fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > Cubs Baseball > The Bleachers
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Sep 19th 2007, 11:12 pm
MVP

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringbacktuffy View Post
All I know is this: Soriano has brought a dimension to this team we havent seen in years. He is what we wanted Patterson to be and then some. How Lou has used him in the lineup has been working, we're in first place and I see no reason to rock the boat. Lou has a proven track record and I think he has earned the trust of the powers that be with his decision making. Soriano is our left fielder and lead-off hitter. Deal with it.
Yup. Right on.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 1:19 am
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeifiPerezMVP2007 View Post
Are you being sarcastic?
That is correct. Those people on here saying he is selfish are just making ridiculous points to prove it. I've said that I like Soriano batting leadoff. I think the pitches he sees there fits his style better than the other spots. He might not be the typical leadoff, but it works. I know some people have labled him a bust. And there will always be those who say he is overpaid, but I would pay him $100 million if he never even swung the bat as long as he keeps gunning runners out at the plate.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 8:33 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulusierra View Post
That is correct. Those people on here saying he is selfish are just making ridiculous points to prove it. I've said that I like Soriano batting leadoff. I think the pitches he sees there fits his style better than the other spots. He might not be the typical leadoff, but it works. I know some people have labled him a bust. And there will always be those who say he is overpaid, but I would pay him $100 million if he never even swung the bat as long as he keeps gunning runners out at the plate.
Obviously you are completely ignorant of the science of baseball. Do you seriously think the run production of this team is where it should be ? Eeking out 2-4 runs a game is not what this team should be doing . I know they will not change the lineup this late in the season but , what I am saying is fact . If we had better run production we would not be struggling right now 2 or 3 more runs in key games and we would have been looking at clinching this with the game we played last night.
It is called critical thinking and is what most fans of baseball do . Mind numbed robots have a place too , I guess .

BTW you posted this Aug 28th at 2:48 pm

" I say bat him leadoff when he is healthy. But until they are going to give him the greenlight on the bases, bat him third. I think they should move Lee into the 2 hole. If you take some of the pressure off of him to drive in runs, I think he could get his swing back and that would mean a lot of doubles. The 3 spot still gives Soriano the chance to swing away. W/ the offense being inconsistent lately I think putting him in the 2 spot would require him to concentrate on moving runners over. Something he is not too familiar w/.
"

Are you going to say I made this up too ?
Just because you disagree with my opinion is no reason to call me a liar . When you are in complete contradiction to what you said less than a month ago ,it would be easy to say you talk like a guy with a paper asshole .
Old Sep 20th 2007, 9:31 am
All-Star

My Mood:

Sounds like someone gets a little offended when someone disagrees w/them.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 10:50 am
MVP

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeEila's/rant View Post
Obviously you are completely ignorant of the science of baseball. Do you seriously think the run production of this team is where it should be ? Eeking out 2-4 runs a game is not what this team should be doing . I know they will not change the lineup this late in the season but , what I am saying is fact . If we had better run production we would not be struggling right now 2 or 3 more runs in key games and we would have been looking at clinching this with the game we played last night.
It is called critical thinking and is what most fans of baseball do . Mind numbed robots have a place too , I guess .

BTW you posted this Aug 28th at 2:48 pm

" I say bat him leadoff when he is healthy. But until they are going to give him the greenlight on the bases, bat him third. I think they should move Lee into the 2 hole. If you take some of the pressure off of him to drive in runs, I think he could get his swing back and that would mean a lot of doubles. The 3 spot still gives Soriano the chance to swing away. W/ the offense being inconsistent lately I think putting him in the 2 spot would require him to concentrate on moving runners over. Something he is not too familiar w/.
"

Are you going to say I made this up too ?
Just because you disagree with my opinion is no reason to call me a liar . When you are in complete contradiction to what you said less than a month ago ,it would be easy to say you talk like a guy with a paper asshole .
I wasn't going to post on this topic because I don't view Soriano as being selfish. I do believe for the production that he has given that he is NOT worth $136 million up to now, although it is pretty damn exciting to watch teams that don't do their advanced scouting try to run on him. I expected a lot more for the money, though. The fact of the matter is that he has no control on where he bats in the lineup. You can make all the promises in the world to sign a guy, but ultimately the lineup card is made out by Piniella (with some behind the scenes input form Hendry I'm sure). They are the ones that don't have the balls to make a change with the lineup for the betterment of the team. This statement applies to Derrek Lee as well. I agree the stats show that Soriano bats best in the leadoff spot and would have argued to keep him there before his injury, but since the injury I am not so sure about the leadoff spot for him while he is not 100%. I think the 1-2 combo of Theriot and Jones/Kendall worked pretty damn well. Then you bat Soriano 3rd with the mindset that he gets the protection and fastballs he needs from Ramirez. Lee moves to the fifth spot where he has batted most of his career. Lee has not been clutch this year at all. Anyone that wants to argue against that feel free but you sure won't convince me. Now I am not suggesting they make these changes now because it is way too late in the game, but I think you could have mixed it up in this fashion a month or so ago because at that point nothing could have hurt any worse. I honestly believe that both Soriano and Lee would have benefited greatly from the change even IF it was just for a short while until they got their act together.

But, again it is too late to mix things up now and now we just get to ride this train to its final destination and just hope our final stop isn't Cincinnati. Let's all hope our final game takes place in either New York, Boston, Cleveland, OR I hear late October in Southern California (Anaheim) is a very nice time of year.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 10:55 am
Rookie

My Mood:

Send a message via AIM to Bierboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by roenick99 View Post
I wasn't going to post on this topic because I don't view Soriano as being selfish. I do believe for the production that he has given that he is NOT worth $136 million up to now, although it is pretty damn exciting to watch teams that don't do their advanced scouting try to run on him. I expected a lot more for the money, though. The fact of the matter is that he has no control on where he bats in the lineup. You can make all the promises in the world to sign a guy, but ultimately the lineup card is made out by Piniella (with some behind the scenes input form Hendry I'm sure). They are the ones that don't have the balls to make a change with the lineup for the betterment of the team. This statement applies to Derrek Lee as well. I agree the stats show that Soriano bats best in the leadoff spot and would have argued to keep him there before his injury, but since the injury I am not so sure about the leadoff spot for him while he is not 100%. I think the 1-2 combo of Theriot and Jones/Kendall worked pretty damn well. Then you bat Soriano 3rd with the mindset that he gets the protection and fastballs he needs from Ramirez. Lee moves to the fifth spot where he has batted most of his career. Lee has not been clutch this year at all. Anyone that wants to argue against that feel free but you sure won't convince me. Now I am not suggesting they make these changes now because it is way too late in the game, but I think you could have mixed it up in this fashion a month or so ago because at that point nothing could have hurt any worse. I honestly believe that both Soriano and Lee would have benefited greatly from the change even IF it was just for a short while until they got their act together.

But, again it is too late to mix things up now and now we just get to ride this train to its final destination and just hope our final stop isn't Cincinnati. Let's all hope our final game takes place in either New York, Boston, Cleveland, OR I hear late October in Southern California (Anaheim) is a very nice time of year.
Couldn't have said it better. Lee has been a bit of a disappointment this year in the clutch (and even defensively at times). I'd like to see the lineup you listed on opening day next year. I agree that Soriano should get some good pitches to hit if he's protected by A-Ram batting fourth.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 11:25 am
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeEila's/rant View Post
[font="Century Gothic"][size="2"][color="Blue"]Obviously you are completely ignorant of the science of baseball.
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 11:59 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Emotional headline followed by polarizing commentary works , 7 pages of responses maybe set a record in threads here . Newspapers could take a lesson from this .
Old Sep 20th 2007, 1:53 pm
All-Star

My Mood:

before the game last night Lee had a .995 fielding % didn't he?
Old Sep 21st 2007, 9:01 am
MVP

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by roenick99 View Post

Yes yes yes,that is the way I see it except for one thing.Why is it to late to change the line up????
I mean this team has changed on a daily basis all year and handled it well.These guy's are well paid professionals right?
I'll tell you one thing.If they don't increase run production they will be one and done in the playoffs,IF they even make it that far.People who don't see that Fonzie batting leadoff wil not increase run production really don't know baseball.I'm sorry but that is the plain and simple truth.Fonzie is a great player and I like him alot so this is nothing against him however he is not being used properly.Your top homerun hitter needs to be put in a position to drive in the most runs possible when he hits them.Now that he is hurt he has become one demensional on base and everyone knows it.So why is a homerun hitting,high strike out player who can't run leading off?
You tell me how that gets you anywhere unless he hits a HR every time up at leadoff?
Sponsored Links