fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > Cubs Baseball > The Bleachers
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Apr 22nd 2010, 6:37 am
Little Leaguer

My Mood:

Z sucks

Zambrano can go away as far as I'm concerned. He's had one good game in 5 years. When he is made to be the ACE of the team, then our staff is no good.Seriously fans, we need to stop being fans of players over being a fan of the team. I'm a Cub fan not a Lee fan or Theriot fan or anyone else. I'm for anyone being traded to make the team better. I firmly believe though, the Cubs will never win as long as they are in Wrigley. They carry around this stigma every year of being the Lovable Losers, no matter what the talent level is. Let's face it, you look at teams that won the World Series in the past and can't believe they did it before the Cubs. You couldn't even name 2 players on their team. FYI, We need a great shortstop and get Theriot back to 2nd base where he belongs so we can have a set infield.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 7:31 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Zambrano can go away as far as I'm concerned. He's had one good game in 5 years. When he is made to be the ACE of the team, then our staff is no good.Seriously fans, we need to stop being fans of players over being a fan of the team. I'm a Cub fan not a Lee fan or Theriot fan or anyone else. I'm for anyone being traded to make the team better. I firmly believe though, the Cubs will never win as long as they are in Wrigley. They carry around this stigma every year of being the Lovable Losers, no matter what the talent level is. Let's face it, you look at teams that won the World Series in the past and can't believe they did it before the Cubs. You couldn't even name 2 players on their team. FYI, We need a great shortstop and get Theriot back to 2nd base where he belongs so we can have a set infield.
Not sure if it's intentional, but thanks for posting this kind of nonsense drivel. This thing is so full of empty cliches it's amazing.

Quote:
Let's face it, you look at teams that won the World Series in the past and can't believe they did it before the Cubs. You couldn't even name 2 players on their team.
I hope this is a joke, or else you really don't pay attention to baseball.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 7:42 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Quote:
FYI, We need a great shortstop and get Theriot back to 2nd base where he belongs so we can have a set infield.
Theriot was ranked in the top five in defencive shortstops last year . Not our most pressing problem.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 8:11 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno4ever View Post
I don't know how much of it was as much the "knee jerk" reaction, but the fact that Lilly is coming off the DL this weekend and they had to do something to make room for him. One of the starters had to move. You aren't going to add another lefty in the penn with Gorzelanney. Demp, perhaps could have but he's been your unofficial "ace"...Wells is another that has been pitching way too well to take out of the rotation. Silva has seemed to have found a comfort zone, although, I wouldn't have minded seeing him in the pen. His true test will be how he pitches against a "good team"...not the Astros or Reds
You have actually just stated several reasons why I think he should not have been the choice to go to the pen.

Lilly is coming off an injury , how sure are we that he will be 100% .

Silva has pitched three games and we are going to ignore his history and assume he is fixed

Gorzelanney has pitched a handful of games and he also does not have a history of being as good You are right we don't need a lefty in the pen but will be nice in our rotation

Wells has a history of pitching out of the pen and has a good power arm with a pitch arsenal more fitting a relief guy. He is cheap , and still a young pitcher who could benefit from late inning out pitching.

Zambrano , with all his failings , has proven to be able to pitch deep and get the job done as a starter. Secondly , his pitching style is not that of a one inning guy. His main out pitch is his sinker. It takes a number of pitches to set it up and establish . So we will either be looking at twenty pitch innings with a walk or two or he will drop that pitch. That will mean he will have to try to bring back his cut fastball which he has dropped for some reason.
We have just took a guy making $19,000,000 a year and dropped the innings he will pitch from 200 to 60 so we are now paying him $ 316,666.66 per inning. He better be damn good at that price.
When has BigZ ever responded well to a pressure situation ?

The only way this makes sense is if this is a discipline issue. Maybe Lou is fed up with him and like Soriano decided to finally manage and call out these players.
It will be an easy way to move him off of number one and move him down to three spot when he comes back. It would be a better rotation of Dempster , Lilly , Bigz , Gorz , Silva and Wells to the pen. Maybe Lou is thinking , put Z in pen for a couple weeks , let him fail , humble him and make him your third starter.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 9:18 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullKey View Post
I'm not sure - give it some time and some thought - see how things work out. He might be back in the rotation by May, who knows. I've often wondered how Zambrano's career might have gone if he had stayed a closer - it was thought he might make a dominant closer when he was young.

At the very least it has crossed my mind that this indicates just how very concerned Piniella and Hendry (and probably Ricketts) are about this club's feeble start. Unbelievably we've got a honest shot at being 10 out by May the way things are going. This team has had it's tail feathers clipped and is in a serious spin!
You may be on something here my friend. I have heard Steve Stone pose this as a possibility too.

btw
Quote:
Believe it or not I was going to make a post that Z should be considered for the bullpen when Lilly comes back, but didn't for fear of ridicle - honestly. It makes certain sense to me.
I don't think most people here would ever do that. I for one , love talking out - of - the - box baseball thinking. Far more entertaining than arguing over a bunch of numbers on a page .
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 9:24 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

I have read a number of post from most of the other posters that you often refer to as stupid and idiots , they have drafted out well thought out ideas and intresting educated motivations and projected outcomes . This is one of the biggest moves in the last two years of Cubs baseball . You offer the world this jewel :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banks View Post
Stop over-reacting....it's not going to last long....

My money is on Gorz being packaged in a trade for a reliever....

Gorz for Jason Frasor....
still waiting ,
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 9:29 am
Veteran

My Mood:

We should gut this team

If we are going to go with building a farm system now is the time to trade anyone for prospects. This team is **** and isn't going anywhere- that should not be a surprise to anyone. It is obvious Lou has lost the plot and he is punishing JH and the Cubs by making moves that send a message. We are a disaster, we need all young players and a new manager. We need to scrap this thing now and not go through another decade long slump. We aren't 3-4 players away we are 5 players away and that is just the rotation. Blow it up!
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 10:20 am
All-Star

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
. I firmly believe though, the Cubs will never win as long as they are in Wrigley.
still trying to figure how this is has anything to do with the struggles...
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 1:34 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeEila's/rant View Post
I have read a number of post from most of the other posters that you often refer to as stupid and idiots , they have drafted out well thought out ideas and intresting educated motivations and projected outcomes . This is one of the biggest moves in the last two years of Cubs baseball . You offer the world this jewel :

still waiting ,
As opposed to your over-reactionary, yelling and screaming, response?

Listen, I understand that baseball isn't your thing... So I'll make this quick...

This is a necessary, temporary move... Carlos Zambrano is not going to the pen for the rest of the season... He's going to the pen for a short time... most likely until a deal occurs...

Why Zambrano? Because of all the Cubs starters, Zambrano is the hardest, and least likely, to be traded...That leaves Dempster, Silva, Gorz, Lilly, and Wells...

Dempster is in a longer contract, and isn't going anywhere...

Lilly is going to be a free-agent after the season, so people may think he's an option to go. But in doing so, the Cubs would be waving the white flag for the season. So Lilly isn't going anywhere(Except maybe at the trade dead-line, if the Cubs fall out of it). Plus, Lilly would be a risk for teams because he's just coming off an injury...

Silva has looked great...but he makes too much money. Silva isn't going anywhere...

Wells is an option... The Cubs could sell high on his success early on in his career...plus, he's cheap.

Gorz is the most likely option...being both cheap, a lefty, and having past success as a starting pitcher.

This is a logical, baseball, breakdown. Something you have never been able to provide. On this topic, you choose to run around like a chicken with his head cut off, over-reacting. Instead of seeing the possible angles behind Zambrano being moved to the pen, you acted like another dumb, Cubs fan.

I'm not saying the Cubs will go the route I've provided...But as a baseball fan, it's a conceivable option...

Fact: Cubs need a reliever
Fact: Cubs have too many starting pitchers
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 2:03 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banks View Post
As opposed to your over-reactionary, yelling and screaming, response?

Listen, I understand that baseball isn't your thing... So I'll make this quick...

This is a necessary, temporary move... Carlos Zambrano is not going to the pen for the rest of the season... He's going to the pen for a short time... most likely until a deal occurs...

Why Zambrano? Because of all the Cubs starters, Zambrano is the hardest, and least likely, to be traded...That leaves Dempster, Silva, Gorz, Lilly, and Wells...

Dempster is in a longer contract, and isn't going anywhere...

Lilly is going to be a free-agent after the season, so people may think he's an option to go. But in doing so, the Cubs would be waving the white flag for the season. So Lilly isn't going anywhere(Except maybe at the trade dead-line, if the Cubs fall out of it). Plus, Lilly would be a risk for teams because he's just coming off an injury...

Silva has looked great...but he makes too much money. Silva isn't going anywhere...
Wells is an option... The Cubs could sell high on his success early on in his career...plus, he's cheap.

Gorz is the most likely option...being both cheap, a lefty, and having past success as a starting pitcher.

This is a logical, baseball, breakdown. Something you have never been able to provide. On this topic, you choose to run around like a chicken with his head cut off, over-reacting. Instead of seeing the possible angles behind Zambrano being moved to the pen, you acted like another dumb, Cubs fan.

I'm not saying the Cubs will go the route I've provided...But as a baseball fan, it's a conceivable option...

Fact: Cubs need a reliever
Fact: Cubs have too many starting pitchers
How is Silva making more money ?

The arguement you made about Silva not going to the pen is the one I made for Z not going.