fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > Cubs Baseball > The Bleachers
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Nov 13th 2008, 6:04 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Wishing him well, there is no knock on Wood

Just posting my latest blog here on my cubs myspace page (new one since my last one got deleted. www.myspace.com/annocatuli). Yes, I wrote this, word for word. Hope you enjoy reading it.

Wishing him well, there is no Knock on Wood
Current mood: bummed
Category: Sports

Today, the Chicago Cubs traded away a young up and coming relief pitcher Jose Ceda to the Florida Marlins. In exchange we got their closer Kevin Gregg. What does this mean exactly? It most likely means that the longest tenured Cubs, Kerry Wood, will likely be on his way out of Chicago, and out of Cubbie Blue Pinstripes.

In an honest moment, I never thought that I would see the day that Wood was not a part of the Chicago Cub family. I was sure that he would spend his entire career with the Cubs, and when his career ultimately came to an end as a player; I was certain that he would be hired to be a coach in some capactiy for a franchise that he has spent his entire career with. Today, those dreams have likely been shattered, as his return to the Cubs roster for the 2009 baseball season is almost as unlikely as me ever wearing a White Sox jersey and becoming a fan of the team on the South Side.

Why, you ask (those that might actaully be reading this.... though I have few friends so far on here. And I have no subscriptions and no comments so I may just be talking to myself here) did I have such thoughts? Its quite simple really. Its because Wood is everything that the Cubs are. He is a living, breathing mascot for the Cubs. He is everything that the Cubs stand for, and everything that they have ever been. Allow me to explain.

Over the past century, the Cubs have had so many season where the potential was endless. They had teams that were expected and predicted to go all the way. The Cubs had so much talent, that their cups were over flowing with it. Sadly, all those years that were filled with endless expectation, the Chicago Cubs fell short, failing to reach the levels that they were expected to reach. Never quite realizing the greatness that they held. Much is the same for Wood.

In 1998, Wood came to the Cubs and had an amazing year. He had Cub fans everywhere in awe, as they looked on in amazement. He burst onto the scene, and early on, he set the National League record for strike outs in a 9 inning game, it also tied that Major League mark at 20. Wood would go on to win the National League Rookie of the Year award that year. baseball lifers, experts and fans all saw what he was doing and predicted great things for the kid who had looked like a sure thing. Sadly, much like the Cubs, Wood held so much potential, but due to injuries he never reached the level that was expected of him. He fell short of realizing the greatness that he possessed.

Wood was a warrior as far as I am concerned. Sure, he was injury prone, and spend time on the Disabled List almost every year of his career, but he was a warrior. Every time he went down with an injury, he fought back as hard as he could to come back as soon as he could, just so he could help his team. He wanted to help so badly, that at times he came back too early, and wound up injuring himself further. That never stopped him though, he kept trying to come back, and do all that he could to help the Cubs.

I am going to miss him, and it will not be the same watching him pitch in another teams uniform. I don't care where he goes, I will wish him well. Even if he lands in St. Louis or in Milwaukee. Sure, I may root for him to have a really bad game if he ever pitches against us, but I want him to succeed every other time he takes the mound. He deserves to be a part of a winning team, I just wish that he could have won here, with this team. That was not meant to be though, so I wish him well, wish him luck no matter where he lands.

Now, I am not saying that there is no chance that the Cubs will still resign him, just that the chances are not good. With his replacement seemingly being added to the Cubs, it looks like it is all but a done deal. I hope that I am wrong, and that he will be brough back. In my eyes, and in my heart, Wood will always be a Chicago Cub. Thank you for the memories Woody. You will be missed.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 6:11 pm
Veteran

My Mood:

did ya miss the other thread on this topic Ben? haha
Old Nov 13th 2008, 6:13 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

no, I posted the article from the Trib. But I wanted to post this seperate, as it was something that I WROTE
Old Nov 13th 2008, 6:39 pm
Banned

Wood's a good guy. I hope he does great wherever he ends up!
Old Nov 13th 2008, 7:02 pm
Veteran

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bims View Post
I hope he does great wherever he ends up!
I disagree. There is no way I will root for Woody if he ends up in a Turd on a bat or a southside convict uniform. The Cubs are bigger than Woody,always will be. Baseball is a business,plain & simple.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 7:14 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

thats sad that you feel that way. Some players, no matter where they go after they take off the Cubbie blue, will always be Cub fans.

Would you of sad the same thing about Banks? Sandberg? Yes, the team is always bigger then the individual players. But some players will always be favorites to fans. They will always have a place in our hearts. Wood is one of them.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 8:04 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlueCubFan View Post
I disagree. There is no way I will root for Woody if he ends up in a Turd on a bat or a southside convict uniform. The Cubs are bigger than Woody,always will be. Baseball is a business,plain & simple.
What does the business aspect of baseball have to do with me being loyal to a guy who played his heart out for my team? I'll be rooting for Kerry wether he's playing for the Cardinals or the White Sox. It's called being loyal to a guy who was loyal to my team!
Old Nov 13th 2008, 9:55 pm
Veteran

My Mood:

It was time for Kerry to go. Simple as that just another player, what ****ing memories? Oh do you mean his monumental choke in game 7 of the 2003 NLCS? Or do you choose to ignore that. Wood is what the Cubs where...a faded dream. We are trying to win a Championship so what ever it takes. I think this is a sign of Hendry getting ready to make an ultra aggresive move for that left handed stick the Chicago Cubs so badly need. Why pay Kerry 10-12 mill when you got Marmol locked and ready to go? Doesn't make sense. So so long Kerry don't wish you ill but I won't be chearing for you when you take the mound against my Cubs.......
Old Nov 13th 2008, 10:25 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubbie Blue Bleeder View Post
It was time for Kerry to go. Simple as that just another player, what ****ing memories? Oh do you mean his monumental choke in game 7 of the 2003 NLCS? Or do you choose to ignore that. Wood is what the Cubs where...a faded dream. We are trying to win a Championship so what ever it takes. I think this is a sign of Hendry getting ready to make an ultra aggresive move for that left handed stick the Chicago Cubs so badly need. Why pay Kerry 10-12 mill when you got Marmol locked and ready to go? Doesn't make sense. So so long Kerry don't wish you ill but I won't be chearing for you when you take the mound against my Cubs.......
Seriously choke? The guy carried us through the NLDS against the Braves. Do you not remember Wood going 2-0 with a 1.76 ERA against the Braves? If it wasn't for Kerry carrrying us their is no NLCS in 2003! He struggled in the NLCS, but it wasn't for lack of effort. I'll never forget his huge homer in game 7. They guy was a true gamer! ..... Wood went through countless major surgeries, and fought back everytime to retake the mound. He was an above average pitcher for the Cubs both as a starter and a reliever. He gave the Cubs discounts when he had opportunities to sign big contracts with other clubs. Most of all he loved being with the Cubs. And it was genuine! ..... In his first season as a closer he made the all star team. He's only going to get better in that role. Infact, he has more all star games ahead of him. ..... The Cubs are now left with Carlos Marmol. Marmol is overhyped, has no command, and has been made into something he's not by the fanbase. I don't see him fairing well at all as the closer. I think Big Jim has made a major mistake to begin this offseason.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 10:33 pm
Veteran

My Mood:

So what every player that has been loyal to a team should stay with them to the end? This 2008 not 1958 in an era of Free agency this should not suprise you. Plus Wood wasn't getting the big deals like you say he was. There was a reason he took a 1 year deal to set himself up for this big payday. Who cares if he loves the Cubs just get us a Ring I could care less if the guy is a Warrior or not. This deal opens the door for the Cubs to make improvements in other possitions. And there are 30 other teams that wished they had Marmol as there fall back closer. Even if you Bims feels he is overhyped.
Sponsored Links