fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > Cubs Baseball > Game Threads
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Sep 25th 2007, 8:11 am

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ryno4ever
9/25 CHC@FLA, 6:05 p.m.; TV: WCIU; Radio: WGN

Time for the Cubs' final road trip of the regular season, and time to flaunt that "swagger" that manager Lou Piniella has talked about.
"We know what's at stake, we know the importance of this last week and keeping everybody healthy and hopefully it will pan out for us," Cubs outfielder Cliff Floyd said.

The Cubs head into the final six games of the regular season with a 3 1/2-game lead in the National League Central over the Milwaukee Brewers, their largest cushion of the year. The Brewers finish with a seven-game homestand against St. Louis and San Diego.

"We're playing good, but we still can't get ahead of ourselves," Chicago's Derrek Lee said. "We've still got six big games to go, so we just continue playing like we're playing, and things will work out."

The road has been relatively kind to the Cubs, who are the only NL Central team with a winning record away from home at 39-36. They will play three at Florida, starting Tuesday, and three at Cincinnati.

"They have a very good team and play very well at home," Alfonso Soriano said of the Marlins. "We have to continue to win and play like we're playing now."

The Cubs have won 11 of their last 14 games, and are very different from the club the Marlins faced in late May at Wrigley Field. Florida swept a three-game series in Chicago May 28-30, with Sean Marshall, Jason Marquis and Ted Lilly taking the losses. After that series, the Cubs were in third place and six games out with a 22-29 record.

Now 83-73 and a season-high 10 games over .500, the Cubs can only hope to wrap things up before arriving in Cincinnati Friday. They are 7-8 against the Reds, and won the most recent series Sept. 17-19 at Wrigley.

"The road scares me," Floyd said. "You're playing teams that can hit in their ballpark, in their environment. They're getting home cooked meals, they're relaxing in their stadium, and it kind of scares me.

"I know the Marlins team, and there aren't a lot of fans down there and not a lot to shoot for in terms of winning this thing, but they have some good players who I know would love to spoil it for us," Floyd said.

The Cubs' pitching has been fairly consistent, and there were some questions about the offense before the weekend outburst against the Pittsburgh Pirates. Chicago has clubbed 38 homers in September, tying the franchise record for the month set in 2004. Ten of those came in the three-game sweep of Pittsburgh.

"We've been playing good baseball for a long time after a slow start," Piniella said. "I felt all along that in September, we'd get hot and we have. Let me tell you this, we still have some work to do. This is a tough little trip to south Florida and then to Cincinnati. They're two teams that are playing well and scoring runs, and we just have to take care of business."

Remember a year ago? The Cubs were out of the race, rumors were swirling about manager Dusty Baker's status, and there lots of empty seats at Wrigley Field. Not this September.

"You come to the park, and you try to go through your normal day and wake up and have breakfast, but everything's different," Floyd said. "You leave a little early to get to the park. You may not take care of business things you need to take care of, because you know you've got things to take care of at the park."

Is it more pressure packed or fun?

"It's fun," Floyd said. "It's a lot of fun. I wouldn't say 'pressure.' If anything, I'd say there's anxiety, and you have a little more anxiety than you would normally have. After the first pitch, after the first out, you relax a little bit. Anticipation is what gets you. Once you get into the game, everything calms down."

Floyd has played in the postseason in 1997 with the Florida Marlins and in 2006 with the New York Mets. He's the first to admit he feels a little anxious but it's a good feeling.

"Everybody's anticipating us winning this thing," he said. "They probably have more anxiety than us players. Hopefully we can eliminate some of that and play some games so we can have a cushion at the end so everybody can relax and have a beer and chill out."

Cubs at Florida: The Marlins swept the series in May at Wrigley Field, and the losses were so bad that the Cubs held a players-only meeting before the May 30 game. "I don't think we're playing the way we should," Aramis Ramirez said at the time. The Marlins won the first game, 5-3; and the second game, 9-4, in what Piniella said "might be our worst game of the year." They then took the series finale, 9-0.

The low points in the series included bad baserunning, poor relief pitching and a lack of clutch hitting. Chicago will see two lefties this week, but after facing three in a row against Pittsburgh, the Cubs are now 6-1 this month, and 9-3 since Aug. 16.

Player to watch
Miguel Olivo has three homers in eight career at-bats against Lilly, and Dan Uggla has gone deep twice in three at-bats against the lefty.

Game 1, Tuesday: LHP Ted Lilly (15-7, 3.78 ERA) vs. LHP Dontrelle Willis (9-15, 5.32 ERA)
Lilly vs. Florida: 0-1, 6.43 ERA in 2007.
Willis vs. Cubs: 1-0, 5.14 ERA in 2007.
Cubs vs. LHP: 19-22.
Keep an eye on: Alfonso Soriano is batting .307 (31-for-101) this month, with 12 homers and 22 RBIs. Can he keep up the pace? Soriano is 8-for-17 lifetime against Willis with one homer and two doubles.
Old Sep 25th 2007, 10:30 am

My Mood:

Send a message via ICQ to VanMan Send a message via AIM to VanMan Send a message via MSN to VanMan Send a message via Yahoo to VanMan Send a message via Skype™ to VanMan
I may or may not do a PBP tonight, since the game is on WCIU, but I'll be listening to the game on the radio. <Stephen A. Smith> How-ev-uh, </Steven A. Smith> I'll probably be playing Halo 3 at the same time. If I'm doing campaign, I may pause when something happens and post. If I'm in multiplayer, then I probably won't be available.
Old Sep 25th 2007, 4:16 pm

My Mood:
Okay, your starting lineups for tonight's game:

For the Cubs

Soriano
DeRosa
Lee
Ramirez
Murton
Soto
Monroe
Theriot
Lilly

For the Marlins

H. Ramirez
Uggla
Hermida
Cabrera
Jacobs
Olivo
Linden
Carroll
Willis
Old Sep 25th 2007, 4:20 pm
All-Star

My Mood:
It doesn't make sense that the Marlins are not better. They have a pretty good lineup.
Old Sep 25th 2007, 4:21 pm

My Mood:
Press Pass Notes:

Winners of 10 of their last 12 games to improve to a season-high 10 games over .500, the Chicago Cubs tonight begin their final road trip of the season with the first of 3 games in Florida…the trip and regular season concludes with a 3-game set this weekend in Cincinnati.

The Cubs arrive in South Florida with a 4-game winning streak and on the heels of a 5-1 homestand against Cincinnati (2-1) and Pittsburgh (3-0)…the Cubs and Marlins tonight play each other in Florida for the first time in 2007, a mere 157 games into the season.
At 83-73, the Cubs are 10 games above .500 for the first time this season…prior to now, the Cubs had not been at least 10 games over .500 since the end of the 2003 campaign (89-73).

FIRST THINGS FIRST: The Cubs begin the day in sole possession of first place in the National League Central, 3.0 games ahead of the Brewers…the Cubs led by 3.5 games into yesterday’s off day, the club’s largest lead of the season.
The Cubs have spent 37 of the last 39 days in first place, either with sole possession (29 days) or in a tie (8 days)…the Cubs have owned or shared first place for a total of 39 days in 2007.

The Cubs are in first place in the N.L. Central as late as September 25 for the first time since winning the division in 2003, the team’s most recent appearance in the postseason.

SURGING IN SEPTEMBER: The Cubs are now 15-8 in the month of September, tied with the Indians, Rockies and Yankees for the most wins by any club this month.

20/20 VISION: Through 156 games this season, the Cubs possess an 83-73 record – a 20-game turnaround when compared to the 63-93 record the club had through 156 games in 2006 (and 63-94 through 157)…now in first place in the N.L. Central, Chicago found itself in last place and 19.5 games back of the division leader this time last year.

GOING BATTY: The Cubs recorded at least 14 hits in each of the 3 games against the Pirates last weekend (16-15-14)…the Cubs have now posted at least 14 hits in 3-straight games for the first time since July 5-7, 2001 (15-21-14).

ON THE ROAD AGAIN: The Cubs play their final 6 games of the regular season on the road, ending the campaign away from Wrigley for the first time since 2005…at 39-36 away from Wrigley this season, the Cubs are the only N.L. Central team above .500 on the road and the only club within the division with a chance to post a winning record on the road this season

THERE’S A LOT LEFT: The Cubs tonight face their fourth left-handed pitcher in a row after last weekend sweeping Pittsburgh’s southpaw triumvirate of Paul Maholm, Zach Duke and Tom Gorzelanny.

The Cubs are 6-1 against left-handed starters this month and have gone 9-3 against lefty starters dating to August 16…the Cubs lost 8 of 10 games against left-handed starters from July 4-August 15.
Opposing left-handed starters have gone 1-5 with a 7.31 ERA (26 ER/32.0 IP) in 6 starts against the Cubs in September.

CLOSE CALLS: The Cubs are 21-10 (.677) in their last 31 games decided by one run after starting the season just 2-12 (.143) in those contests through May 27…Chicago is 23-22 (.511) in one-run games in 2007.
Old Sep 25th 2007, 4:22 pm

My Mood:
HOME SWEET HOME: The Cubs wrapped up their 81-game slate at Wrigley Field 44-37, the club’s first winning record at home since going 45-37 at the Friendly Confines in 2004 (extra home game due to weather in Florida)…the Cubs began the season 10-17 in their first 27 games at home before going 34-20 in their final 54 regular season home contests.

The Cubs this year established a single-season attendance record at Wrigley Field with 3,252,642 fans, soaring past the previous mark of 3,170,184 set in 2004…this year’s total at Wrigley also represents the largest single-season attendance mark ever for any franchise or venue in Chicago.

START ME UP: Ted Lilly tonight takes aim at his career-high 16th win, as he has already matched his 2006 career high…Carlos Zambrano has a career-high 17 wins and Rich Hill has a career high 10 wins…Jason Marquis checks in strong with 12 wins.
The Cubs last had four pitchers with 10 or more wins in 2003 with Mark Prior (18), Matt Clement (14), Kerry Wood (14) and Carlos Zambrano (13).

THIS IS ON THE RECORD
The Cubs own the best record in the National League during the last 111 days starting June 3 with a 61-42 mark…Colorado is the next closest N.L. team in that span.

BEST RECORD IN MAJORS, STARTING JUNE 3
Team Rec. Pct.
1. Yankees 67-36 .650
2. CUBS 61-42 .592
3. Rockies 58-42 .580
4. Indians 58-43 .574
Phillies 56-43 .574

CUBS RECORD
2007 Overall: .............................................83-73
At Wrigley Field: .....................................44-37
On the Road: .........................................39-36
All-Time Since 1876: .........................9,983-9,455
At Wrigley Field (since 1916): .........3,822-3,373

CUBS VS. MARLINS
The Cubs, in the final week of the 2007 regular season, make their first and only trip to South Florida this year for a 3-game set to cap the 6-game season series…earlier this season, the clubs met Memorial Day week at Wrigley Field with the Marlins securing a 3-game sweep…the last 2 series between the Cubs and Marlins in Florida have resulted in sweeps, with the Marlins taking 3 games here in 2006 and the Cubs sweeping 3 games here in 2005.

2007 Overall: .................................................. 0-3
At Wrigley Field: ..........................................0-3
At Dolphin Stadium: .....................................0-0
2006 Overall: .................................................. 2-4
At Wrigley Field: ..........................................2-1
At Dolphin Stadium: .....................................0-3
All-Time: .................................................. ....61-63
At Wrigley Field: ......................................33-33
At Dolphin Stadium: .................................28-30

UPCOMING MILESTONES
Milestone...................Player (Number Needed)
74 RBI#.........................................Mark DeRosa (2)
900 Runs.......................................Jason Kendall (4)
# To tie his career high of 74 RBI done last seasonwith the Texas Rangers

N.L. CENTRAL STANDINGS SINCE JUNE 23
Team Rec. GB
1. CUBS 50-34 ---
2. Cincinnati 42-40 -7.0
3. St. Louis 41-45 -10.0
4. Milwaukee 38-45 -11.5
5. Houston 37-46 -12.5
. Pittsburgh 35-48 -14.5

SOMETIMES IT’S HOW YOU START
The Cubs are 19-4-3 in series when winning the first game of a set … Chicago is 5-18-2 when losing the first game of a series.

LEFT VS. RIGHT
The Cubs are 64-51 (.557) against right-handed starting pitchers this season compared to a 19-22 record (.463) against left-handers … Chicago owns a .274 batting average against right-handed pitching and a .268 average against southpaws.

“6” IS THE MAGIC NUMBER
When Chicago’s starting pitchers have gone at least 6.0 innings in a game this season, the club has gone 63-33 (.656) compared to the 20-40 mark (.333) produced when Cubs starters fail to toss at least 6.0 innings…in 79 quality starts this season, Cubs starters have gone 54-9 with a 1.81 ERA (110 ER/546.0 IP) while the club is 59-20 in those outings.

CLIMBING THE CHARTS
Cubs manager Lou Piniella won his 1,600th career game as a big league manager last Friday, surpassing Tommy Lasorda (1,599)…Sunday’s win moved Lou into a tie for 15th place on the all-time win list with Fred Clarke.
Old Sep 25th 2007, 4:24 pm

My Mood:
About Lilly

Ted, looking for his career-high 16th win of the season, joined the Cubs after signing a four-year deal with the club December 15, 2006 … originally selected by the Los Angeles Dodgers in the 23rd round of the 1996 Draft, he’s in his ninth major league season … has also pitched for Montreal (1999), the Yankees (2000-2002), Oakland (2002-2003) and Toronto (2004-2006)

His 15 wins this season tie his career high (done in 2006) and are the most by a Cubs lefthander since Greg Hibbard won 15 games in 1993 … looking to become the first Cubs lefty to win 16 in a season since Ken Holtzman won 17 games in 1970.
Put together a career-high, 7-game winning streak June 15-July 25, surpassing his previous high of 6 games … put up a 2.77 ERA (17 ER/55.1 IP) with 39 strikeouts and 16 walks during that span.
Struck out Houston’s Hunter Pence in the third inning July 14 for his 900th career strikeout.
Has tossed 6.0 or more innings in 108 career starts, going 63-24 with a 2.66 ERA (215 ER/726.2 IP).
With his 10th victory of the season on July 19, Ted has recorded 10 or more wins in five consecutive seasons (2003-2007).
Graduated from Yosemite High School … attended Fresno City College in California.

Last Time Out
Toeing-the-rubber on 3 days rest, allowed just 2 runs in 7.0 innings of work in the Cubs’ 3-2 victory September 19 vs. Cincinnati … allowed solo homers to Edwin Encarnacion in the second and Adam Dunn in the fourth … walked 1 and struck out 8 … did not receive a decision despite the quality start.
2007 Season
Lilly has tossed a career-high 200.0 innings this season and needs one strikeout to surpass his career high of 168, done in 2004 … produced quality starts in his first 5 outings this season making him the first pitcher to toss quality starts in his first 5 outings as a Cub since Mike Harkey did it 6 straight times in 1988-1990.

Is 4-1 with a 2.06 ERA (9 ER/39.1 IP) in his last 6 road starts dating to July 2.
Club has won his last 5 starts dating to August 30 vs. Milwaukee.
His 17 career victories in September are his most for any month.
Leads the club with 20 quality starts in 32 outings this season … has pitched into the sixth inning in 25 of his 32 starts this season.
Is 9-1 with a 3.71 ERA (44 ER/106.2 IP) in 17 starts following a Cubs loss.
Went 4-0 with a 1.65 ERA (5 ER/27.1 IP) in 4 road starts, July 2-August 9.
Went 7-0 with a 2.77 ERA (17 ER/55.1 IP) over 8 starts June 15-July 25, marking a career-high winning streak as well the team’s season high.
Went 5-1 with a 2.52 ERA (11 ER/39.1 IP) in 6 July starts … the 5 wins in a single month established a career high.
Had a career-best, 4-game hitting streak July 7-July 25, driving in 3 runs in that span.
Club has scored 103 runs over his last 19 starts while he’s been on the mound (5.42 runs per start).
Was 3-0 with a 3.72 ERA (16 ER/38.2 IP) in 6 starts from April 25-May 25.
Is 9-5 with a 3.87 ERA (53 ER/123.1 IP) in 19 Wrigley Field starts, compared to a 6-2 mark with a 3.64 ERA (31 ER/76.2 IP) in 13 road games.

Notable Starts

Spun a gem in his Cubs debut, earning the victory in a 4-1 Cubs win April 4 in Cincinnati.
Picked up his third win of the season in the Cubs 4-1 victory May 13 at Philadelphia … worked a season-high 8.0 innings allowing just 1 run to score on 3 hits, walking 1 and striking out 6 batters.
Notched his fifth win of the season, going 8.0 innings for the second time this season, June 15 vs. San Diego … allowed 1 run on 6 hits and 1 walk while striking out 3 in the Cubs 4-1 victory.
Allowed just 1 run in 7.0 innings of work in Chicago’s 7-2 win in Washington July 2 … gave up just 3 hits and 3 walks while striking out 5 en route to his second straight win.
Won his 10th game of the season July 19 vs. San Francisco for his sixth straight victory … worked 5.0 innings, allowing 3 runs on 6 hits while walking 1 and striking out 1 in the Cubs’ 9-8 victory.
Earned his career-high seventh straight winning decision in a 7-1 victory at St. Louis July 25 … allowed 1 run on 6 hits and 3 walks while striking out 2 in 7.0 innings of work.
Picked up his 12th win of the season August 4 at home against the Mets … worked 7.2 innings and allowed just 2 runs to score on a pair of home runs from Moises Alou … allowed 7 hits, striking out 8 and walking just 1 batter.
Won his 13th decision August 9 at Colorado, tossing 6.0 innings while allowing 2 runs on 5 hits and 5 walks while striking out 5 in the Cubs’ 10-2 victory.
Did not receive a decision in the Cubs 5-4 victory over the Brewers August 30 at Wrigley Field … he allowed 3 runs on 5 hits and 4 walks while striking out 6 in 5.0 innings of work … allowed the first 2 batters faced to score, but settled down to limit Milwaukee to just 2 hits over the next 4.0 innings.
Snapped a 4-game winless streak in the Cubs 8-2 victory vs. Los Angeles September 5 … tossed 6.2 innings, allowing 2 earned runs on 6 hits and 1 walk while striking out 3.
Won his 15th game of the season September 10 vs. St. Louis, allowing 3 runs in 7.0 innings of work in Chicago’s 12-3 victory … walked none and struck out 7 while surrendering 3 or less runs in his fourth straight start.
Old Sep 25th 2007, 4:25 pm

My Mood:
Lilly vs. Florida

Career: 0-3, 5.16 ERA (13 ER/22.2 IP) in 4 starts

2007: 0-1, 6.43 (5 ER/7.0 IP) in 1 start

Vs. Marlins Batters (AVG-AB-H-HR-RBI): Reggie Abercrombie (.250-4-1-0-0) … Alfredo Amezaga (.00-3-0-0-0) … Miguel Cabrera (.333-3-1-0-0) … Jeremy Hermida (.333-3-1-0-0) … Todd Linden (.000-1-0-0-0) … Miguel Olivo (.500-8-4-3-7) … Hanley Ramirez (.000-4-0-0-0) … Dan Uggla (.667-3-2-2-4) … Josh Willingham (.000-2-0-0-0)
Old Sep 25th 2007, 4:26 pm

My Mood:
Cubs vs. Florida LHP Dontrelle Willis

BATTER (AVG-AB-H-HR-RBI): Henry Blanco (.000-1-0-0-0) … Ronny Cedeno (.000-5-0-0-0) … Mark DeRosa (.500-10-5-1-2) … Cliff Floyd (.167-18-3-0-0) … Jacque Jones (.000-2-0-0-0) …
Jason Kendall (.444-9-4-0-1) … Derrek Lee (.300-10-3-1-2) … Craig Monroe (.000-3-0-0-0) … Matt Murton (.571-7-4-0-2) … Aramis Ramirez (.143-14-2-0-2) …
Alfonso Soriano (.471-17-8-2-1-1) … Ryan Theriot (1.000-1-1-1-2)
Old Sep 25th 2007, 4:30 pm
All-Star

My Mood:
This is one hell of a stat. Imagine if April and May would not have been so bad.

Quote:
N.L. CENTRAL STANDINGS SINCE JUNE 23
Team Rec. GB
1. CUBS 50-34 ---
2. Cincinnati 42-40 -7.0
3. St. Louis 41-45 -10.0
4. Milwaukee 38-45 -11.5
5. Houston 37-46 -12.5
. Pittsburgh 35-48 -14.5