fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > Cubs Baseball > The Bleachers
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Apr 22nd 2010, 10:00 pm
All-Star

My Mood:

or just opinions...oh that's right, I forgot you know everything
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 10:30 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbie_kern View Post
or just opinions...
Yeah, but you gotta admit....a pretty dumb opinion!
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 10:42 pm
MVP

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banks View Post
Yeah, but you gotta admit....a pretty dumb opinion!
yes glad you admitted it. you have many
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 2:37 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEYHEY View Post
yes glad you admitted it. you have many
Dam, that stung...you really got me there...

Let HEYHEY's machete sharp, wit, be a warning to you all!
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 10:39 pm

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ryno4ever
Can we PLEASE stop with the name calling, opinion bashing, and the "I'm smarter and better than you" attitudes on here? . It's gotten to where I don't even like to post on here because every single post is turned into a damned arguement and nonsense of telling others that their opinions are dumb! Really? Are we in junior high?

We are all Cub fans here. We all have varying degrees of "baseball knowledge"... and we even have different aspects of the game and the team we find interesting. I always loved a good "discussion" on here, but anymore, every single thread turns into a fight over who's OPINION is right.

Coming on here and flat out telling someone their OPINION is a dumb one does NOTHING positive for a discussion. If you want to politely discuss a topic, then please do so. If you want to come on here and just stir up trouble, degrade people, and be a complete jackass, please refer yourself to a message board at cubs.com where you would fit in very well. I would like to go back to feeling comfortable about discussing the team.

I will be the first to admit I am not a baseball encyclopedia, I am horrible with stats and numbers... however, I have loved many of the things I have learned from many of my fellow posters on here. I love learning about the parts of the game that I don't know alot about. I love when I read something that one of the guys point out and then I can actually watch for it in a game. But when people like you come on here and expect everyone on here to be experts on every aspect of the game and totally put them down because they don't, it makes people uncomfortable to take part in the discussions, myself included.

So, I ask ALL OF you, please be RESPECTFUL to the other posters on the board, as well as their opinions and thoughts.

...and as far as my "maddux" comment, it was a bit sarcastic being that anyone may be able to make some better baseball decisions than the Hendry's and Lou's have done up to this point. No numbers to back it up. No stats to throw out there. It's simply my opinion and how I felt at the time I posted it. I was angy, I wanted to vent... and I simply posted what was on my mind at the time.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 12:36 am
All-Star

My Mood:

but that's stupid ryno... you act like this is a message board where you're supposed to post your opinion! You have to be Banks to right...
Old Apr 29th 2010, 1:16 pm
Rookie

now that the Bulls season has ended i can turn my focus to the Cubs. I'm still glued to the NBA playoffs and the Blackhawks, but i can finally and catch a few innings and read up on the team.

everyone seems down on the team this year. i think the core of that problem is due to the fact the big 3 in the line-up, Lee, Aram and Soriano have all been big flops in the post season. So were still cheering for these guys to win the division - yet we know come playoff time were going to be afraid to watch. We have no confidence in those guys to win it all.

We know Lou is a lame duck and it's doubtfull the Ricketts will spend $$$ on the roster becayse they have to recoup the purchase price and start turning a profit.

I'm liking this Marlon Byrd guy and looking forward to more Tyler Colvin and can't wait to see Castro in June when they bring him up.

But no question, Lee, Aramins and Soriano have stopped being the focus on my attention. I'm ready to build with some new guys - that will be interesting.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 3:42 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeEila's/rant View Post
I guess I should not have assumed I was speaking to an educated audience. Some people may come from the perspective that a catcher just sits there and catches pitches and throws out runners but that is not all that they are responsible for. When it comes to calling a game , it is not that the catcher is telling the pitcher what pitches to throw , he is also positioning the infield to match the pitch thrown. Now , with a veteran infield he is not going to tell D Lee to cheat a batter . Lee already knows to cheat so a good catcher looks up and sees Lee cheating first and a left handed pull hitter in the box. Lee is expecting the catcher to ask for an inside elevated cutter to jam the hitter and ground out to Lee. The pitcher is using the catcher to be his eyes behind his back so if there is good trust between the two you won't see him get shook off much.This is why Maddux liked to have Blanco catch for him. Now if a pitcher doesn't have a certain pitch working for him he will align the infield to fit what pitch he has. A good catcher does this seamlessly and most people don't see it , especially with the bad angles they show on television. I don't see Soto putting it all together as well as Hill does. Hill is better at throwing out runners. Next time you get to see Hill catch for Lilly or Dempster check out the number of ground out compared to when Soto is catching . You see more strike outs with Soto behind the plate but more ground outs or fly outs with Hill . I prefer and I am sure Hendry does too to see the ground out because it keeps your pitch count down.

I am not saying the Hill is a world class catcher but he is a better option than Soto. Every time the team has gone to Hill he has stepped up and not failed and that deserves to be rewarded plus he is a switch hitter. I am not a loyalist as much as I am more of a guy that believes you keep going back to the well as long as it is producing and again Koyie Hill has stepped up every time he has been asked.

The reason you and I can not come together is that you accept Soto's number from his rookie year and I do not. They are so far out of line of what he has put up before or after that I suspect chemical inflation.

There are only two reasons that anyone would start Soto over Hill , Fukudome and Soriano . Without any true power on the corners we are forced to blindly hope for 30 homers from Soto. If we are not going to get that power then Hill is your best choice.
And for it being just one game , it is not , it was game 162 for most of this team except Byrd.
Bump

I tried to figure out where that nut ever got the idea that I said Hill was a better hitter than Soto. This is the only reference I ever made in comparing them in front of the plate.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 11:10 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeEila's/rant View Post
Bump

I tried to figure out where that nut ever got the idea that I said Hill was a better hitter than Soto. This is the only reference I ever made in comparing them in front of the plate.
I love it when someone tries to back away from a statement they made!
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 1:44 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

WOW This team really SUCKS !