fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > Cubs Baseball > The Bleachers
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Oct 1st 2013, 4:52 pm
Little Leaguer

And your next Chicago Cubs manager is?

Before waxing on potential Cubs' managerial-candidates, I'd like to express my displeasure with this front-offices' decision to fire Dale Sveum.

Let's be honest - Dale Sveum was never given a chance to succeed in Chicago. He was handed a team devoid of major-league talent, and proceeded to produce results devoid of major-league success -- what did the Cubs expect? Well, in-fact, the Cubs got what they expected: ineptitude. They used Sveum as a bridge - essentially a stop-gap to shoulder and bare the responsibility for the Cubs' abundance of losing. Then - as the Cubs were on the cusp of expressing progress - a new manager would take the helm. This allows Cubs' management to affirm a scape-goat for all the losing, while ushering in a fresh-face to personify hope. I believe the Cubs' plan was for Sveum to finish out his 3-year-contract. However when Joe Girardi became available - at least theoretically - the Cubs moved ahead a year early, with their plan.

In short, the Cubs sabotaged the credibility of a solid baseball-man, in the name of a ridiculous blueprint for success. They gave the chef whom they hired to cook for their parents 40th-wedding-anniversary, scraps from a Burger King dumpster as ingredients, and asked him to cook a five-course, gourmet-dinner; then publicly fired and embarrassed him for not being able to cook anything edible.

Now, in no-particular order -- and because all lists must be either five or ten in-duration -- five names you should be/will be hearing, in-relation to the Cubs' managerial opening.

1.) Joe Girardi

Who else were you expecting to be listed-first? Girardi has everything Cubs' management values in a manager: he's highly-educated; he has years of managerial success under-his-belt; and he commands respect as a leader. Besides, Girardi would be every team who has a managerial vacancy's first-choice.

Verdict: Not gonna happen! I know, I know. Joe Girardi is every Cubs fans wet-dream. He's simply too smart to come to here -- the Cubs are years away from contending, meanwhile the Yankees are built to contend every-year. It's really that simple. There may be a period of posturing between the Yankees and Girardi, but they both desire his inevitable return. If negotiations do hit a snag, I can see Girardi taking a year-off to become an in-studio analyst. The Yankees aren't dumb - he'll be back in pinstripes.

And now, the less-attractive candidates/concise explanations:

2.) Bud Black

Jed Hoyer-connection; pitching-guru

Verdict: Very-possible

3.) Brad Ausmus

Young, ivy league-educated; catcher's background

Verdict: Extremely-possible

4.) AJ Hinch

Former catcher; managerial experience

Verdict: Nope!

5.) Minor-League manager-x

The Cubs have the kind of front-office that love to be perceived as ahead-of-the-curve. Hiring an unknown, unproven-manager, would sufficiently feed that ego.

Verdict: Always possible

My guess: It's really early in the game, but for fun, I'll take a guess: Brad Ausmus.

Again, Theo and Jed (they sound like a terrible 60's folk-band) love the perception that they're trend-setting, intellectual baseball-men. Hiring an unproven, like Ausmus, would sufficiently enhance that unworthy-perception - I can already see Peter Gammons creaming his pants. Ausmus comes from a catcher's-background, and holds an Ivy League education. He's their dream-man.
Old Oct 5th 2013, 3:17 pm
Little Leaguer

My Mood:

agreed

Couldn't agree more that Dale was used..thats why Ryno never got the Cubs job. Now way would the Cubs have tarnished Ryno's reputation by firing. That's what would have happened.

Hopefully Girardi will come back to Chicago and have the patience to wait for the young guys to develop...well and snatching a few guys that can actually pitch may help.
Sponsored Links