fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > Cubs Baseball > Game Threads
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Sep 26th 2007, 7:34 am

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ryno4ever
Lightbulb 9/26 CHC@FLA, 6:05 p.m.; TV: CSN; Radio: WGN

Okay...enough playing around, it's time for a good old fashioned FISH FRY!

Quote:
The Cubs' magic number remains at four and their division lead has shrunk to two games over the Milwaukee Brewers heading into the second game against the Florida Marlins on Wednesday.
Jason Marquis gets the start. The right-hander is coming off a disappointing outing against Pittsburgh, in which he gave up seven runs on eight hits and two walks over 2 2/3 innings. It wasn't his shortest start of the season, but close. Fortunately for Marquis, the Cubs rallied to win that game, 13-8.

"You learn from the mistakes you made and try to fix it," Marquis said. "It's a long season. Your goal is to make 34 starts. You're not going to dominate and deal every time. You're going to have bumps in the road.

"I'm happy with my year. Am I satisfied? No. I'm happy with the improvements and feel like I'm going to get better every time I go out there."

The Cubs opened their last regular-season road trip Tuesday in Miami under overcast skies, and with plenty of fans in the stands at Dolphin Stadium.

Derrek Lee and the Marlins won the Wild Card in 2003, and Lee, now with the Cubs, says there's no comparing Florida fans and Chicago fans. The Cubs got a peek at what to expect during the last homestand at Wrigley Field.

"It's a lot more intense here [in Chicago]," Lee said. "In Florida, they didn't really come out until the playoffs. We had some big games there in September, and it was a pretty empty stadium."

It was a playoff atmosphere at Wrigley when the magic number wasn't in single digits.

"I remember playing [at Wrigley] in '03 in the playoffs, and this is pretty close right now [to what it was like then]," Lee said. "I'm excited, if we're able to get in the playoffs, what it will be like."

The Cubs hope to find out next week. Maybe Marquis is the key. He's been on playoff teams with Atlanta and St. Louis.

"Maybe I'm a lucky charm -- I like to feel like I had something to do with it," Marquis said.

If the Cubs and Brewers end with a tie, they will have a one-game playoff Monday at Wrigley Field. Marquis is slated to start that game.

"Obviously, for the team's sake, I'd like to avoid it at all costs," Marquis said. "If it happens, I'm ready for the challenge."

Pitching matchup
CHC: RHP Jason Marquis (12-8, 4.35 ERA)
Marquis had trouble keeping the ball down in his last start against the Pirates and blew a 5-1 lead. This will be his last regular-season start.

FLA: RHP Daniel Barone (1-3, 5.30 ERA)
Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez picked Barone for the start. The right-hander has appeared in 14 games with five starts since being called up from Triple-A Albuquerque in August. Barone is coming off a loss at Atlanta on Sept. 19. He gave up four runs on seven hits over 4 1/3 innings.

Player to watch
Expect to see some left-handed bats in the lineup, like Cliff Floyd and Jacque Jones. Floyd has homered in four of his last eight games, dating back to Sept. 12, against Houston. He's batting .296 in his last 11 games. Jones has hit safely in 11 of his last 12 starts, batting .348 with two doubles, a triple and seven RBIs.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 7:36 am

My Mood:
From the Marlins website:

Quote:
The Marlins will look to remain undefeated against the Cubs this season when they face off again at 7:05 p.m. ET on Wednesday.
Behind a sterling outing from Dontrelle Willis, Florida secured a 4-2 win over Chicago on Tuesday to open the three-game series. The Marlins swept a three-game set at Wrigley Field earlier this season.

Daniel Barone will take the mound for Florida in his first career meeting with the Cubs. The right-hander will be making his sixth start with the Marlins, with his only win in the Majors coming out of the bullpen.

Chicago will counter with right-hander Jason Marquis, who is 4-1 in his last five decisions. Marquis was rattled by the Fish in his only other meeting with them this season, allowing four runs in five innings on May 29. He's 4-4 all-time against Florida.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 2:19 pm
All-Star

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to bringbacktuffy
Wont be able to post during the game but I figured I would add my thoughts beforehand.
Cubs need this game badly. (I like to state the obvious)
Barone is a pitcher making his first start against the cubs and that makes me nervous.
Offense had better wake up.
Hopefully they dont worry about what other teams are doing and just play their hearts out.

GO CUBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 26th 2007, 3:08 pm

My Mood:
WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY?: Despite last night’s series-opening 4-2 loss at the Florida Marlins, the Chicago Cubs have won 10 of their last 13 games heading into the final 5 games of the 2007 regular season…after tomorrow’s finale of this 3-game set in South Florida, the Cubs conclude the regular season back where it all began with a 3-game set this weekend in Cincinnati.

With a win tonight, the Cubs would return to 10 games above .500 to match their high water mark of the 2007 campaign…heading into this series, the Cubs were 10 games above .500 at 83-73 for the first time this season and the first time since the end of the 2003 campaign (89-73).

IN GOOD STANDING: The Cubs begin the day in sole possession of first place in the National League Central, 2.0 games ahead of the Brewers.

The Cubs have spent 38 of the last 40 days in first place, either with sole possession (30 days) or in a tie (8 days)…the Cubs have owned or shared first place for a total of 40 days in 2007.
The Cubs are in first place in the N.L. Central as late as September 26 for the first time since winning the division in 2003, the team’s most recent appearance in the postseason.

A BIT OF A DRY SPELL: The Cubs have now lost eight games in a row to the Marlins starting with a 7-5 setback on April 26, 2006 at Wrigley Field…Chicago also lost eight games in a row to Florida from September 4, 1996-August 20, 1997…since the Marlins joined the majors in 1993, the Cubs have not lost more than eight games in a row to a single opponent in the last 15 years.

A STEP IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION: Through 157 games this season, the Cubs possess an 83-74 record – a 20-game turnaround when compared to the 63-94 record the club had through 156 games in 2006 (and 64-94 through 158)…now in first place in the N.L. Central, Chicago found itself in last place and 19.5 games back of the division leader this time last year.

BIG WHIFFERS: The Cubs lead the majors with 1,174 strikeouts this season, 23 more than their next closest competitor in the Dodgers and Devil Rays (1,151).
The Cubs have led the majors in strikeouts in each of the last 6 seasons beginning in 2001…the Cubs in 2007 are looking to become the first team to lead the majors in strikeouts in seven seasons in a row since the Dodgers, who did so for seven years from 1957-1963.

DOUBLE TIME: The Cubs enter the day with 325 doubles this season, already the 2nd-most doubles in a single-season in franchise history…the Cubs are 15 doubles shy of matching the franchise record of 340 doubles in 1931.

ROAD WARRIORS: The Cubs play their final 5 games of the regular season on the road, ending the campaign away from Wrigley for the first time since 2005…at 39-37 away from Wrigley this season, the Cubs are the only N.L. Central team above .500 on the road and the only club within the division with a chance to post a winning record on the road this season

RIGHT ON: The Cubs tonight face a right-handed pitcher for the first time in exactly one week (Cincinnati’s Tom Shearn last Wednesday), snapping a stretch of four left-handed pitchers in a row…tomorrow the Cubs will make it five of six games when facing lefty starter Scott Olsen.
The Cubs are 6-2 against left-handed starters this month and have gone 9-4 against lefty starters dating to August 16…the Cubs lost 8 of 10 games
Old Sep 26th 2007, 3:08 pm

My Mood:
CLOSE CALLS: The Cubs are 21-10 (.677) in their last 31 games decided by one run after starting the season just 2-12 (.143) in those contests through May 27…Chicago is 23-22 (.511) in one-run games in 2007.

HOME OWNERS: The Cubs wrapped up their 81-game slate at Wrigley Field 44-37, the club’s first winning record at home since going 45-37 at the Friendly Confines in 2004 (extra home game due to weather in Florida)…the Cubs began the season 10-17 in their first 27 games at home before going 34-20 in their final 54 regular season home contests.

The Cubs this year established a single-season attendance record at Wrigley Field with 3,252,642 fans, soaring past the previous mark of 3,170,184 set in 2004…this year’s total at Wrigley also represents the largest single-season attendance mark ever for any franchise or venue in Chicago.

START ME UP: Carlos Zambrano (career-high 17 wins), Ted Lilly (15 wins to match his career high), Jason Marquis (12 wins) and Rich Hill (career-high 10 wins) have all reached double digits in victories in 2007…the Cubs last had four pitchers with 10 or more wins in 2003 with Mark Prior (18), Matt Clement (14), Kerry Wood (14) and Carlos Zambrano (13).
Old Sep 26th 2007, 3:12 pm

My Mood:
Jason Marquis, who surpassed 1,000 career innings pitched June 25 vs. Colorado, posted 42 victories from 2004-2006 … the 42 wins were more than Barry Zito (41), Jason Schmidt (41) and Pedro Martinez (40) boasted in that same span.

Marquis spent the previous three seasons with division rival St. Louis after pitching for the Braves from 2000-2003.
As a starter, has compiled a 66-60 record with a 4.46 ERA (501 ER/1010.2 IP) in 169 career outings.
Has gone 55-26 with a 2.88 ERA (231 ER/722.2 IP) in 105 starts in which he tossed 6.0 or more innings … has an 11-34 mark with a 8.44 ERA (270 ER/288.0 IP) in 64 starts that lasted less than 6.0 innings.
Captured the 2005 NL Silver Slugger Award for pitchers … was the first Cardinals pitcher to win a Silver Slugger since Bob Forsch in 1987.
Has made 9 postseason appearances, including 2 outings (1 start) in the 2004 World Series as a member of the NL Champion St. Louis Cardinals.
Was teammates with Mark DeRosa and Henry Blanco in Atlanta from 2002-03.
Graduated in 1996 from Tottenville (N.Y.) High School, where he played baseball and basketball and was a member of the National Honor Society.

Last Time Out
Did not receive a decision in the Cubs’ 13-8 victory against Pittsburgh September 21, working 2.2 innings, allowing 7 runs on 8 hits and 2 walks while striking out 1 … was his shortest outing since pitching 1.2 innings on June 9 at Atlanta.

2007 Season

Jason is 12-0 with a 2.17 ERA (28 ER/116.0 IP) in games he’s gone 6.0 or more innings (17 starts total) – the club is 15-2 in those outings …has gone at least 6.0 innings in 6 of his last 9 starts … has held opponents to a .248 batting average (177-for-714) this season.
Is 2-0 with a 4.88 ERA (15 ER/27.2 IP) in 5 September starts.
Has posted an 8-3 record with a 4.29 ERA (45 ER/94.1 IP) in 16 starts vs. the N.L. Central.
The Cubs are 9-2 in Jason’s last 10 starts at Wrigley Field dating to June 14 vs. Seattle – he is 5-1 with a 5.40 ERA (38 ER/63.1 IP) in that span
Had a 4.45 ERA (15 ER/30.1 IP) in 5 August outings after posting a 6.29 ERA (24 ER/34.1 IP) in 6 July starts.
Went 5-0 with a 2.47 ERA (15 ER/54.2 IP) in 8 starts from April 16-May 24.
Has gone 7-2 with a 4.30 ERA (43 ER/90.0 IP) in 15 day games … is 5-6 with a 4.41 ERA (47 ER/96.0 IP) in 17 night contests.
Is 8-3 with a 4.53 ERA (51 ER/101.1 IP) in 17 home starts … is 4-5 with a 4.15 ERA (39 ER/84.2 IP) in 15 road outings.
Is 2-1 with a 2.97 ERA (10 ER/30.1 IP) over his last 5 road starts dating to August 10 at Colorado.

Notable Starts

Received a no decision in his Cubs debut, April 5 in Cincinnati despite allowing just 1 run in 6.0 innings of work … allowed 4 hits and 2 walks while striking out 1 in the Cubs’ 5-2 loss.
Earned his first win as a Cub in his third start of the season in a 12-4 win vs. San Diego April 16 … tossed 6.0 innings, allowing 1 run on 3 hits and 4 walks while striking out 5.
Tossed 7.0 shutout innings against his former team, earning the 6-0 victory over the Cardinals at Wrigley Field April 21 … allowed 7 hits and walked none while striking out 5 and hitting 2 batters.
Defeated his former team for the second straight time, April 27 in St. Louis … tossed 6.2 innings, allowing 3 runs on 5 hits and 3 walks in the Cubs’ 5-3 victory.
Had opened the season without allowing a home run in 30.2 consecutive innings before Yadier Molina’s 2-run shot in the seventh inning.
Spun a gem in the Cubs’ 7-1 victory May 2 in Pittsburgh … allowed 1 run on 4 hits and no walks while striking out 5 in 8.0 innings of work.
Tossed his second career shutout in a 1-0 victory vs. Pittsburgh May 9 … allowed just 3 hits and no walks while striking out 5 in his first complete game shutout since August 27, 2005, at Washington while with St. Louis.
Was his first CG effort since September 4, 2005 at Houston.
Began July with a bang, winning his first game since May 9, allowing 1 run over 7.0 innings of work vs. Milwaukee July 1 … was the first time since May 24 that he worked at least 7.0 innings.
Worked his longest start since his complete game shutout May 9, earning his second win of July as he tossed 7.2 innings in the Cubs’ 6-2 victory over Arizona July 20 … allowed 2 runs on 4 hits and 1 walk while striking out 3.
Earned his ninth win of the season, and his first road win since May 2 at Pittsburgh, in a 6-2 victory at Colorado August 10 … tossed 6.2 innings, allowing 1 unearned run on 5 hits and no walks while striking out 5.
Earned his 10th win of the season in the Cubs 12-4 victory over Cincinnati August 16 … he won his second straight decision, tossing 6.0 innings, allowing 4 runs on 7 and 4 walks while striking out 2.
Allowed 2 runs over 6.2 innings of work en route to his 11th win of the season in the Cubs’ 4-3 victory September 1 vs. Houston … allowed 5 hits, 1 walk and 1 home run while striking out 5 … it was his first September victory since September 21, 2005, at Cincinnati while with St. Louis.
Won his 12th game of the season in the Cubs’ 4-2 victory at St. Louis September 16, working 6.1 innings, allowing 1 run on 5 hits and 2 walks while striking out 4 … allowed just 4 baserunners over his first 5.0 innings pitched.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 4:15 pm

My Mood:
THE LINEUPS!

FOR YOUR CHICAGO CUBS:

SORIANO
THERIOT
LEE
FLOYD
RAMIREZ
DeROSA
JAQUE JONES