fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > Cubs Baseball > The Bleachers
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Sep 22nd 2007, 12:13 am
MVP

My Mood:
5 - Five More Wins Should Do It .

I think the Cubbies need to win 5 more games - maybe just 4.

The Brewers "elimination number" is 8 as of tonight. Any combination ... (blah, blah, blah). They have 9 games to play and unfortunately I think they just might win as many as 6 of those giving 3 loses. Obviously 8 - 3 gives 5: the number of wins the Cubs may need to come up with to win this thing.

Close out the season at 5 and 3. Far from impossible but precarious and nerve-wracking. However a 4th loss for the Brewers leaves us with what sees to me a near certain (cross fingers, knock on wood) 4 wins to muster. A finishing record of 4 - 4. Much more do-able.

Every Brewers loss is so important !

. . . . . . . . . .

Just a few days ago (it seems) I asked the rhetorical question: "Would even 1 Cub finish with as much as 25 HR or 80 RBI" ? It seems like yesterday. Now here we have Alfonso knocking on the door of 30 HR, Aramis has an even 25 I believe and Aramis also has 98 RBI undoubtedly going to go over 100 for the season.

Talk about finishing strongly !. Keep it up boys.
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 12:44 am

My Mood:

Send a message via ICQ to VanMan Send a message via AIM to VanMan Send a message via MSN to VanMan Send a message via Yahoo to VanMan Send a message via Skype™ to VanMan
Someone had said that September has been a good month for our big bats. They say a baseball season is a marathon, not a sprint. Well, boys and girls, we should be seeing their finishing kick!
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 9:57 pm
MVP

My Mood:
" ... They say a baseball season is a marathon ... Well, boys and girls, we [just might be] seeing their finishing kick! ... "

Right you are Van the Man. Right you are. And an impressive kick it is in my opinion.

Alfonso blasted right through that 30 HR "door" like a cop on a drug bust and Aramis has gotten himself up to an even 100 RBIs; he might finish with numbers more typical for him after all (115 or so is what I consider "typical for him"). D. Lee got in on the Power Parade too. Good for him ! The Cubs are coming out with a powerfful final kick and it's making things look dim for Milwaukee. A pity.

It's amazing what a slight change in numbers can do to the perspective. With today's delightful events the Brewers elimination number has fallen to a mere 6 (the Cubs "Magic Number" of course). What a difference subtacting 2 can make. The Cubs now have 7 games to play. Even if they start to stumble (which I believe you and I rather doubt given the above discussion) and win a mere 3 of those 7 for a fiinal week of 3 -4 this still puts Milwaukee (with 8 games to play) needing to win at least 6 of those 8. 6 - 2: that's tough 75% winnings. Milwauke cannot afford that 3rd loss. That's if the Cubs only win 3 more. If someone from the future were to tell me that the Cubs will win 4 or more of their remaining 7 I would reply: "Well then, Milwaukee's done - it's over". I don't think Milwaukee can muster a final 7 - 1 record. Well they can, I don't think they will.

The Cubs just need to keep winning and I think we agree VanMan, they're hot at just the right time.
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 10:30 pm
MVP

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullKey View Post
I don't think Milwaukee can muster a final 7 - 1 record. Well they can, I don't think they will.

The Cubs just need to keep winning and I think we agree VanMan, they're hot at just the right time.
Good post. I don't think anyone thought this team could get this hot, against Pirates lefties, as sad as it seems. This season seems like there was no one time when all 3 sluggers (Lee, A Ram and Soriano) were hitting the cover off the ball, well that time is now. All 3 are hitting really well and It is coming at (Obviously ) the best time possible, late September!

The Cubs look really dangerous right now!
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 10:47 pm

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ryno4ever
Tomorrow is a big test. Gorzelanny (sp?) has owned the Cubs. But, that was the Cubs of the past. The Cubs are gonna be pumped as it is the last REGULAR SEASON home game of the season and the crowd is going to be electric, especially after watching the Braves come back and take the game tonight.

Then to Florida.... that is perhaps my biggest concern. If these fish break my heart again, I will NEVER even LOOK at a fish stick again in my life!

The closer we get, the more excited I get...but it's horrible, because until there is mathematically no chance the Brewers clinch it, I can't help to wonder if it's all going to just break my heart even worse than they have in the past.....

But, I'm riding it now! This is totally awesome. Lou keeps saying "one game at a time" "One series at a time"... I guess, in a way, I feel like Lou is OUR manager (Our, meaning the fans) and when he gives his post game press conferences, he is trying to lead us...trying to help ride the emotional roller coaster WITH the team.... I think that is alot why it seems like there is such a connection with the fans and the players this year.

Okay, I'm done rambling. I'm tired, so please forgive me if this didn't make any sense whatsoever!
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 11:15 pm
MVP

My Mood:
" ..... If these fish break my heart again, I will NEVER even LOOK at a fish stick again in my life! ..... "

If "the Fish" do it to us again I will pee in every gold fish bowl or aquarium I ever come across. I swear. Don't let them "head-psyche" us !. That's a big part of any game.

" ..... I feel like Lou is OUR manager (Our, meaning the fans) and when he gives his post game press conferences, he is trying to lead us...trying to help ride the emotional roller .... "

Not to get carried away but he almost seems like our Moses: leading us to our Promised Land. And we just may get there yet.
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 11:19 pm

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullKey View Post
"

Not to get carried away but he almost seems like our Moses: leading us to our Promised Land. And we just may get there yet.
If Lou leads us to "Our Promise Land".... not only will there be a statue of Ernie Banks be erected outside of Wrigley next year...they will be reserving a spot for a Lucky Sweet Lou statue, too!
Old Sep 24th 2007, 11:36 pm
MVP

My Mood:
Boy, things are moving agonizingly slowly ! 3 days later and I still think the Cubs might have to win as many as 3 games; although 2 will probably do it. The problem: St Louis of course.

I am not the least bit surprised by the Turd Birds performance yesterday and won't be the least bit surprised if they completely roll over and play dead for Milwaukee. Anything to help a Cubs opponent. YES - I have lost that much respect for that organization. If they can't win the division I don't think they care where they finish. You would think they would fight to stay out of 4th place. I'm afraid keeping the Cubs out of 1st might actually mean more to them. If they do grow a spine, re-learn to walk on hind legs again and develop some long lost self-respect then they might take a game from the Brewers. That would help a lot. I'm not sure they will.

Milwaukee is going to have a much tougher time with San Diego. The Padres are in their own play-off fight, are somewhat hot and have a decent road record. Unfortunately the Brewers are very good at home.

If St Louis really continues to play dead Milwaukee just might take 3 of 4 from San Diego and the Cubs would have to go 3 - 3 against Florida and Cincinnatti. Far from impossible, but likely very, very tough. I'm sure Cincinnatti really, really want to keep Chicago celebrating a division championship in their town. And they usually play us tough anyhow, just like the Fish.

Let's go San Diego!
Old Sep 24th 2007, 11:37 pm

My Mood:
I totally agree with ya, Skullkey! What concerns me the most, is the momentum that the Brewers can get out of a win like Monday's...and an off day on our part, just when the momentum was really rolling.
Old Sep 24th 2007, 11:39 pm

My Mood:
However, the Cards have Looper (12-11) going against ex Card Jeff Suppan (10-12). Should be a good match up.
Sponsored Links