fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > Cubs Baseball > The Bleachers
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Apr 8th 2009, 2:26 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

from the trib... just like what i was saying

Soto's shoulder a nagging concern for Cubs
By Paul Sullivan

HOUSTON- If there is one indispensible player on the Cubs, it may be catcher Geovany Soto.

So when Soto took himself out of Tuesday's game with a sore right shoulder, alarm bells went off in the Minute Maid Park press box.

"He threw a ball to second base in a little awkward position and he felt a strain," manager Lou Piniella said.

Soto will take tonight's game off. Thursday is an off-day before the Cubs travel to Milwaukee for a three-game set, so he'll get at least two days of rest. He said he "overexposed" his shoulder on a throw to second during Kaz Matsui;s third inning steal, and felt some "weakness." Soto admitted the soreness also happened earlier this spring, though if that's the case, it was not revealed to the media.

"Bad time to happen, but I think I'll be alright in a couple days," Soto said, adding it could just be fatigue.

Soto said he could play tonight in case of a "super emergency." So who would be the super-duper emergency catcher in case Koyie Hill went down and Soto wasn't available?

"Me," Piniella said.

It's doubtful Piniella can get himself in playing shape by tonight, though there is room on the 40-man roster if he wants to make a comeback.

Obviously, Piniella will have to look elsewhere on his roster for an emergency back-up to Hill. Coincidentally, when I asked Milton Bradley in spring training if he thought he would be playing any centerfield this year, he replied: "I can player wherever they want me to. I can play catcher."

Catcher?

"LIttle League," he said. "My first position. All-Star. It doesn't matter."

Doubt the Cubs would risk injuring Bradley by putting him behind the plate, but it's an interesting scenario to ponder.

Either way, the Cubs need a healthy Soto this year, so no need to risk aggravating the shoulder this early in the season.

"Right now, where we're at, I feel like I'm not going to help the club or myself just to go out there if I'm not 100 percent," he said. "If they say nothing is wrong and play through it, I'll play through it. But for right now, I'll make sure I get my shoulder straight and try to help the club."

In other news, the Rockies are apparently interested in signing recently released reliever Chad Gaudin, according to a report by Hall of Fame scribe Tracy Ringolsby. Colorado was one of the teams interested in trading for Gaudin last week, but waited to see if he was released so they wouldn't have to pay his $2 million salary. If Gaudin signs with the Rockies, the Cubs will pay $1.6 million while Colorado pays the remaining $400,000
Old Apr 8th 2009, 3:07 pm
Rookie

My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to ARAM16_03 Send a message via Yahoo to ARAM16_03
I read that maybe Theriot or Fontenot is our emergancy catcher. If thats the case, then why didnt they do some catching in Spring Training?
Old Apr 8th 2009, 4:42 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

This team won 85 games with the amazing Barrett/Blanco/Bowen/Hill/Kendall combo with a worse team.

I really think people should stop freaking out; they haven't even said anything about Soto except him missing a couple of games.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 5:05 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

just going off the base info we have, and throwing out a worst case scenerio

and Hill by himself will not be much help
Old Apr 11th 2009, 11:37 am
Veteran

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBenjamin View Post
just going off the base info we have, and throwing out a worst case scenerio

and Hill by himself will not be much help
I'll take a two run HR & a excellent called game from our back-up C any day! LOL!
Old Apr 11th 2009, 1:39 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

chances of getting that on a usual basis arent too hight
Old Apr 11th 2009, 2:11 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Fortunately, the Cubs don't have to rely on Hill to be productive at the plate to win games.
Old Apr 11th 2009, 2:44 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

if the offense is like they were yesterday, yeah they do
Sponsored Links