fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > Cubs Baseball > The Bleachers
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Aug 27th 2008, 10:22 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bims View Post
Don't give me the "bad few weeks" excuse with Marmol. He went through a long stretch where he couldn't be trusted. He blew some games for us, including a 5 run lead. He is still wild and puts himself in jams. If he was a closer people would be calling for his head. Their is no doubt that Marmol is talented. We just can't trust his control. And lets not forget him blowing game 1 of the playoffs for the Cubs last year. Marmol has alot to prove in big spots as the playoffs approach!
Gee it's easy math

Lou gave Marmol time off when he filled in for KW for closer, and Marmol comes back refreshed when Lou is not pitching him everyday .

Hard to understand??

2007 + 2008

2007 minors (as a starter) + 2007 heavliy used reliever + 2007-08 winter ball + heavily used reliever 2008

how many innings is that??

Gee why is Marmol pitching off guys, I really can't figure it out?!?!!?
Old Aug 27th 2008, 11:00 pm
MVP

My Mood:

Quote:
Stop being that guy who thinks he can define how fans "should" be. We are all fans in many different ways. Nobody here wants to see the Cubs do bad. Some of us are able to see the Cubs through fair, unbias glasses. Others think the Cubs can do know wrong, and can't see the game for what it is. Their are tons of negatives to every game. I mean did you watch todays game? Get off your high horse and stop thinking you can dictate the terms of what being a fan consists of. Between you HeyHey and Rat all the goody2shoes thread policing gets really old really fast. Being a fan involves being negative sometimes. We care that much. It's the fans who are always positive that seem to have less of their hearts in every game.
Thank you! I am glad I am not the only one sick of being told how I should feel and how I should think and what kind of fan I should be or that I am not really a fan because I just don't roll over and accept the fact that Derrek Lee is over-rated or that Zambrano is not really an ace, but a number 2 AT BEST or that although Marmol is having a great season, he has shown that it can go away at ANY moment. My only point is that I will forgive Marmol when he takes that ball in the 8th inning of game 1 or game 5 and shuts down the opposition. He did not do that last year. Lou put his faith in him and he failed...bottom line.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 11:06 pm
Rookie

My Mood:

Send a message via AIM to Zamby38
Marmol has allowed 4 hits since the all-star break.

Good thing he's found his groove yet again!
Old Aug 27th 2008, 11:17 pm

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ryno4ever
Welcome back Zamby! I get goosebumps when Marmol is on and throwing his heat!
Old Aug 28th 2008, 1:44 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubbie Blue Bleeder View Post
Its funny how you tell me not to try and dictated how a fan should be but in that same post you pretty much did what you acused me of doing. So because you always choose to look at the downside of things you are unbiased? Is that you're angle Bims? One thing is analyze a game another is to just choose to get the bad from every game and complain about it.

All you pretty much do is complain. Im not a goody2shoe poster Im just a fan enjoying a team thats 33 over .500. You seem to be a perfectionist, but it doesn't take a perfect team to win a World Series because if it did then nobody would ever win it. If you feel you can strut you're so called baseball knowledge better at other messege boards than why do you come here? To try and change the mood. You rather be skeptical than to Believe what you see.

And what have you seen this year from the Cubs? Only the bad because its late August the team is the best in baseball yet a game like yesterdays could make you doubt everything else thats good that they have shown you. Quit acting like a columnist beacause you are not one and if you where DAMN.
Again you are one of those guys that can't take anything negative being said about his team. I love the fact that we are playing great! I love the season we are having so far! But does that mean I can't point out some of the bad things we do? You don't win a world series in August. I think you as well as many other Cubs fans need to remember that. ..... Actually i'm pretty positive and don't complain much. Stop exaggerating. If you had it your way every thread would be titled "What a great game!", " We are the best team in baseball!" or "Why didn't Potsie ever hook up with Joanie?". Loosen up and except the fact that some of us aren't excepting any crowns until we win in October. Until then analyzing games both negative and positive is fair game. We are good, no doubt about it. But we still have a long way to go. ..... You use words like skeptical just because I point out negatives in my team? It's called being a fan. I wear my heart on my sleeve for every game. You be your type of fan and i'll be mine. I know your so much better then me because you "believe". That's great. When I grow up I wanna be just like you. But for now please just let the rest of us be the kinds of fans that we want to be. In the end I want the Cubs to win just as badly as you, HeyHey, and other members of this board whos idea of talking baseball is repeating how great the Cubs are.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 2:14 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roenick99 View Post
Thank you! I am glad I am not the only one sick of being told how I should feel and how I should think and what kind of fan I should be or that I am not really a fan because I just don't roll over and accept the fact that Derrek Lee is over-rated or that Zambrano is not really an ace, but a number 2 AT BEST or that although Marmol is having a great season, he has shown that it can go away at ANY moment. My only point is that I will forgive Marmol when he takes that ball in the 8th inning of game 1 or game 5 and shuts down the opposition. He did not do that last year. Lou put his faith in him and he failed...bottom line.
I dig your originality and your ability to have opinions. But I gotta disagree with your view on Zambrano. I think big Z is a legit #1 in baseball. Infact I think he's the 9th best starting pitcher in all of baseball. That's going off of current ability, past success, consistency, health, and signs of being good in the future. I'd go 1.) J. Santana ... 2.) B. Webb ... 3.) R. Halladay ... 4.) J. Peavy ... 5.) CC. Sabathia ... 6.) J. Lackey ... 7.) T. Lincecum ... 8.) Beckett ... 9.) C. Zambrano ... 10.) R. Oswalt. ..... I know he can drive you nuts sometimes. But we have something very special in Carlos Zambrano. He is an innings eater who wins. He shows up every 5th day and competes at a high level. Most position players don't play as hard as Zambrano. He is a true #1. I predict he finished this regular season on a big hot streak! ..... As for DLee I agree. I love DLee the teammate. I love DLee the fielder. But he just isn't a #3 hitter. I think next season he should slide back to the #5 spot.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 2:19 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bockstock View Post
Gee it's easy math

Lou gave Marmol time off when he filled in for KW for closer, and Marmol comes back refreshed when Lou is not pitching him everyday .

Hard to understand??

2007 + 2008

2007 minors (as a starter) + 2007 heavliy used reliever + 2007-08 winter ball + heavily used reliever 2008

how many innings is that??

Gee why is Marmol pitching off guys, I really can't figure it out?!?!!?
I think it was obvious that Marmol was being over used by Lou. He pitched more innings then he should have. But Marmol just lost it for a bit. Even when he was back in a setup role. Look everyone knows he is hard to hit. But his control is what is keeping him from being great. He hasn't been in many huge spots in the second half. I just don't totally trust him like I did last season. I'm not sure that in a tie game come playoff time I'd have alot of faith in him.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 7:28 am
Veteran

Quote:
But I gotta disagree with your view on Zambrano. I think big Z is a legit #1 in baseball.
..... I know he can drive you nuts sometimes. But we have something very special in Carlos Zambrano. He is an innings eater who wins. He shows up every 5th day and competes at a high level. Most position players don't play as hard as Zambrano. He is a true #1. I predict he finished this regular season on a big hot streak! ..... As for DLee I agree. I love DLee the teammate. I love DLee the fielder. But he just isn't a #3 hitter. I think next season he should slide back to the #5 spot.
I believe that Z is a number 1 as well. The problem is you don't like to see your #1 go through about a month long slump every season. But he does always seem to come out of it. As long as he isn't masking some injury, and as long as that slump doesn't cost us a spot in the playoffs I'd much rather see it now. The good thing for now is we have 2 other pitchers trying to look like aces on our team right now.

As for Lee, I've always agreed with most of the people who have said he was over-rated offensively. He's not a bad hitter, he just isn't a great hitter. Like you said, I think the 5 spot is better suited for him. That change won't happen this season, but hopefully someone sits him down and makes him realize that he isn't a #3 hitter on this team.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 7:33 am
Veteran

Quote:
I'm not sure that in a tie game come playoff time I'd have alot of faith in him.
Out of curiosity, who would you take in that situation?

I'd probably take Wood even though he likes to make it exciting from time to time. After that I think I'd rather have Marmol over anybody else. But a good argument could be made for a couple of pitchers. That's why I'd like to hear who you'd take in that situation.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 8:52 am
MVP

My Mood:

Quote:
I dig your originality and your ability to have opinions. But I gotta disagree with your view on Zambrano. I think big Z is a legit #1 in baseball. Infact I think he's the 9th best starting pitcher in all of baseball. That's going off of current ability, past success, consistency, health, and signs of being good in the future. I'd go 1.) J. Santana ... 2.) B. Webb ... 3.) R. Halladay ... 4.) J. Peavy ... 5.) CC. Sabathia ... 6.) J. Lackey ... 7.) T. Lincecum ... 8.) Beckett ... 9.) C. Zambrano ... 10.) R. Oswalt. ..... I know he can drive you nuts sometimes. But we have something very special in Carlos Zambrano. He is an innings eater who wins. He shows up every 5th day and competes at a high level. Most position players don't play as hard as Zambrano. He is a true #1. I predict he finished this regular season on a big hot streak! ..... As for DLee I agree. I love DLee the teammate. I love DLee the fielder. But he just isn't a #3 hitter. I think next season he should slide back to the #5 spot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fukudome's Homie View Post
I believe that Z is a number 1 as well. The problem is you don't like to see your #1 go through about a month long slump every season. But he does always seem to come out of it. As long as he isn't masking some injury, and as long as that slump doesn't cost us a spot in the playoffs I'd much rather see it now. The good thing for now is we have 2 other pitchers trying to look like aces on our team right now.

As for Lee, I've always agreed with most of the people who have said he was over-rated offensively. He's not a bad hitter, he just isn't a great hitter. Like you said, I think the 5 spot is better suited for him. That change won't happen this season, but hopefully someone sits him down and makes him realize that he isn't a #3 hitter on this team.
I can agree that when Z is on, there is practically nobody better. BUT, he goes through these most aggrivating stints EVERY year that an #1 ace should not experience where he just looks absolutely AWFUL. Be it April or August, it never gets any less frustrating. That makes me put my total faith in Dempster as our #1 over Big Z. Just my opinoin. Lee has to be moved to the #5 spot next year. That is the bottom line. I think this year you have to much good going on with it like it is that you don't want to mess with it. It will be no less frustrating to watch your "best" hitters come up with men on base and either top a very hittable pitch into a ground ball out/double play, but I don't like messing with what seems to work right now.