 in Chicago’s 5-0 blanking of the Astros at Miller Park.

The no-no was the 13th in franchise history, and first since Milt Pappas’ September 2, 1972 against San Diego … he became the first hurler in big league history to throw a no-hitter at a neutral site.
Sponsored Links