fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > Cubs Baseball > Minor Matters
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Feb 6th 2007, 9:08 am
All-Star

My Mood:

Cubs Draft Overview- via Baseball America

There's some interesting stuff here about some future Cubs...

Courtesy of "Baseball America Prospect Handbook 2007"

Best Pro Debut: OF Tyler Colvin (1) was a surprise as the 13th overall pick, then went out and hit .268 with 11 homers and 12 steals to earn top-prospect recognition in the Northwest League. RHP Jeremy Papelbon (19) made the NWL all-star team after going 4-0 with 50 strikeouts in 44 innings. OF Matt Camp (13) batted .289 with 22 steals and an NWL-high 87 hits, and looked good at second base in an instructional league.

Best Athlete: RHP Jeff Samardzija (5) is an all-America wide receiver who set Notre Dame records for receiptions (77) and touchdown catches (15) in 2005 and has definate NFL potential. If he stickswith baseball he'll collect a record $7.25 million bonus; if we walks, the Cubs are only out $250,000 at this point. In terms of athletism, Colvin has a chance to develop plus tools accross the board. OF Drew Rundle (14) has similar tools.

Best Pure Hitter: Colvin, with Rundle and OF Cliff Andersen (9) right behind him.

Best Raw Power: Both Colvin & Rundle have nice loft in their swings. Colvin has more projection then most college juniors, as he didn't turn 21 until September and is still growing into his 6-foot-3, 190-pound frame.

Fastest Runner: Andersen runs a 60 yard dash in 60 seconds and is a good all around athlete.

Best Defense Player: 3B Josh Lansford (6) has plus-plus arm strength, plus range and surprising agility for a 6-foot-2 220-pounder. he can get a little pull happy, but he can do damage at the plate as well.

Best Fastball: Samardzija has touched 99 a couple of times and usually pitches at 91-94 mph. he's expected to throw mid to upper 90's regularity. RHP Chris Huseby (11) barely pitched in the spring while coming back from 2005 Tommy John surgery but showed enough to get a $1.3 million bonus. throws 90-95 mph with good life. Fifth-year senior sign Rocky Roquet and fellow RHP's Michael Cooper (26) and Miguel Cuevas (36) can pitch into the mid-90's.

Best Breaking Ball: Either Huseby's or RHP Billy Muldowney's (8) curveball, both of which need more consistancy. There's more power to Huseby's hook.

Most Intriguing Backround: Lansford's father Carney won an American League batting title; his uncles Jody & Phil were former first-round picks; and his brother Jared was a second round choice by the Athletics in 2005. Papelbon's twin brother Josh signed with the Red Sox as a 48th-rounder in June, and their older brother Jonathan is an all-star with Boston. Cubs scouting director Tim Wilken drafted SS Matt Matulia's (24) brother John in 2005 while with the Devil Rays.

Closest To The Majors: There's a lot of upside but may not be a fast-track player in this draft. Pitching could come together quickly for Samardzija, but he still needs to work on his delivery and secondary pitches, Colvin needs at least two years in the minors before he'll be a finished product.

Best Late-Round Pick: Huseby & Rundle. Cooper & Cuevas required smaller investments.

The One Who Got Away: The Cubs lost the rights to four players, the best whom is offensive minded Clemsons 3B Marquez Smith (35).

Assessment: The cubs gave up their second- through fourth-round picks as free agent compensation, but they made up for it with Samardzija, Huseby, & Rundle. Wilken's drafts havethe best track record among current scouting directors, and this was a typical Wilkens effort with power pitchers and multi-tooled position players.

2005- Few lefties have arms to match Mark Pawelek (1) and Donald Veal (2), though they ahve rough edges to smooth out.

2004- The Cubs had no first-rounder and their top choice, RHP Grant Johnson (2), has been a $1.26 million bust. RHP Shawn Gallagher (12) and 2b Eric Patterson (8) are left to salvage this class.

2003- OF Ryan Harvey (1) is a high risk, high reward player whose future is still unclear. LHP Sean Marshall (6) was a nice find, but signing Tim Lincecum (48) would have been even nicer.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 2:09 pm
All-Star

My Mood:

60 yards in 60 seconds? That's the fastest we got?
Old Feb 6th 2007, 2:52 pm
MVP

My Mood:

Send a message via AIM to HOLYCOW!25
Yea I hope they meant 60 yards in 6 seconds, because I think anyone can get 60 yards in 60 seconds.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 4:53 pm
All-Star

My Mood:

God I hope we have faster guys than that, hell I can run 60 yards in a minute and i'm way out of shape.
That has to be a misprint
Old Feb 6th 2007, 5:56 pm
All-Star

My Mood:

I typed it word for word. I just looked again and it says 60 in 60. It's an obvious typo...
Old Feb 6th 2007, 6:39 pm

My Mood:

Send a message via ICQ to VanMan Send a message via AIM to VanMan Send a message via MSN to VanMan Send a message via Yahoo to VanMan Send a message via Skype™ to VanMan
I'll bet they missed the period key and meant to say 6.0 seconds. That's faster over 60 yards than most football players can run a 40.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 12:32 am
All-Star

My Mood:

yeah that sounds right. and damn that's fast!
Old Feb 26th 2007, 10:21 am
Rookie

My Mood:

Thank for posting that. I enjoyed reading it. Colvin excites me now, actually. I didn't like the pick at the time, though.

-Scout
Sponsored Links