fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > Cubs Baseball > The Bleachers
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Apr 28th 2009, 5:18 am
MVP

My Mood:
One reason why i don't like Soriano leading off

Call me crazy, but a leadoff solo homerun can have an adverse effect.

Soriano is great at hitting the leadoff solo homer, but is it because the opposing pitcher is just trying to get his fastball over the plate to start the game? Pitchers just want to start the game off on the right foot and find the zone so they can get their groove going for the game. No knock on Soriano, because he can hit those pitches. But pitchers seem to shut us down after he does that. I believe it just gives the opposing pitcher a wake up call and helps them focus the rest of the game.

Is a solo homer that great? I still want my leadoff hitter to have a high OBP, and i don't care if he hits a ton of homers. Solo homeruns don't do enough damage. Having the leadoff guy on base will give the opposing pitcher more stress than giving up the solo homer to start the game.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 11:43 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drockvb View Post
Call me crazy, but a leadoff solo homerun can have an adverse effect.

Soriano is great at hitting the leadoff solo homer, but is it because the opposing pitcher is just trying to get his fastball over the plate to start the game? Pitchers just want to start the game off on the right foot and find the zone so they can get their groove going for the game. No knock on Soriano, because he can hit those pitches. But pitchers seem to shut us down after he does that. I believe it just gives the opposing pitcher a wake up call and helps them focus the rest of the game.

Is a solo homer that great? I still want my leadoff hitter to have a high OBP, and i don't care if he hits a ton of homers. Solo homeruns don't do enough damage. Having the leadoff guy on base will give the opposing pitcher more stress than giving up the solo homer to start the game.

leading off a game, Soriano is 7 for 16 i believe, which includes a walk. Over .400 batting average and OBP. He is dong a fine job leading off for us.

Plus, on a side note, according to the sun-times Soriano os tied with Brian Roberts at 18 runs scored to elad the majors
Old Apr 28th 2009, 6:45 pm
MVP

My Mood:
I dunno. I would love to see him as an RBI producer. We are not optimizing his value with the long ball. He is our biggest home run threat. Why not get more bang for your buck?
Old Apr 28th 2009, 6:59 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Quote:
I dunno. I would love to see him as an RBI producer. We are not optimizing his value with the long ball. He is our biggest home run threat. Why not get more bang for your buck?
as would I, but he is our best leadoff hitter as well. For some reason, likely mental, he hits the best in the leadoff slot. And while you only leadoff once a game (theoretically) that number one slot seemingly comes up alot at the end of games. If the Cubs are down Id love nothing more to see him come up and blast a winning HR like he as already done twice this year
Old Apr 28th 2009, 7:10 pm
MVP

My Mood:
I understand he will have more at bats leading off, but i want the Cubs leading in his last at bat, not trailing.

He is scoring runs, but so would Theriot and Fuku if they were batting leadoff. I want my home run leader driving in runs.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 7:31 pm
Rookie

My Mood:
Quote:
I understand he will have more at bats leading off, but i want the Cubs leading in his last at bat, not trailing.

He is scoring runs, but so would Theriot and Fuku if they were batting leadoff. I want my home run leader driving in runs.
How many times does a leadoff hitter bat leadoff? Then ask who our best hitter is and who should get the most at bats. I think then you will see who should be batting leadoff.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 7:49 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

this is a constant struggle with Murph on 670 the Score, and John DaWaun (i cant spell his name) always gives statistical proof why he should bat leadoff. because he is our best hitter. Ram is our best run producer which is why he SHOULD bat 3
Old Apr 28th 2009, 8:26 pm
MVP

My Mood:
Our best hitter? If best hitter = high BA and/or high OBP, then Fuku and Theriot fill that bill as of right now. Albert Pujols may be the games best hitter and he doesn't bat leadoff for a reason.

Soriano led this team in homers last year, and is leading the way again this year. It's a shame not have him hitting behind the guys getting on base.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 8:32 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

here is the stat of the week where they talk Soriano and why he should leadoff

http://www.670thescore.com/topic/pla...udioId=3658301

it is about 1/2-2/3 of the way through
Old Apr 28th 2009, 8:45 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

from statoftheweek.com

Soriano bats leadoff—once and for all

April 28, 2009

I hope it's finally put to bed.

This past weekend Lou Piniella experimented with his lineup and put Alfonso Soriano in the number–three slot in the batting order. He did it Friday and Saturday. The Cubs lost both games while Soriano went 1–for–8 with three whiffs. He was back at leadoff on Sunday and immediately celebrated by starting off the game with a home run for the 52nd time in his career (third–most in major league history).

Alfonso Soriano is not your prototypical leadoff man. His on–base percentage is lacking and his home–run power is something you'd like to see in the middle of the lineup. But the bottom line is that he loves batting leadoff and all the numbers back him up. He's a career .294 hitter batting leadoff and has only hit .263 batting elsewhere. He has one home run every 16 at–bats batting first and one every 22 batting elsewhere.

Here's how he and the Cubs have done since he joined them at the start of the 2007 season.

Cubs Record Overall 191–150 .560 winning percentage

Cubs without Soriano  41–42 .494
Cubs with Soriano leadoff 146–99 .596
Cubs with Soriano elsewhere  4–9 .308

The Cubs are a .500 team when Soriano doesn't play. They've played .600 ball when he bats leadoff and have a .300 winning percentage when he's elsewhere in the lineup. Batting leadoff for the Cubs, Soriano is hitting exactly .300 with a home run every 15 at–bats. Batting elsewhere he's 6–for–53 (.113) with no home runs.

Chicago Cubs fans: Let's not have this discussion anymore. Alfonso bats leadoff. QED. Once and for all. Done. Finished. End of discussion.
Sponsored Links