fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > Cubs Baseball > The Bleachers
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Aug 15th 2008, 10:58 pm
Banned

Clubhouse

I gotta admit I was one of the many who wanted to see Ward let go. But I gotta give props to Skip. Skip said for the sake of the clubhouse the Cubs should keep Ward and not make many changes. And skip was exactly right! You can tell that his teammates love him. Did you see their reactions when he hit his homer? Marshall was high fiving Soto. Players got up and pumped fists. It was a great seen. And it's not just because he hit such a big homer to give us the lead. But this team seems like a great group of players who genuinely really likes each other. The clubhouse has played a strong role in this seasons good play. Ward seems to play a nice part in that. He's a good guy who is called a leader by his teammates. I think as far as the Cubs roster goes no changes should be made. I think even Howry deserves one more shot. This group has a special feeling to it!
Old Aug 15th 2008, 11:16 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

I have to admit I was really starting to think it might be time to cut the cord with him too. Someone mentioned the other day he was 4-40 PH this year, which of course is very bad. I have always thought though you cant put much stock in a PHs average. Ward is a guy that rarely ever gets a start, so he looks for his one AB a night. Recently, I had really noticed him having bad ABs. The other night vs the Braves he came up with a guy at third and less than 2 outs and he grounded out weakly to third on the first pitch. He usually works the count a gets a good pitch to hit. He had not been doing that. He usually has to face the opposing teams setup man or closer each day as well. In other words he has a real tough job. He is very limited in what he can do but he is a presence in the duggout that makes opposing managers save that top LH in their pen to face him some times. He brings power off the bench and I think all of the guys like him a lot.

Im for whatever helps the team though. He has had 2 good ABs in a row, after a ton of bad ones. If there is someone else out there that can help our team more then IM for it. I just remember the Tampa series when he was hurt. Hoff came off the bench in a crucial situation in which he ended up striking out with two guys on. I remember thinking Ward would have hit a SAC FLY at least. Now of course that was easy for me to say and who knows what would have happened. Hoff had a cup of coffee with us this year so the next time he gets his chance he will be a little better prepared, but its like Bims said the chemistry of this team is amazing and I think that alone can win games for you.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 11:24 pm

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ryno4ever
Hoff needs to stay in the minors to get his regular at bats until their season is over, then bring him up as a September call up, as much as I would love to see his offensive numbers up here now, he needs to be able to play on a daily basis, so until then, after tonight, I'm okay with keeping Ward on the bench, although one big hit isn't going to erase how frustrating he has been this year. As a matter of fact, when Pat said he was on the on deck circle, i was driving in my car and yelling at the radio NOT WARD! USE RAMMY! WARD WILL JUST GROUND INTO A DOUBLE PLAY OR FLY OUT! NOT WARD! Boy, Ward shut me up in a hurry!
Old Aug 15th 2008, 11:37 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Im not sure Aram was really available tonight. I know it was said that he was but he never took his pullover off to get loose or anything, so I knew it would be Ward or Fukudome. Of course, you didnt know that because as you said you were driving.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 11:40 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIPPER 11 View Post
Im not sure Aram was really available tonight. I know it was said that he was but he never took his pullover off to get loose or anything, so I knew it would be Ward or Fukudome. Of course, you didnt know that because as you said you were driving.
But it was good to see Aramis stand up rather quickly after Ward's homer. I have a feeling we will see him this series.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 11:41 pm

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ryno4ever
Lou said in the pregame show on the radio that he should be in the lineup on Saturday night and he was available to pinch hit if needed on Friday.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 1:23 am

My Mood:

Even though Ward is struggling this year and Hoffpauir is hitting the cover off the ball at Iowa, I can't really say I would rather have Micah up in Ward's spot. He's been in pressure situations many more times in his career than Hoffpauir. Micah may be a very good everyday player someday in the bigs, but to ask him to fill Ward's role ain't gonna happen. I mean seriously, imagine a game 7, two outs, tying run on second, and you need a pinch hitter...who would you rather have coming up, Ward or Hoffpauir? I'll take Daryl any day and twice on Tuesday.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 6:09 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bims View Post
I think even Howry deserves one more shot.
Lets make sure we give him that "one more shot" when we have a 10 run lead then.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 9:37 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Ram wouldn't have been used in that situation anyway. They needed a lefty bat against the Right Handed pitcher
Old Aug 16th 2008, 9:57 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBenjamin View Post
Ram wouldn't have been used in that situation anyway. They needed a lefty bat against the Right Handed pitcher

I totally understand your argument for a LH hitter in that spot, but I would take Ram over Ward in that spot everytime. It doesnt matter to him rather the pitcher is LH or RH.