fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > Cubs Baseball > Minor Matters
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Mar 10th 2007, 9:50 pm

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ryno4ever
Santo to appear at Peoria Cheifs 6/16/07

Quote:
Santo to Appear at O'Brien Field June 16th
01/30/2007 11:27 AM

PEORIA, IL- The Peoria Chiefs and The Rehabilitation Foundation of the Institute of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (IPMR) are pleased to announce that current Cubs radio announcer and former All-Star Ron Santo will headline the 5th annual Legend at the Ballpark Night June 16, 2007 at O’Brien Field.
The event will take place at the Pepsi Picnic Plaza at O’Brien Field, starting at 5:00 PM. Table sponsorships are currently being sold by the Development Office of the Rehabilitation Foundation. Tickets include a presentation by Ron Santo, access to autographs, dinner, beverages throughout the evening, the Peoria Chiefs -Clinton Lumberkings game at 7:00, a silent auction and raffle, and a post-game fireworks display. All proceeds from sponsorships, tickets, and autographs support the charitable mission of the Institute of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.

Before the game, Santo will throw out a ceremonial first pitch with a IPMR presentation. He will then sign autographs on the concourse for approximately an hour with all proceeds benefiting IPMR.

This will be the 5th Annual Peoria Chiefs /IPMR Legend at the Ballpark Night. Other attendees have included Whitey Herzog, Hall of Famer Lou Brock, Hall of Famer and current Chiefs Manager Ryne Sandberg, and Steve Stone who filled in for an ailing Santo in June 2006.

On the field, Santo appeared in 2243 games from 1960-1974, all but 117 with his beloved Chicago Cubs. Despite not joining the Cubs until late June, the Seattle, WA native finished fourth in the NL Rookie of the Year voting in 1960. He made his first of nine All-Star teams in 1963 and his last in 1973, his final year on the North Side. Santo won five straight Gold Gloves at third base from 1964-1968 and finished with a career .949 fielding percentage. The 66 year old finished in the top 10 in the NL Most Valuable Player balloting four times with his highest finish in 1967 in fourth place. He led the NL for the season in five different statistical categories including: On-Base Percentage (1964 & 1966), Games Played (1963 & 1965), Triples (1964), Walks (1964, 1966, 1967, 1968) and Total Bases (1964, 1966 & 1967).

Overall for his career, Santo finished with 2254 hits, 1138 runs scored, 342 homers, 365 doubles, 1331 RBI and a .277 batting average. He batted over .300 four times, drove in 100 or more runs four times and hit at least 30 homers in four different seasons. His Cubs tenure ended on December 11, 1973 when he was traded across town to the White Sox in exchange for future Cy Young Winner Steve Stone and catcher Steve Swisher. Only three players have ever hit more homers than Santo’s 337 in a Cubs uniform. His #10 was retired by the Cubs on September 28, 2003 and is one of four retired numbers flying from Wrigley Field flagpoles.

The 2007 season will mark Santo’s 18th as a color commentator with WGN Radio and his 12th as the partner of Pat Hughes. Santo is one of the most beloved players and announcers in Cubs history. In 2004, his son Jeff produced the documentary “This Old Cub” chronicling Santo’s lifelong battle as the only Major Leaguer ever to play with Type One Juvenile Diabetes. He is also a member of the board of directors of the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation and his annual Ron Santo Walk for the Cure has helped raised over $63 million for JDRF
Count me in! Another autograph opportunity of one of Chicago's finest!
Old Mar 12th 2007, 6:35 pm
MVP

My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to BigZ38
Maybe I should go to that game. Get to see one of the Cubs living legends in person!
Old Mar 14th 2007, 10:14 am

My Mood:
I went to the one they held two years ago there at Obrien Field when Ryno was there signing autographs. I was the very last one to get an autograph, and there was still a very long line behind me. When I finally made my way up to him, I froze...couldn't say a word. My childhood hero was right in front of me and I couldn't find my voice. This was a month before he was inducted into the HOF...and I just couldn't believe I was standing in front of THE RYNE SANDBERG!
Old Mar 14th 2007, 10:15 am

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZ38 View Post
Maybe I should go to that game. Get to see one of the Cubs living legends in person!
BigZ...are you from around the Peoria area, because looking at what you put for your location, I am about the same distance to Wrigley Field as you are!
Old Mar 14th 2007, 6:27 pm
Veteran

My Mood:

My aunt lives in Peoria...I hope she can get me tickets!
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 6:21 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

I live in peoria