fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > Cubs Baseball > The Bleachers
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Mar 29th 2011, 7:48 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Ready for opener

Good to be back on here. I havent seen much this spring except for some box scores. I do like the pitching rotation from top to bottom. I did read today that Fukudome will likely be the leadoff hitter. What does this mean for Colvin?? I dont see a whole lot of speed either with exception of Castro. Whats the word on 2b? I noticed DeWitt was hitting about .150 this spring.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 9:57 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIPPER 11 View Post
Good to be back on here. I havent seen much this spring except for some box scores. I do like the pitching rotation from top to bottom. I did read today that Fukudome will likely be the leadoff hitter. What does this mean for Colvin?? I dont see a whole lot of speed either with exception of Castro. Whats the word on 2b? I noticed DeWitt was hitting about .150 this spring.
good questions

2b is anyone's guess. DeWitt hits lefties better than righties for his career.

I think Colvin played himself out a starting RF job with a poor defensive spring, no matter how he hit.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 9:46 pm

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ryno4ever
I'm ready! I'll be sitting behind home plate on Friday, freezing my butt off... but it will be a beautiful day for baseball! I am taking my son with me for his first Opening Day experience. I asked him what he was most looking forward to (he's 11), and it was to hear Kerry Wood get announced! That's my boy! Quade seems to be getting a lot out of these players, as they seem to want to play for him. That, in combination with the early injuries of key players on each of the Reds, Brewers, and Cardinals... these guys HAVE to take advantage of it and come out of the gates strong and have a good April and May. You can't win the division in April/May, but you can certainly lose it!
Old Mar 31st 2011, 5:24 am
All-Star

My Mood:

Have a great time at the game Heather. The only opening day I ever went to was way back in about 1978. Myself and three buddies got standing room only tickets. We started out as a group way out in the last row of the upper deck by the rightfield foulpole. We decided to split up in groups of two to try to get better seats. After getting kicked out of closer seats for the first five innings, my buddy Joe and I scored on some great seats in the first row between the Cubs dugout and bullpen for the rest of the game. That was the game where Willie Smith hit a walkoff homer for a Cubs win.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 8:01 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIPPER 11 View Post
Reed Johnson changed things up for Colvin , Johnson can run. We need speed on the bags to make up for our lack of power. That gets me to DeWitt , I have no idea why he is not down in AAA. They say they are going to try to feed him some grounders at third and hope he can work there ( I don't think he will , he has no insticts ) , wouldn't that work better in the minors everyday ?

They really should have given his position to Bobby Scales , he has good enough feet a good enough bat but , the one thing he would bring is some speed on the bases. He could work as an infield utility guy and a pinch runner,
Old Mar 31st 2011, 8:03 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Quote:
these guys HAVE to take advantage of it and come out of the gates strong and have a good April and May. You can't win the division in April/May, but you can certainly lose it!
Old Mar 31st 2011, 1:11 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Apparently Barney has been named the main 2b. Good for him, apparently he worked out and added alot of muscle in the offseason like Colvin did last year. Hopefully it bumps up his offensive numbers alittle bit.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 1:52 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bockstock View Post
Apparently Barney has been named the main 2b. Good for him, apparently he worked out and added alot of muscle in the offseason like Colvin did last year. Hopefully it bumps up his offensive numbers alittle bit.
Barney is a good call. He will give us some speed. Speed will be critical to this season because I can't see where we can get 200 home runs.

I still keep coming back to Soriano has to run. Not steal but just first to third type speed. Pena did show some speed in the spring but I don't see him getting on base enough with where they are hitting him.

Byrd slow , Ram slow , Soto slow , Baker slow , Colvin slow ,

real speed Barney , Fukudome , Castro

Speed on the bags will give our hitters more fastballs across the plate. So if Sori is hitting in front of Soto or Pena , got to show some speed.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 4:31 pm
Veteran

I believe stolen bases are an underrated skill/platform of production.

I'd love to see the Cubs run some more. Impaticular, I agree with Lee... Fukudome, Barney, Castro and Soriano, should be encouraged to be more aggressive on the base path.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 9:29 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

The Cubs have 3 guys who can be GB heavy at times in Dempster/Wells/Z (and possibly Cashner if you include his minor league numbers). Barney has a reputation as a defensive whiz, so this should save the Cubs a couple of runs.