fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > Cubs Baseball > The Bleachers
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Dec 17th 2013, 12:02 am
Little Leaguer

Positive Pete: Things to look forward to in 2014

Being a Cubs fan isn't easy right-now, and it's not going to be easy for the foreseeable future. But, regardless of how much we lose, let's face it: we're going to continue to be Cubs' fans. So, for the sake of positivity, let's look at five early things to look forward to, for the 2014 season.

1.) Junior Lake

I'm not sure if Lake's future is going to unfold as an everyday-player or as a 4th outfielder, but one thing's for certain: we're about to find out!

Lake is fast, has a quick bat, and is fun to watch.

2.) Anthony Rizzo

Rizzo didn't take the step-forward many of us had envisioned. However he played an excellent defensive first base, and has a full-season under his belt. I really think he matures into a strong core-player for the Cubs - and it starts revealing itself in 2014.

3.) Jake Arrieta

Jake may be forgotten in the land of lost Cubs pitchers - next to Shawn Boskie and Danny Jackson - when it's all-said-and-done. Or, he just-might finally harness some of that potential that kept Baltimore hopeful for so many years. In 2014 - amidst the backdrop of a pressure-free environment - we're going to find out.

4.) Wellington Castillo

Defensively Castillo proved to be amongst the best catchers in baseball, last season. His improvements were evident month-to-month. If he improves at the plate, watch out! Is Castillo the Cubs' starting catcher for the next 5 seasons? We're about to find out!

5.) Javier Baez and Kris Bryant

If Bryant and Baez tear-up AAA - where they'll begin their 2014 seasons - they'll be up by August. If that's the case, Cubs' fans will be treated to witnessing the on-field development of the organizations future. In Baez's lightning-fast bat and Bryant's raw power, both will provide plenty of hope on the north side.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 6:35 pm
All-Star

My Mood:

Well something has to get me excited, this roster sure isnt going to do it. I still say bring everyone up and lets get them some major league experience!!!!
Old Dec 19th 2013, 12:40 pm
Little Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiCubs1984 View Post
Well something has to get me excited, this roster sure isnt going to do it. I still say bring everyone up and lets get them some major league experience!!!!
I totally understand your frustrations. However the problem with bringing-up younger players soley to give them experience, is that they simply might not be ready. You don't want to expose a young prospect too early, thus diminishing his long-term confidence.

In Welington Castillo (WAR approaching 5, last season), Anthony Rizzo (Polished defensively; still just 24-years-old), Starlin Castro (Will he bounce back?), Junior Lake (Is he a starter?), and the expected arrival of Hendricks, Baez, Bryant, etc, by mid-season, there is plenty to look forward to, next season. There just won't be very many wins.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 5:52 pm
All-Star

My Mood:

Yeah but I look at it this way. Ricketts, Theo, Jed I think need to make a statement to the fans. I can deal with losing seasons we all seen our share but what I can't deal with is not knowing if this rebuild is going to plan? Is it working really?? With really no pitching prospects, the lineup may be set for years to come but plugging holes with FA's and putting out there guys even I gotta look at the 40 man roster and ask "who the **** is that guy??"
Old Dec 20th 2013, 8:34 am
Little Leaguer

Quote:
Yeah but I look at it this way. Ricketts, Theo, Jed I think need to make a statement to the fans. I can deal with losing seasons we all seen our share but what I can't deal with is not knowing if this rebuild is going to plan? Is it working really?? With really no pitching prospects, the lineup may be set for years to come but plugging holes with FA's and putting out there guys even I gotta look at the 40 man roster and ask "who the **** is that guy??"
Your concerns are entirely justified. The Cubs lack young starting pitchers, who are close to being major league ready. That's why I believe they'll be aggressive in attempting to sign Masahiro Tanaka.
Old Dec 21st 2013, 4:14 pm
All-Star

My Mood:

Yeah and we seen what happens to Japanese players when they come over. Examples Koske Fukudome, Daisuke Matsuzaka. I don't see the Cubs even making an offer to him if he were to come avaiable. The Cubs has made a very good decision to start scouting, building up players, and building facilities in the Dominican and Latin American areas. The Cubs were close to being competitive I would say sure give it a shot, but with everything in limbo I would say no not right now. Its no use getting a pretty expensive pitcher with really no MLB experience when the rest of the rotation is questionable at the least.
Old Dec 22nd 2013, 1:31 am
Little Leaguer

Quote:
Yeah and we seen what happens to Japanese players when they come over. Examples Koske Fukudome, Daisuke Matsuzaka. I don't see the Cubs even making an offer to him if he were to come avaiable. The Cubs has made a very good decision to start scouting, building up players, and building facilities in the Dominican and Latin American areas. The Cubs were close to being competitive I would say sure give it a shot, but with everything in limbo I would say no not right now. Its no use getting a pretty expensive pitcher with really no MLB experience when the rest of the rotation is questionable at the least.
We must be careful not to judge an entire region based on a few examples. Besides, Darvish has been great for the Rangers.

I think the Cubs, noting Tanaka's age (24), have prioritized Tanaka - hence they haven't spent any money this offseason. I believe they'll go extremely hard after him, ensuring themselves a strong rotational-presence, for years to come.

I'm not guaranteeing that the Cubs will in-fact sign Tanaka. I simply believe that they will make a legitimate-push to acquire him.
Old Dec 22nd 2013, 5:15 pm
Little Leaguer

My Mood:

I agree with chicubs1984. It is not the risk to pay big money an a pitcher that has never pitched in MLB. Investing that kind of money would be foolish and against their plan the past couple years. There is too much downside if tanaka doesn't pan out and could turn out to be a bad contract. We all know the cubs had had their share of those. Let's stay the course and hope they spend the money more wisely.
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 6:22 pm
All-Star

My Mood:

I just think If Masahiro Tanaka does come to the US I don't think I would want the Cubs to make even the initial offer just to talk to him. I think the 20 million (or even more when other teams start bidding) the Cubs could spend that money elsewhere like more arms for the rotation. He's also probably going to demand at least $100mil contract. I just don't like it. I don't think its a good idea for the Cubs. Not now anyway.
Old Dec 28th 2013, 11:58 pm
Little Leaguer

Quote:
I just think If Masahiro Tanaka does come to the US I don't think I would want the Cubs to make even the initial offer just to talk to him.
The $20M is a pledge, which allows a team the right to negotiate with Tanaka. You're only obligated to pay the $20M if Tanaka agrees to a contract with you.

Every team in baseball will pledge the initial offer.
Sponsored Links