fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > Cubs Baseball > The Bleachers
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Feb 23rd 2008, 3:17 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Mark DeRosa taken to hospital!!!!!!!

Mark DeRosa-2B-Cubs Feb. 23 - 3:07 pm et

Mark DeRosa was taken to a local hospital during Saturday’s practice after apparently suffering an irregular heartbeat while working out.

DeRosa, who has had the problem before, was alert and sitting up in the ambulance after being taken off on a stretcher. The Cubs continued their workouts after DeRosa left and likely won't comment until their done for the day.
Source: Chicago Tribune

DeRosa taken to hospital
By Paul Sullivan, 1:33 p.m.

MESA, Ariz. -- Mark DeRosa was taken to a local hospital during Saturday’s practice after apparently suffering an irregular heartbeat while working out.

Paramedics arrived at Fitch Park shortly after noon Arizona time. DeRosa was placed on a stretcher and left in an ambulance around 12:25 p.m.

DeRosa, who has previously experienced irregular heartbeats, was alert and sitting up when he left. The Cubs are finishing up practice now and we’ll have more as soon as it’s available.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 3:56 pm
MVP

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBenjamin View Post
Mark DeRosa-2B-Cubs Feb. 23 - 3:07 pm et

Mark DeRosa was taken to a local hospital during Saturday’s practice after apparently suffering an irregular heartbeat while working out.

DeRosa, who has had the problem before, was alert and sitting up in the ambulance after being taken off on a stretcher. The Cubs continued their workouts after DeRosa left and likely won't comment until their done for the day.

DeRosa taken to hospital
By Paul Sullivan, 1:33 p.m.

MESA, Ariz. -- Mark DeRosa was taken to a local hospital during Saturday’s practice after apparently suffering an irregular heartbeat while working out.

Paramedics arrived at Fitch Park shortly after noon Arizona time. DeRosa was placed on a stretcher and left in an ambulance around 12:25 p.m.

DeRosa, who has previously experienced irregular heartbeats, was alert and sitting up when he left. The Cubs are finishing up practice now and we’ll have more as soon as it’s available.
Oh DeRo,I pray that he is O.K.,they said he had this before,this is news to me,I never knew that.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 4:04 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

probally before (which means before his Cub life...... which does span close to 30 years)
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 4:09 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

maybe.... and this could be concidered a stretch, but maybe Hendry knew about this condition, and thats the real reason he was (and still is) trying to trade for Roberts.

btw the O's are sending scouts to watch the Cubs camp
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 4:18 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

but that being said, matters of the heart are to be taken seriously. I pray to God that he is alright.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 5:14 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

UPDATE

Mark DeRosa, who left in an ambulance after suffering an irregular heartbeat Saturday, was taken to the hospital for precautionary reasons only, the Cubs said.

"Mark is doing fine," manager Lou Piniella said. "He came in with a rapid heartbeat from doing things on the field and (was) having a little trouble breathing. So they called in the medical team. He's completely stable. Better to be safe than sorry with an irregular heartbeat, so they sent him to the hospital for testing. But he's fine."

DeRosa update: 'Mark is doing fine'
By Paul Sullivan, 2:18 p.m.

MESA, Ariz. -- Mark DeRosa was taken to a local hospital during Saturday's practice with an irregular heartbeat, but the Cubs said it was for "precautionary reasons" only.

"Mark is doing fine," manager Lou Piniella said. "He came in with a rapid heartbeat from doing things on the field and (was) having a little trouble breathing. So they called in the medical team.

"He's completely stable. Better to be safe than sorry with an irregular heartbeat, so they sent him to the hospital for testing. But he's fine."

Paramedics arrived at Fitch Park shortly after noon, and DeRosa was hooked up to an EKG machine, placed on a stretcher and taken away in an ambulance around 12:25 p.m.

DeRosa, who has experienced irregular heartbeats in the past, was alert and sitting upright when he left.

"He's had this before and he's been able to modify it with breathing exercises," Piniella said. "But today it didn't go away. … I talked to him. He was a little nervous, but outside that, he's OK."

DeRosa, who turns 33 on Wednesday, was taking grounders during infield practice when he began to feel shortness of breath, shortstop Ryan Theriot said.

"We all have it to a certain degree, the rapid heartbeat type of thing," Theriot said. "They did an EKG here and brought him over for precautionary reasons just to make sure everything was all right. It's something he's been dealing with since he was a little bitty dude.

"Personally, that's one of those things that just scares you. I've had the same scare a time or two in my life."

DeRosa was able to walk back to the complex, but immediately sat down as the Cubs training staff called the paramedics.

"He was fine throughout the whole thing," Theriot said. "I think it was just one of those deals, more scared than anything. … I know he was joking around inside (the complex) before he left. Once he got out from the field, he was much better."

Last June, DeRosa suffered from an ocular migraine in Texas and lost partial vision in his left eye and had to be removed from a game. He had not experienced any heart problems while with the Cubs before Saturday.

Cubs general manager Jim Hendry suffered from an irregular heartbeat during the winter meetings in December 2006 and signed free agent Ted Lilly while hooked up to an EKG machine. Hendry eventually became more health conscious and has not experienced any problems since.

Piniella said he didn't know when DeRosa would get back on the field.

"It's scary," Piniella said. "Any time that it has something to do with the heart, obviously you worry about it. But look, everyone was pretty well assured that he's going to be just fine."
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 5:25 pm
MVP

My Mood:
It can be scary, but it is nothing to be too worried about. He just needs to monitor it. You never know when they may come, and can be a problem when they occur. But when it starts beating normally again it's like nothing ever happened.

I have a heart condition and i get irregular beats all the time.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 5:51 pm
MVP

My Mood:

Send a message via AIM to HOLYCOW!25
I've even had things like this happen to me, so I don't think it's all that serious. I've even learned some of the breathing techniques they talked about on the Cubs.com article about it. But it can get scary when you can't get it to stop beating fast so I know where DeRo is coming from there, but this shouldn't be anything serious. I wouldn't be surprised if he's back to practice tomorrow.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 6:57 pm
MVP

My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to BigZ38
Good to hear he's going to be OK.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 6:58 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Glad to hear it's nothing serious

Didn't he have some wierd vision problem last year that held him out of a couple games??