fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > Cubs Baseball > The Bleachers
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Mar 13th 2009, 11:54 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

How many wins ?

I was thinking earlier that the Cubs should put up more wins than last year , somewhere around 100 but , I am now doubting it.
From seeing and listening to interviews of Lou I am thinking he is even less interested in making the hard personnel decisions that he needs to make to bring the best out of this team. Spring training is not even half over and he has already set his rotation and the first two in the batting order. I will give him that he may be using these announcements to motivate certain players , how it would I have not a clue.
What most concerned me was him saying he was reading books on motivation and other aspects of baseball. Normally it would be a good idea for some managers to expand their horizons with new ideas but Lou has been in the business long enough to know what works to build a winning team and that entails hard work and being on top of every facet of your team. My fear is that he doesn't want to do the work involved and is looking for an easier way to get it done.
Bringing the Cubs the World Series would be the final accomplishment to his career . He would love to have it but he may be hoping for it instead of working towards it . Don't get me wrong he is a good manager probably one of the best in game guys in the bigs but I just don't think he still has the fire in the belly for it.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 12:04 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Personaly I think that he has been Cubbed. It took two years, but he has finally fallen victim to the fatal disease known as Cubbed

Its a term that some fans use to describe what happens to players, managers ect once they put on the Cubbie Blue uniform. This disease of sorts is a fairly recent disease that has only been around for maybe 10-15 years or so. When great players or managers show up here, and slowly disolve into being shadows of their former selves. Some write it off to them being past their primes, others right it off to them always sucking and just having career years. Though there are a few players who have been great, come here and suck for a few years, go elsewhere and pick up where they left off beforecomig here.

that being said, I will predict 92 wins at most. winning the division by 2 games or losing it by 5
Old Mar 13th 2009, 12:31 pm

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ryno4ever
I think it is going to come down more on the players than on Lou. They have to have the fire in their bellies to get it done. I felt that fire more, as a fan, going into last year than this year. The players have so much more to prove. They have proved that they can come back from unprobable odds, they can win close to 100 games, but they have yet to show us that they can overcome the fear of failure in the playoffs and get it done.

I have had issues with Lou for awhile. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy and I do believe that if he gets all his pieces lined up in the right way, he is the one who can get it done in the end. However, the game has changed so much since he has first begun in baseball, and sometimes it seems as if he refuses to change with it.

We are definately in a weaker division. That's good for our chances at more wins, but will it help the guys maintain a competitive attitude? We can play tons of games against teams like the Pirates and Reds, but what happens then when we have to face the teams in harder and more competitve divisions, will they have that edge?

I'm not going to get really concerned or worked up until I have seen the team that will be on the field Opening Day on a consistent basis. Right now, it has to be hard to get that feeling when you still have occasional guys in the lineup I've never heard of before. Not to mention facing guys that we've never seen or heard of before either.

These guys have a lot to prove, in my eyes, and it is going to take ALOT to gain my 100% confidence in them again.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 3:38 pm
All-Star

My Mood:

I always put a prediction in my head every year I been a Cubs fan and this year I predict 95 wins in the regular season sounds like a good number, but as I been saying for a couple of years now the only number that matters is 11. 11 Wins in October gets you a nice trophy, a pretty cool parade and party, and most of all a ring. That to me is what the Cubs need to concentrate on. I think we all can agree the Cubs can win the division for the 3rd year in a row but all that matters is getting back to the postseason and winning 11 games. If I have to settle for a NL Championship that in itself is an accomplishment for this organization. However first you gotta win some ballgames in the 1st round, and not look like fools with players with "playoff experience"