fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > Cubs Baseball > The Bleachers
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Jun 18th 2011, 11:40 am
Veteran

Moves the Cubs SHOULD look into making

Obviously the Cubs can't make all of these moves...but here are some moves(mostly buy-low moves) I think the Cubs should consider making.

* Trade for Ian Stewart: The Cubs will have a need at 3B, next season(probably)... Ian Stewart is the perfect change of scenary player, and his value is at an all-time low.

* Trade for B.J. Upton: Upton has a ton of talent(both defensively and at the plate), but hasn't lived up to it yet... Plus, the future in CF for Tampa Bay is Desmond Jennings.

* Sign Scott Kazmir: The Angels just released him, so this move can be done soon. Kazmir can be signed cheap, and has the ceiling worth taking a chance on.

* See what Toronto would want for Travis Snyder: Snyder was a top 10 prospect, who's yet to materialize. If there was ever a time to steal this talent away from Toronto, it's now. Sometimes it takes young hitters a little while to "get it"(see Alex Gordon).

* See what Baltimore would want for Nick Markakis: Markakis is being overshadowed by Adam Jones in Baltimore's outfielder. He's a talented all-around player, who has yet to produce consistant power numbers.

Anyone else got any?
Old Jun 20th 2011, 10:06 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

I really like Stewart from watching him play out here in CO, but I think Snider/Upton would be too expensive. I don't know what happened to Snider, his power is WAY down in the PCL this year, only two homers all year. Markaikas is too expensive, and he's got a big contract ($11 million/yr through 2015 I think).

Another guy that could be interesting is Joba Chamberlain. He is over-rated, but still a good pitcher, and it seems the Yanks have soured on him.

I may be thinking alittle bigger here, but if the Mets are seriously into moving Wright, I would jump in on that in a heartbeat with whatever they want.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 10:06 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

I think afterr the trade dead line more options will be there. I still want to see Barney more. Is Aram for sure gone? I love the idea of LH hitters.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 11:54 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIPPER 11 View Post
Is Aram for sure gone?
I believe the Cubs will find a way to trade Aramis, at the deadline, for a solid prospect. The Tigers would seem to be a natural fit.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 11:57 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bockstock View Post
I really like Stewart from watching him play out here in CO, but I think Snider/Upton would be too expensive. I don't know what happened to Snider, his power is WAY down in the PCL this year, only two homers all year. Markaikas is too expensive, and he's got a big contract ($11 million/yr through 2015 I think).

Another guy that could be interesting is Joba Chamberlain. He is over-rated, but still a good pitcher, and it seems the Yanks have soured on him.

I may be thinking alittle bigger here, but if the Mets are seriously into moving Wright, I would jump in on that in a heartbeat with whatever they want.
I'd love to have a hitter like David Wright on the Cubs...but he'd cost a giant bounty...

If Joba shows he can recover from his surgery, he's a pretty nice option.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 8:49 am
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banks View Post
I believe the Cubs will find a way to trade Aramis, at the deadline, for a solid prospect. The Tigers would seem to be a natural fit.
I doubt it. Ramirez has said he'd veto any trade. Further, if he's dealt, his 2012 option for $16 million becomes guaranteed - can't see another team willing to take that on, and can't see the Cubs willing to chip in cash when they can just let him walk.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 9:38 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

3b has turned into a position with shallow depth. I believe only 7 NL third basemen are opsing above 800 this year.

Aram will probably get a nice 2-3 year deal from sometime next offseason based on depth of 3b in the major leagues alone. If people are willing to give Uribe and Figgins $8-10 million a year, Aram will probably get something similar.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 10:58 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

July 27 , 2011 and Jim Hendry is still the GM. As each day passes and Hendry is still the GM , it looks like we will not see any moves except to maybe re-sign some of the guys we all would like to go. Every day Ramirez is here it is more and more likely he will be here again next year.

Hendry will not make any moves to dissolve this team he has assembled. He must prove that he was right about this team. The sad thing is one year of delay on blowing this thing up will put us back 3-4 years of ever straightening it out.
Old Dec 9th 2011, 4:04 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banks View Post
Obviously the Cubs can't make all of these moves...but here are some moves(mostly buy-low moves) I think the Cubs should consider making.

* Trade for Ian Stewart: The Cubs will have a need at 3B, next season(probably)... Ian Stewart is the perfect change of scenary player, and his value is at an all-time low.

* Trade for B.J. Upton: Upton has a ton of talent(both defensively and at the plate), but hasn't lived up to it yet... Plus, the future in CF for Tampa Bay is Desmond Jennings.

* Sign Scott Kazmir: The Angels just released him, so this move can be done soon. Kazmir can be signed cheap, and has the ceiling worth taking a chance on.

* See what Toronto would want for Travis Snyder: Snyder was a top 10 prospect, who's yet to materialize. If there was ever a time to steal this talent away from Toronto, it's now. Sometimes it takes young hitters a little while to "get it"(see Alex Gordon).

* See what Baltimore would want for Nick Markakis: Markakis is being overshadowed by Adam Jones in Baltimore's outfielder. He's a talented all-around player, who has yet to produce consistant power numbers.

Anyone else got any?
Thanks for listening, Jed! Now get going on the rest of the moves!
Sponsored Links