fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > Cubs Baseball > Rival Central
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Aug 11th 2007, 4:18 pm

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ryno4ever
Move over Pujols...new star in STL!

How about this Rick Ankeil???? He made a comeback after giving up on pitching. Worked his way through the St. Louis minor league system changing positions to right fielder.... in his debut, he hit a curtain-calling home run for the Cardinals on Thursday. Today, on Fox's game of the week, he has already hit two home runs, made an unbelievable sliding catch up against the wall...and has quickly become the fan favorite in St. Louis.

Here are some scary numbers (I say scary, as we have yet to face this guy in his new position):

In 710 minor-league at-bats since retiring as a pitcher, Ankiel has hit 53 home runs. He is averaging one every 13.4 at-bats. His hitting line this season is .267/.314/.568, and his manager and hitting coach have both said as he improves his understanding of the strike zone his on-base percentage will climb. He is hitting .263 in the minors as an outfielder with 187 hits against 156 strikeouts.

He hits .310 against lefthanded pitchers; .316 against righthanders.

But he has slugged .596 in 109 at-bats against lefties, while slugging .557 in 280 at-bats against righthanders.

He is definately something we need to watch. With 7 against us and 6 left against the Brewers, the Cardinals may have just found their spark they need to catapult them back into the race.....

Even though he is on the Cardinals, I have to applaud his journey and where this guy who could have easily given up, to where he is today.... hats off to Rick Ankeil!
Old Aug 11th 2007, 4:55 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

I totally agree Ryno. Eventhough the guy does play for one of our biggest rivals, you have to give him kudos. He has been through so much. I actually went down to Nashville this year to see him play. You know who was also playing- Braun. People in the RF bleachers were flat giving Ankiel hell. I felt bad for him. This was real early in the season. He has had a great start, and I am pulling for him to do well. In saying that, he will probably be figured out soon and his success will decline. He does look like he has a few holes in his swing.
Old Aug 11th 2007, 10:10 pm
MVP

My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to BigZ38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIPPER 11 View Post
In saying that, he will probably be figured out soon and his success will decline. He does look like he has a few holes in his swing.
And the same thing will happen to Braun. I hate hearing about Ankiel. Oh my God he failed as a pitcher and now is an outfielder. Minor leaugers switch positions all the time and they don't have their own little segment in Sports Illustrated. Let's see....didn't Marmol move from catcher to pitcher....yep think he did, so why isn't his success celebrated like this guys?
Old Aug 11th 2007, 10:20 pm
MVP

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZ38 View Post
And the same thing will happen to Braun. I hate hearing about Ankiel. Oh my God he failed as a pitcher and now is an outfielder. Minor leaugers switch positions all the time and they don't have their own little segment in Sports Illustrated. Let's see....didn't Marmol move from catcher to pitcher....yep think he did, so why isn't his success celebrated like this guys?
Probably because this guys career was basicaly over. He then took it upon himself to keep working at it and prepare himself for a new position. Marmol was switched changed early in his years to where this guy wasn't, he was on limited time and now he is in the majors.
Old Aug 11th 2007, 10:22 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

There is a big difference in Ankeil and Marmol. Marmol never made it up to the big leagues as a catcher, much less a stud catcher. Ankeil was a so called cant miss pitcher that pitched well for the Cards and just totally lost it one day and never got it back. I know he is a Cardinal, but it was a sad story and him coming back this year doing what he is doing is good. He never gave up. There are plenty of guys in the league that are position players in the minors that change to be a pitcher.

As far as the league figuring out Braun- I hope they do- but they have had plenty of time- no holes in that swing.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 12:49 am
MVP

My Mood:
I apologize ryno4ever - I recently posted a similar thread when I got home from work without completely checking to see if there was another thread.

I - and apparently you - thought it was a very good story.
Sponsored Links