fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > Cubs Baseball > The Bleachers
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old May 21st 2009, 6:23 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Cubs offense slumbers on as pitchers pitch great

How quickly things change in the world of the Chicago Cubs. Only a few days ago, I wrote about how the Cubs offense had finally decide to wake up. Well, if these last two days are any indication, I could not have been more wrong. The offense is just as bad as ever, and this series with the St. Louis Cardinals is exposing our “high powered offense”. Our starting pitchers have been doing great, and keeping our boys in blue I the game. As good as they are doing, however, they are not doing enough. Right now, they must be thinking the only way to win is to throw a shutout every night. We all know that will not happen, so the offense needs to pick things up immediately. Speaking of starting pitching, Jake Peavy was almost traded to Chicago once again.

As much as I hate to admit this, the Cardinals have gotten the upper hand on us. Their starting pitchers, Joel Pineiro and the returning Chris Carpenter limited the Cubs to a single run in two games. The first game might have been the most pitiful display of offense I have seen in a long time. Pineiro threw just 92 pitches in a complete game shutout. The Cubs showed a complete lack of patience swinging early and often. In the middle innings, Pineiro recorded five outs with just seven pitches. I can understand a pitcher being on his game, but five outs on seven pitches is inexcusable. To top things off, the Cubs only recorded three hits. The pitching for the Cubs was not the problem, as Ted Lilly only allowed the Cardinals to score three runs in his seven innings of work. He was shaky for parts of the game, but did enough to keep his team in contention. Kevin Gregg pitched a scoreless eighth inning, rebounding from the awful game against the Houston Astros where he allowed four runs without recording an out.

Sadly, the second game of this series did not go much better for the Cubs as Carpenter made his first start in over a month shut our offense down for the second straight game. While Carpenter only went five innings in his return, he only gave up three hits without allowing a run to score. When he left, the Cardinals bullpen picked up right where he left off, pitching four innings of three hit ball, with the only run coming off their closer Ryan Franklin. Much like with Lilly, Ryan Dempster pitched well enough to keep the Cubs in the game, allowing only two runs to score in his seven innings of work. The bottom of the eighth inning was handled by Carlos Marmol, who kept the Cubs in the game. However, once again, the Cubs offense was held in check when they were only able to score a single run.

Tonight, things will not be any easier as Adam Wainwright takes the mound for the Cardinals; while the Cubs will counter with Sean Marshall. The pitching match up alone seems a bit lopsided, but you never know, Marshall just may pitch a gem. The problem is, even if he does pitch well enough to keep the Cubs in the game, the offense needs to show up. Otherwise, no matter how Marshall does tonight, the Cubs will likely face being swept for the first time this season. I can not predict what is going to happen, but the odds are against us tonight. Lets hope that I am wrong again.

Well, the hunt for Peavy continues as teams are starting to make proposals to the San Diego Padres. Today, the Chicago White Sox took a stab at acquiring him by offering up for players, which included Clayton Richard and Aaron Poreda and two others. From what the Chicago Sun Times is reporting, Peavy may have vetoes the trade due to the White Sox refusal to pick up the $22 million option that he has waiting for him in 2013. Not that I can really blame him for refusing the trade, $22 million is a lot of money to give up, but why stay in a place that doesn’t want you around anymore. I know he wants to stay in the National League, preferably in the Midwest according to sources, but he may not get what he wants. With the news breaking this morning about the possible trade, we also learned that his top two teams are the Cubs followed by the Milwaukee Brewers. Both teams are in the National League, both are in the Midwest, and both present an opportunity to win. If the Cubs General Manager Jim Hendry was smart, he would try talking to the Padres and try to work out a deal again. Now that he knows what other teams are offering, he likely will have a better gauge on what he would have to send their way. The only road block would be that $22 million option, which would be hard for the Cubs to approve, with their ownership situation still in limbo. I will not get into that now, nor will I since I do not know all the details.

Making a deal for Peavy would solve many problems at the same time. With Carlos Zambrano coming back on Friday against the Padres, either Marshall or Randy Wells will head to the bullpen kicking Neal Cotts or David Patton out. That improves the bullpen, but so would adding another start quality pitcher. If Peavy comes to the Cubs (or another top of the rotation pitcher), then who ever stayed in the rotation with Zambrano’s return would also go into the bullpen. By adding to the starting rotation, the Cubs also improve their bullpen, killing two birds with one stone. On top of that, they would be keeping him away from the Brewers, which would be a great help to us as well.

While the Cubs working a trade at this moment in time is pointless, I can dream cant I? However pitching is the least of our concerns, we need help on the offensive side of the ball. Maybe trading for an upgrade at second base or a reliable replacement for Aramis Ramirez at third. Hank Blalock would look very nice right now in a Cubs uniform, but they would have to offer up a lot to get him here. Forget about who gets benched upon Ramirez’s return, lets cross that bridge when we get there. Another name to consider would be Chone Figgins, who is a free agent at seasons end. He would be unlikely though as the Anaheim Angels are unlikely to fall out of contention. As far as second base goes, while Mike Fontenot has been struggling most of the season after a fast start, you may not want to pull the plug on him so quickly. However, if we look close enough, we may be able to find someone who can come in and play a better game. While many fans are calling for a return of Mark DeRosa, the Cubs trying to make a trade to bring him back seems unlikely. Though he would be a nice fit, filling in at third then returning to second base with Ramirez’s return. Unlikely I know, but they may have to do something, and fast if Fontenot does not pick things up fast.

That about covers things, the Cubs need to quickly wake up and start scoring some runs, because they got some great pitching which has gone to waste. Tonight has got to be better, because short of being no hit, things cant get much worse in this series.
Old May 21st 2009, 7:40 pm
MVP

My Mood:
This team may not be as great an offensive team as people think. Especially now with guys like Lee, Soto, and Bradley failing to live up to season's past.

But even still, look at what this team does against good pitching. They can't do anything. They fail at manufacturing runs. "Get on, get em over, and get em in" is not an option as this team shows oooh so often. It's all or nothing with these guys. We are great at destroying sub par pitching, but fail to do the things necessary to beat the tough pitching. Couple that with many defensive gaffes and the lack of hustle, and it is a recipe for mediocrity.
Old May 21st 2009, 10:50 pm
All-Star

My Mood:
I have been reading a lot on here lately, and just not had the time to post, but after watching this offence the past three days i had to get a post up and on here. Confidence is at a all time high, Bradley is letting his emotions rule him, how anxious did he look the other night in the late innings. Swinging at balls that most 'premier hitters' would not even contemplate, then once the AB was over, the bat over the knee. It's like a childrens play pen activities session. No doubt we are struggling, looking down the BA's, you won't find one above .250 after looking past Kosuke Fukudome in the 3 spot. Do we miss Mark DeRosa that much? simple answer is yes, this team doesn't seem to have the same team spirit as we had the last two years, Wood and DeRosa were a big part of that, you don't see them kidding around as much, everything looks tight and regimented where over a 162 game season, things need to be loose and fun.

Bradley, well it's clear that he is poor right now. Lee is showing signs of getting back there, we have a void at 3rd base that is not filled easily. Jake Fox is tearing it up in Iowa, and i know that he is by no means a 3rd baseman, but we are making errors at that position anyway, we might as well have someone who can hit making the errors, contributing on one side of the ball at least.

We wanted to get more left handed sure, and Mark DeRosa was the casualty of that, but did anyone like the deal at the time? I can't remember many people talking in favour of it, and i doubt you will hear anyone now in favour, especially with the current predicament and the need for some cover. Could we possibly trade to get him back? can Jim Hendry swallow pride, and is that even the right move?

The Jake Peavy talk is a little frustrating, I'm not going to say that i don't want him, because who wouldn't want a Cy Young pitcher on there team. Like TB said however, that is the least of our worries. I'm sure we will hear several things over the coming weekend when we are in San Diego. However Jim should be fully concentrated on the offence, or lack of it more appropriately. What can we do to rectify it? do we have the in house solution? I know people are saying, it's A-Ram, it's A-Ram, just wait for him to come back...........I'm afraid that's not happening for over a month, can we really stumble by for a month with a revolving door over there at 3rd? the way the Brewers and Cards are playing, we can't even last another 2 weeks like that. We need someone and we need someone now. If Vitters was a year further into his development we would have the prime player to cover, unfortunately we don't have that. Personally i think that Jim has to tuck his tail between his legs, admit that the move to deal DeRosa was wrong, and do the upmost to get him back. He doesn't just bring offence that is needed, cover that is needed, but he he brings the personality that is so desperately needed.

As far as the bullpen is concerned, Guzman and Ascaino are doing a job, Marmol and Gregg are looking better and Heilman can be effective. Patton might be effective in the future but can we afford to carry him? Yes if we move Marshall to the pen and insert Wells into the rotation, no if we move Wells to the pen. Cotts is a one batter/two hitters max type pitcher, is that real value? i would probably be inclined to say no.

One thing is more damn sure, we need to do something and do it quickly, 2 runs in 3 games is unacceptable.
Old May 22nd 2009, 4:29 am
MVP

My Mood:
No doubt Cubbies10. The boys need something and fast or they could spiral down the standings too far and the pressure could then overwhelm them.

Most people on this board miss Derosa without a doubt. Many on this board considered him our MVP last year. Although he is struggling this year with his new team, he is an established veteran and i think he is sorely missed around here.

And Bradley, well last night he hit the ball good in his last 3 at bats and got nothing to show for it. He actually hit the ball better than anyone in the lineup last night. "Unlucky" was he last night. I think he will come around.
Old May 22nd 2009, 8:20 am

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ryno4ever
This offense is just FLAT! It's very sad because the pitching has been outstanding and really has been overshadowed because of the non-existence of the offense. Lou had even mentioned that they are considering.... as a last resort... to put Soriano back at second and putting Hoffpauir out in left just to be able to get Hoffy's bat in the lineup. I think perhaps they just need to bench Lee a game or two and put Hoffy at first. It doesn't look as if they are even TRYING up there. I know they probably are, but almost get two complete games out of their average pitchers...and have them barely reaching 100 pitches to get the win just shows the guys are pressing horribly at the plate. Something needs to be done to wake this offense up.
Old May 22nd 2009, 8:28 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

They had flat offence spells last year even with the great guru DeRosa. They need to be slapped serious , I may be time to fire Perry. I really don't see where he has fixed anyone's swing.
Old May 22nd 2009, 8:45 am
All-Star

My Mood:
Should the offence be flat this far into the season? i can understand it in early August or late July where they have been playing for some time. Bradley got a little upset because he got a few boos at Wrigley, the guy needs to understand that he is playing in Chicago now, and if you don't perform you will hear it. Rightfully so when you earn $10 mill a year.

At least last year when the offence fell flat, we had character, do these players really seem to believe in each other? when they cut to the dugout, it looks like they are naughty school boys sitting in line ready to face the wrath of the head teacher,

Like the Trib said today, we will get a major bat back in the line-up tonight when Zambrano is back.
Old May 22nd 2009, 12:34 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drockvb View Post
No doubt Cubbies10. The boys need something and fast or they could spiral down the standings too far and the pressure could then overwhelm them.

Most people on this board miss Derosa without a doubt. Many on this board considered him our MVP last year. Although he is struggling this year with his new team, he is an established veteran and i think he is sorely missed around here.

And Bradley, well last night he hit the ball good in his last 3 at bats and got nothing to show for it. He actually hit the ball better than anyone in the lineup last night. "Unlucky" was he last night. I think he will come around.

You couldnt be more correct. Im not a huge Bradley fan but last night he smoked 3 balls with nothing to show for it. Our offense is slumping and our pitching has been really good. Eventhough our starters have pitched well, they have been outpitched. To me in the series vs the Birds - Rasmus was mainly responsible for 2 of their victories. The thing about it he did vs Lh pitching. Lily and Marshall both pitched pretty good but they both let him get a crucial hit off of them by serving him up.