fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > Cubs Baseball > The Bleachers
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Mar 22nd 2008, 9:00 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Cubs' DeRosa sick of trade talks

Cubs' DeRosa sick of trade talks
Makes a stand, says he should play
By Paul Sullivan
Tribune reporter

March 21, 2008, 10:20 PM CDT

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Opening Day is only nine days away, but Mark DeRosa still doesn't know if he will be in the starting lineup.

It all depends on whether general manager Jim Hendry acquires Orioles second baseman Brian Roberts, who has been on the Cubs radar for nearly 3 months.

"It's funny for me," DeRosa said Friday at Hi Corbett Field. "I feel like I've done enough where I shouldn't be put in this position. Hopefully Jim and [manager Lou Piniella] realize I'm one of the best hitters they have and my bat should be in the lineup."

Piniella said his biggest concern right now is finding a center fielder who can complement Felix Pie, and that he has heard nothing of any impending moves.

"We are planning to go with what we have," he said.

That would be good news for DeRosa, who clearly is tired of the rumors. He said he has spoken to Hendry about his status, but that was quite a while back. He said to ask about it again would be akin to "beating a dead horse."

"If it happens, I'll deal with it," he said. "If it doesn't, I'll get over it. It's part of the job, but I've done what I was brought in to do, and I can only get better."

So has he put the Roberts rumor behind him?

"I'll put it behind me when I see who starts and I'm playing second, or if he's here and I'm playing somewhere else," DeRosa said. "I don't worry about it. I know how good a player he is. I respect what he brings to the table and what he has done.

"At the same time, his arrival means I'm not playing second. So unless there's another spot on the infield, or another spot in the outfield that's open that I'm not aware of, it makes for an uncomfortable spring."

If Roberts does arrive, he will back up Roberts, Kosuke Fukudome in right and Aramis Ramirez at third. DeRosa hasn't played outfield all spring.

"It's nothing one day couldn't cure," DeRosa said.

Piniella isn't set on a leadoff man, and even mentioned Fukudome in that role Friday.

That suggests the Cubs still are trying hard to acquire one, with Roberts and Coco Crisp mentioned most.

"I know [Roberts and Crisp are] leadoff hitters, left-handed and speed guys. I don't bring that to the table."

But what DeRosa does bring to the table could be exactly what the Cubs need to win the Central Division. How the issue will be resolved is unknown, but either way, DeRosa said he's confident things will work out in the long run.

"I actually feel great now that I'm back from this heart surgery," he said referring to the procedure he had done early in spring training. "I feel a lot better than I did last year coming over here [from Texas]. It's a lot more relaxing. I'm having fun and not trying to impress people because I think they know what I can do."
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 9:05 am
All-Star

My Mood:
Im really not surprised that he is a little tired of having his role questioned, its hard getting ready for something when your role is up in the air. If we were going to get Roberts the deal should of been done by now, which would of given everyone time to understand what is expected of them this coming season. Right now im liking DeRosa he was arguably our MVP last season. He is taking it on the chin and saying he will play wherever but he is right he has done enough to cement a place in the starting lineup, i would be happy today if Hendry came out and said we wont get the Orioles 2nd baseman, at least it will put the rumors to bed.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 9:07 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

not our MVP, sorry, but Ram and Z and Marmol were the MVPs. DeRosa had a big part, but not the MVP
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 9:10 am
All-Star

My Mood:
Sure they all played a important role, what i was really trying to get at was that he was vitally important to this team. After a season where he helped us out so much to have his name dragged through these rumors for the whole off-season, nearly all of Spring training with no end in sight is a little unfair on him.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 9:50 am
MVP

Send a message via AIM to DLee25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBenjamin View Post
not our MVP, sorry, but Ram and Z and Marmol were the MVPs. DeRosa had a big part, but not the MVP
Disagree. DeRo played so many positions for us last year. He had a great year. IMO Marmol was our pitching MVP. DeRO was our overall team player MVP.

But everyone is entitled to their own opinion
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 10:07 am
MVP

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBenjamin View Post
Z are you serious? The Cubs won the division in spite of Carlos Zambrano. Not because of him.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 10:34 am
MVP

My Mood:

I think DeRo is a great player, but he has to put the team in front of personal feelings, if there is a chance to add a player to fit the needs of a team, then you have to accept it, just go out there and play when you are needed to help the team win. I think now it put a sense of negative thoughts in the dugout and thats the last thing we need right now is distractions.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 10:37 am
MVP

Send a message via AIM to DLee25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbyfanforever View Post
I think DeRo is a great player, but he has to put the team in front of personal feelings, if there is a chance to add a player to fit the needs of a team, then you have to accept it, just go out there and play when you are needed to help the team win. I think now it put a sense of negative thoughts in the dugout and thats the last thing we need right now is distractions.
LOL @ distractions. What do you call all of the trade talks? That isn't a distraction at all. He has the right to talk about his feelings, it has came up about getting roberts numerous times. Say it when it happens. If not, keep your mouth shut. (that was to the press, not dero.)
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 10:37 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by roenick99 View Post
Z are you serious? The Cubs won the division in spite of Carlos Zambrano. Not because of him.
he had a bad month, but still won 18 games. He got hot in June and July and carried the team. How can you say he did more harm then good?
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 10:42 am
All-Star

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbyfanforever View Post
I honestly believe that if the deal for D-Rob had been completed before Spring training started then DeRosa would play where he is asked when he is asked. He is trying to get ready for a season that begins in just over a week. Like someone commented the bigger distraction for the season are these on going rumors..
Sponsored Links