fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > Cubs Baseball > The Bleachers
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Sep 1st 2009, 11:23 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

It is all but over , now what ?

I am curious to hear what some of us would do with this team after the season is over . There are a number of questions and having a new owner will add to the mix. I am really puzzled over the situation . I have my ideas but I don't know what a new owner can or will be willing to change.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 2:12 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

who knows??

I thought Crane Kenney was a goner from the things I read.

CRAP, THERE I GO AGAIN WITH THE GOSSIP GOSH DARNIT
Old Sep 1st 2009, 3:14 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bockstock View Post
who knows??

I thought Crane Kenney was a goner from the things I read.

CRAP, THERE I GO AGAIN WITH THE GOSSIP GOSH DARNIT
Kenny is gone , in a corporate since . Probably moved to another position I expect to see much of that , to avoid paying contracts for no work. You just move them into a lesser position and over-pay for that job until they are done.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 12:47 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeEila's/rant View Post
Kenny is gone , in a corporate since . Probably moved to another position I expect to see much of that , to avoid paying contracts for no work. You just move them into a lesser position and over-pay for that job until they are done.
Yea, it seems hes kept some semblance of his former job; if you're talking about finding new revenue sources, he's been pretty good.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 2:36 am
All-Star

My Mood:

From what I've heard, Kenney will take on more of a sales and marketing role. He will head any ballpark improvements that take place. I think Ricketts will name his own vice president of baseball operations to oversee development and player personell.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 10:09 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Many Questions

Did Soto have a sophomore slump or did he have his career year his rookie year ?

Fontenot is only good at small doses and can't play the whole year. Isn't that the same thing everyone said about Theriot ? Do you try him again for the whole year ?

Is Soriano really hurt or is this just the sign of a declining player ? What do you do beside tell him to put away that damn Bam-Bam club and get a bat he can swing with some speed.

Hill has been good in replace of Soto but is he a starting catcher ?

Bradley is he really too much distraction and would be worth dumping ?

Can marmol give us a whole year of shut down pitching ?

Will Big Z grow up and take the role of ace and not try harder at being a power hitter than a pitcher ?

Has RothSSSSSchild ever fixed a player ? Is he really that good and why does he fly under the radar ?

Will we keep Lou and hope he can take next season more urgent ?

Will there be any money spent by the new owner ?

I think all of these questions will have to be answered before we can make any FA choices .
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 2:50 pm

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ryno4ever
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeEila's/rant View Post
Did Soto have a sophomore slump or did he have his career year his rookie year ?

Fontenot is only good at small doses and can't play the whole year. Isn't that the same thing everyone said about Theriot ? Do you try him again for the whole year ?

Is Soriano really hurt or is this just the sign of a declining player ? What do you do beside tell him to put away that damn Bam-Bam club and get a bat he can swing with some speed.

Hill has been good in replace of Soto but is he a starting catcher ?

Bradley is he really too much distraction and would be worth dumping ?

Can marmol give us a whole year of shut down pitching ?

Will Big Z grow up and take the role of ace and not try harder at being a power hitter than a pitcher ?

Has RothSSSSSchild ever fixed a player ? Is he really that good and why does he fly under the radar ?

Will we keep Lou and hope he can take next season more urgent ?

Will there be any money spent by the new owner ?

I think all of these questions will have to be answered before we can make any FA choices .
Good points and questions, Lee.....

1. Soto...hard to tell because he came back this year overweight and out of shape... and the fact he spent a good portion of the season on the DL couldn't have helped his situation any.

2. Fontenot is NOT an everyday player... and perhaps if there is nothing better out there, keep Baker around (not sure what his contract status is without looking right now)

3. Lou and Gerald have been trying to get Soriano to use a lighter bat, he just refuses to do so. It may also be a combination of both an injury and his aging body not able to heal the way it used to... take that statement however you want

4. Hill has been very decent for us this year. Even if he did end up being a backup catcher next year, I like his arm...not to mention his story and you know he is out there to give it all he has... but in a story in the Sun Times today makes it sound as if Lou expects Geo to come back as the starting catcher next year.

5. If Bradley will go back to NOT talking to the media...I'm all for keeping him out there... unless there's a really good trade out there that would give us the left-handed power bat to replace him, without giving up the defensive abilities he gives us.

6. Mamol... he only has 3 save opps since getting the official title of closing, so it may be too early to tell. He has the stuff... when he can locate his pitches, he is one of the best there is out there and virtually unhittable. Perhaps he needed the challenge he's been given to keep his head in the game and the control in his pitches. I like what I have seen in those three games... it's pretty much a given that Gregg will be outta here... so if Marmol can keep it up-it would save the Cubs a lot of hassle and money in the offseason by trying to sign another RELIABLE closer.

7. I don't know if I would say Z is the "Ace"... until he starts to act and pitch like one. Was his "peak" his no no last year? Even then, it was a stellar performance that was surrounded by not-so-great performances by Z both before and after the no no. Z seems to have gotten an inflated head with his inflated paychecks.

8. Rothschild flies under the radar because he is covered in his towels! J/k. I am satisfied with Larry. He is one of the best in the biz and he does know the pitching staff very well because of his tenure here...both the major leaguers and the upcoming pitchers in the minors. Honestly, our pitching hasn't been a HUGE issue this year. They just couldn't get in sync.. when the starters were doing great, the pen struggled...when the starters struggled, the pen started to shine. Neither have been given much as far as offensive support, which is not their fault. There haven't been a lot of blowouts this year, and the ones we have had, Lou didn't end up spending the entire pen on those games, so it was ususally just a bad day for one or two pitchers.

9. Lou will be back. Next year is a big year as far as a lot of contracts expiring...including Lou's. I think Ricketts will come in, take a year to soak it all in, observe a lot, get to know the ropes...and then the following year, I can see a lot of changes taking place. However, I don't see Lou sticking around after his contract is up.

10. I hope that if Ricketts comes in and spends money...it will be spent wisely. I'm sure he will spend some money. He is going to want to make a splash as the first year owner... and with the way the contracts are as it is, next year may be the final year for a while the cubs will be in really good position to contend for the whole thing...

I think Hendry and Ricketts need to address the bullpen, most definately... and we need a reliable HITTER... I don't care if he is right handed, left handed, or can bat with his feet...just someone who can hit the ball, espcially in clutch situations.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 3:39 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Great reply Ryno , well thought out. I may disagree with a couple , mainly Rothschild. I do not see improvement in players that come under his control . What ones have improved has credited it to other players ( Maddox ) . If anything we see pitchers failing after time with him. How many pitchers that have left our club suddenly become good pitchers ? I would put Duncan as one of the best but I really can't say that about Rothschild.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 4:27 pm
Veteran

My Mood:

agree

with most things too-

Soto get in shape
Z shape up and get in shape
We need a second baseman
We need a leadoff man and and he can play 2nd short or RF since we are stuck with big contracts everywhere else
BULLPEN!
CLOSER!
Need a new coach and GM to come in access what we have and make decisions based on play not pay or because they are veteran guys.
Will we get a new manager (Ryno) no- Will we get a new GM (Beane, Epstein Jockety) no but that is what we need.

I will be honest I hated this team from day one and did not invest emotionally this year for the first time in 35 years. Sad but true and I still don't feel good about it.
See ya next year!
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 7:36 pm

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ryno4ever
ICcubfan.... I know the feeling... I had the October hangover for most of the year. Last October was SUCH a disappointment...not even as much sadness as just pure frustration and disappointment after the guys won 97 games and had such an amazing year... it was hard for me to even try to get too excited, and then the way the played this year, it didn't help.
Sponsored Links