fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > Cubs Baseball > The Bleachers
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Jan 25th 2011, 8:50 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

MLB Network

Currently running a series on the best 10 players at each position. I dont know how many have paid attention but I missed the Cs and was wondering if Soto was in there. I f he wasnt then I dont think we had a player. ARAM finished just outside the top 10 surprisingly. Millar, a host of the show couldnt believe it. he said ARAM belongs in the top 5-6
Old Jan 26th 2011, 9:37 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Why the hell do they insist on replaying the dumbass home run derby ? Why not pick random games and re-broadcast in area markets ?
Old Jan 28th 2011, 12:34 pm
MVP

My Mood:
I have missed all of the Top Ten Now episodes. But I highly doubt Geo would crack the top ten. As much as I love Aram, I do not think he is top ten right now. In fact I think he is just keeping the "hot corner" warm for Vitters.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 9:58 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsFan23 View Post
But I highly doubt Geo would crack the top ten. As much as I love Aram, I do not think he is top ten right now. In fact I think he is just keeping the "hot corner" warm for Vitters.
"But I highly doubt Geo would crack the top ten."

Not only does he crack the top 10...he's solidified himself in the top 5!

"In fact I think he is just keeping the "hot corner" warm for Vitters."

The days of Josh Vitters being a top prospect are over. Vitters has showed very little in regards to being a big league player.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 8:52 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Aram doesn't get the respect he deserves. He is one of the few batters that most pitchers in the NL fear.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 10:14 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Soto was #8

I'm guessing Aram was not on the list strictly based on the amount of playing time the last couple of years. I'm sure he's going to bounce back, but how much?? His walk rates are down and his strikeout rates are way up the last couple of years.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 3:06 pm
Veteran

I haven't seen any of the MLB network ranking, but if I had to rank the top 10 catchers and 3B:

Catchers

1) J. Mauer
2) B. McCann
3) G. Soto
4) B. Posey
5) Y. Molina
6) K. Suzuki
7) J. Buck
8) C. Ruiz
9) A. J. Pierzynski
10) M. Olivo

3B

1) R. Zimmerman
2) E. Longoria
3) A. Rodriguez
4) K. Youkilis
5) D. Wright
6) A. Ramirez
7) A. Beltre
8) M Reynolds
9) S. Rolen
10) C. McGehee
Old Jan 31st 2011, 4:03 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

WOW ! You really are fond of Soto ! Soto ahead of Posey , Molina ? Pierzynski doesn't belong on the list for the same reason i would not put Soto as high , mobility. No Posada or Martinez or Napoli ?
Old Jan 31st 2011, 4:09 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeEila's/rant View Post
WOW ! You really are fond of Soto ! Soto ahead of Posey , Molina and Susuki ? Pierzynski doesn't belong on the list for the same reason i would not put Soto as high , mobility. No Posada or Martin ?
Martin was cut by the Dodgers and hasn't been able to hit since he had back problems.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 7:49 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeEila's/rant View Post
WOW ! You really are fond of Soto ! Soto ahead of Posey , Molina ? Pierzynski doesn't belong on the list for the same reason i would not put Soto as high , mobility. No Posada or Martinez or Napoli ?
"No Posada or Martinez or Napoli ?"

All three are DH's.

"Soto ahead of Posey , Molina ?"

Posey has to play more than 2/3 of a season before we go nuts over him. Is he going to be a consistent stud? Yes! But let him prove it first.

Molina is the best defensive catcher is baseball, but he's Koyie Hill at the plate. He's a slap hitter who provides no real threat to make a difference in the batters box. I'll take Soto's above average defense, terrific eye and ability to SLG, over that anyday!

Not many catchers can match Soto's numbers, 2 out of the last 3 seasons.

2008: .285 .364 .504 .868
2010: .280 .393 .497 .890

"Pierzynski doesn't belong on the list for the same reason i would not put Soto as high , mobility."

I dislike Pierzynski very much, but the catching position is a rather thin one. He's a top 10 catcher. Guys like Matt Wieters, Carlos Santana and Miguel Montero are very talented, but have yet to fortify themselves as more than just potential. I believe all three will be good cathers, but they have to prove it before they can be considered "better than" Pierzynski.
Sponsored Links