fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > Cubs Baseball > The Bleachers
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Jul 2nd 2007, 10:52 am
MVP

My Mood:

Carlos Marmol for closer

I know theres talk about Marmol moving to the closers spot, and I agree 100%. There are 2 questions I have. 1. Does he have the mental ability? (I think he does but I don't know) and 2. What does Dempster do? (He is not going to be traded and he is not much of a setup pitcher and is not a starter). We all watched the games this weekend and I must say, Marmol has some really nasty movement on every pitch he throws. I have never in 15 years, seen a home grown Cubs relief pitcher throw as hard and with that much movement. He has had better control as of late, and I think Lou is really considering him for the closers spot. Eyre is a modern masterpiece and is pretty much the mop-up man. I like the way the bullpen is looking from here on out.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 2:44 pm
Rookie

I question if Marmol has a "closer's mentality" too. I'm actually surprised that the Cubs haven't used Dempster's trip to the DL to find out if he does. I say give him a shot and see what he does. If he's bad, Dempster (who has been fairly solid) will be back. But the kid does have some nasty stuff when he's in the pen.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 2:59 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

I thought we would see him get a shot there, but Lou kind of played his hand in the Rockies series when he took Marmol out to bring in Ohman for Helton. His stuff is electric, but Lou again had somebody warming up yesterday just in case. I dont think we will see him there for good until next year maybe. If Lou wanted him to close, I think he would have put somebody else in yesterday for the 8th inning. Instead he pitched 2 innings. He may be unavailable tonight. I hope not though- I think it was huge showing Pinella that he could get good LHs out- Fielder.
All outs count the same but they say that the last 3 are the toughest and maybe in some ways they are.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 3:07 pm

My Mood:

Send a message via ICQ to VanMan Send a message via AIM to VanMan Send a message via MSN to VanMan Send a message via Yahoo to VanMan Send a message via Skype™ to VanMan
Well, Marmol did do a two-inning "close" during yesterday's game, though it wasn't a save (as he wasn't pitching for three innings or have the tying run on deck when he came on, nor did he have a three-run lead with one inning to go). I think he might have a closer's mentality. He might actually become a Rivera-type. As you may recall, Rivera was the Yankees' set-up man while John Wetteland was the closer for two years. Marmol might be Dempster's set-up man to learn a closer's mentality.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 3:17 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

No doubt Van, one thing about a closer- they have to want the ball. There is no doubt in my mind that Marmol thinks he can get everyone out. He showed some emotion when Lou took him out of the Rockies game, before Helton batted. Some would say that was selfish, but to me it showed he thought he could get the job done. I like him as the eighth inning guy for now. I said once before I always thought Lidge and Dotel were tougher than Wagner to hit. Neither has had anywhere near the success Wagner has had finishing games. I think the mind set thing does play a factor. We all remember Latroy Hawkins and his 1.81 ERA as a set up man. When he became a closer, he failed. Im not saying that will happen to Marmol. Mel Rojas was another.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 4:37 pm
MVP

My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to BigZ38
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanMan View Post
Well, Marmol did do a two-inning "close" during yesterday's game, though it wasn't a save (as he wasn't pitching for three innings or have the tying run on deck when he came on, nor did he have a three-run lead with one inning to go). I think he might have a closer's mentality. He might actually become a Rivera-type. As you may recall, Rivera was the Yankees' set-up man while John Wetteland was the closer for two years. Marmol might be Dempster's set-up man to learn a closer's mentality.
Rivera....I don't see the simalarities there as I do with K-Rod. Marmol has an above average fastball but he wouldn't be able to dominate with it like Rivera can. His fastball and breaking ball remind me so much of K-Rod though.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 4:54 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

I dont mean to speak for Van , BigZ, but I think he meant that their careers are following similar paths. Both came up as starters and then moved to the pen. Before Rivera was a closer he used to set up games for Wettland. I may be wrong but I think he was saying that about Marmol. Use him as a set up man for a year or 2. You are right though about KROD. I first noticed it when the Cubs were in Texas a couple of weeks ago. They both- Marmol and Krod- wind up quick and are fast to the plate. Both have good heat with a very good slider. Krods slider is probably a little bit better at this point, but Marmol's is not far behind. I like the word electric when describing their stuff. That was the word used when Krod came onto the scene in the Yankee playoff series a few years ago.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 6:25 pm

My Mood:

Send a message via ICQ to VanMan Send a message via AIM to VanMan Send a message via MSN to VanMan Send a message via Yahoo to VanMan Send a message via Skype™ to VanMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIPPER 11 View Post
I dont mean to speak for Van , BigZ, but I think he meant that their careers are following similar paths. Both came up as starters and then moved to the pen. Before Rivera was a closer he used to set up games for Wettland. I may be wrong but I think he was saying that about Marmol. Use him as a set up man for a year or 2. You are right though about KROD. I first noticed it when the Cubs were in Texas a couple of weeks ago. They both- Marmol and Krod- wind up quick and are fast to the plate. Both have good heat with a very good slider. Krods slider is probably a little bit better at this point, but Marmol's is not far behind. I like the word electric when describing their stuff. That was the word used when Krod came onto the scene in the Yankee playoff series a few years ago.
That was EXACTLY what I was intimating.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 10:19 pm
MVP

My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to BigZ38
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanMan View Post
That was EXACTLY what I was intimating.
Now I understand what you meant. But his body langauge and everything about him reminds me of K-Rod.
Sponsored Links