fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > Cubs Baseball > The Bleachers
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old May 24th 2007, 6:48 pm
Little Leaguer

My Mood:

How come?

I love the Cubs but how many more games is it gonna take to start winning? We are a fourth of the way through the year and struggling to get to .500 - So much promise but game after game after game of frustration. The NL Central is up for grabs but we can't get over the hump. The roster seems a bit unbalanced, the line up switches daily. The rotation is up and down. Big Z can't get untracked. Our bullpen is either overworked or underwhelming. Okay, enough from me. Can we just win 12 in a row and get moving?
Old May 24th 2007, 7:28 pm

My Mood:

Thumbs up

Go Cubs win all the time
Old May 24th 2007, 7:38 pm
Veteran

In a word, "frustrating"
Old May 24th 2007, 9:21 pm
MVP

My Mood:
" .... Can we just win 12 in a row and get moving? ...."

Do you know the last time the Cubs won 12 straight ? About 75 years ago.

What you are seeing - the depressing reality - is the real Cubs. This team is not very much different from the vast majority fielded for about 7 decades. The management changes, the players change. The results vary very little .

I, and several others on this board, have seen friends live good, long lives and die waiting for a Cubs Championship. I recall a fellow I knew only as Tom who once told me I might live another 60 years (I was in my early 20s - this is back in the 70s) but before it was all said and done I would probably start believing in curses. He was right.

Believe it or not the last 10 years have produced more winning teams than any other era since World War 2 and before:

http://mlb.mlb.com/chc/history/year_by_year_results.jsp

Look at those winning percentages - pretty dismal huh ?

Take out the Leo Durocher era (the "sixty-niners") and things are really pathetic. The worst ever ? 1962. Naturally it was the first year I started watching them. I liked them because all my Cardinals friends made fun of them so much and I think I felt sorry for them. Second worst ever ? Probably 1981. Some really, really bad squads.

This team is really just the same old same old. Personally I have become quite tired of it. This team will never make sense and no change is likely to help.
Old May 24th 2007, 9:29 pm
MVP

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbucknersjersey22 View Post
I love the Cubs but how many more games is it gonna take to start winning? We are a fourth of the way through the year and struggling to get to .500 - So much promise but game after game after game of frustration. The NL Central is up for grabs but we can't get over the hump. The roster seems a bit unbalanced, the line up switches daily. The rotation is up and down. Big Z can't get untracked. Our bullpen is either overworked or underwhelming. Okay, enough from me. Can we just win 12 in a row and get moving?
....after game, after game, after game.....
Old May 24th 2007, 11:41 pm
MVP

My Mood:
" ...12 in a row ..."

I was slumming around the Internet tonight and your question eventually lead me to wonder what is the longest winning streak in Major League history ?

The longest ever by the Cubs is 21 games and the longest real streak in Major league history (as far as I am concerned - I don't qualify tie games in my book) is:

(drum roll, please)

21 GAMES ! .

Your very own Chicago Cubs in 1935 and in 1880 (counts in my book). (The foul Giants of 1916 won 26 in a row if you stoop to counting ties).

Can you imagine the fun ! We'd all be going nuts - we'd be crazy. Well, we can dream. That's most of a month of nothing but White Flags flying (hey ! - that might be a good screen name: "White Flag Flying").
Old May 25th 2007, 8:38 pm
Little Leaguer

My Mood:

Did you know that since 1874, almost 131 million fans have made the trip to Wrigley to watch the Cubs go 9,959 - 9,450 (.513). Many of the winning seasons came during the period of 1874 through 1914.

If you toss out that first 30 year span, the Cubs are 7,013 - 7,319 (.489). Those first 30 years must have been fun. WGN and Comcast must have made out like bandits back in those days. The Southwest Airlines 'How Far Did it Fly' contest was probably a huge draw, the Chicago Tribune was only about 50 cents and Ronnie 'Woo Woo' was really just Ronnie 'Woo'.

Sarcasm aside, I have watched the Cubs since 1969. I guess I jumped on that '69 bandwagon when I was 8 years old. Why wasn't there someone there to protect me when I made that stupid decision? 38 years of heartbreak is enough, I cannot imagine what others older than me are dealing with.

How many people were alive the last time the Cubs won a World Series? 1908. Geeeeeeez.....C'mon, enough already.

Last year, the Cardinals opened up the new Busch. The joke around here....
'What do the Cubs and Cardinals have in common?' Answer...'Neither team has won a World Series in their new ballpark'. I guess the joke is on us. The Diamondbacks have won a WS, the Blue Jays have won a WS and the Marlins have won a WS (no, make that two for the Marlins).

Frustration! Let's hope the Cubs don't go too much longer, I don't think many of us can take it any longer....
Old May 26th 2007, 11:23 am
Veteran

My Mood:

Send a message via AIM to mickeyrom51 Send a message via Yahoo to mickeyrom51
Im not sure we'll see .500 again this year.Are you?
Old May 26th 2007, 11:39 am
Little Leaguer

My Mood:

We don't have the horses to go .500 - Unless, these guys start catching some breaks and/or getting a little lucky!

I have to correct myself from an earlier post. The Cubs started playing at Wrigley in the 1920's...

Keepers are Soriano, Lee, Ramirez, Lilly, Marquis, Zambrano, Theriot, Hill and maybe Weurtz.

Question marks are Barrett, Dempster, Floyd, Ohman, Guzman and Murton.

Everyone else...Hop on the first bus out of Wrigleyville...
Sponsored Links