fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > Everything Else > The Media Room
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Nov 26th 2007, 9:53 pm

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ryno4ever
All I want for Chirstmas....

is a Cubs game..... and ComcastSportsNet out of Chicago is going to help me out! They are replaying the August 28th game against the Brewers at 2:30pm on Christmas day!!!!!! Here is the recap of the game (which was also Lou's Birthday!)

Quote:
CHICAGO -- The Cubs wrapped up a perfect birthday gift for Lou Piniella Tuesday night.
Jacque Jones hit a two-run double to tie the game and scored the tie-breaker on an error by pitcher Scott Linebrink to lift the Cubs to a 5-3 victory over the Milwaukee Brewers on Piniella's 64th birthday. St. Louis moved into second place in the National League Central with a win over Houston, and the Cardinals trail Chicago by two games. Milwaukee dropped to 2 1/2 games back.

"We control our own destiny and we have to play the rest of the year like we did tonight," said Cubs closer Ryan Dempster, who picked up his 22nd save with a 1-2-3 ninth. "You can't rely on other teams beating the teams you have to beat."

How big is this series? Not only was Wrigley Field packed with 40,884 sweaty fans, but every rooftop surrounding the ballpark was full. Cub fans clearly outnumbered folks from Wisconsin. Brewers broadcaster Bob Uecker was booed as he tried to lead the crowd in the seventh-inning stretch. Fans in the upper deck then did a better version a capella.

"I've never seen that before," Dempster said. "It was just Cub fans being Cub fans. They were pulling pretty hard for us tonight. It was nice to come back and win that one."

Trailing 3-1 in the Chicago seventh, Milwaukee starter Jeff Suppan hit Cliff Floyd, and was pulled. Mark DeRosa greeted Linebrink with a single and he and Floyd took off on a hit-and-run, and both scored on Jones' double to center to tie the game at 3.

Pinch-hitter Daryle Ward was intentionally walked, and Jones advanced on Alfonso Soriano's fly ball out, and then scored when Ryan Theriot bounced the ball to Linebrink (4-6), who jumped, but the ball popped out of his glove. Linebrink was charged with an error, but it was a tough play. Derrek Lee added an RBI single to open a 5-3 lead.

"I don't think there would've been a play," Theriot said. "Sometimes they give you a hit and sometimes they don't. It didn't go my way this time, but it went the team's way."

So did a key at-bat in the Brewers' eighth between Bob Howry and pinch-hitter Gabe Gross. Milwaukee had two on and two out, and Gross worked the count to 3-2, then fouled the next six pitches off, with the crowd on the edge of its seat with each fastball. Howry finally got Gross out on the 12th pitch.

"For eight pitches, you've got the crowd, 40,000 people screaming as loud as they can, and it's a rush," Howry said. "The final pitch was a split, I hung it. I hung it bad enough and it was a big enough change of speed that he got himself out on that one. It wasn't a good enough pitch for me to say I got him out."

Piniella also made a smart move in the fifth when he opted to stick with starter Rich Hill after Jason Kendall doubled with two outs. Hill, who struck out on a bunt attempt with two on in the third, delivered an RBI single.

"He helped himself," Piniella said of Hill. "He was throwing the ball well, didn't have many pitches. I know one thing -- he swung the bat better than he could bunt."

Hill (8-7) struck out nine to go along with his hit. The left-hander gave up three runs on seven hits over seven innings, and fanned five of the first six batters he faced. The numbers were against him as the Brewers entered the game batting .286 against left-handed pitchers, compared to .252 against right-handers.

"I felt I was throwing the ball well and I felt it was coming out good," said Hill, who also got some help from his teammates. He admitted he could've been distracted by little things that didn't go right. "Just when you think you have everything figured out, there's something that comes back and bites you in this game. I learned a lot tonight, and from a personal level, it was a good thing."

Alfonso Soriano was back in the leadoff spot for the Cubs. The outfielder wasn't expected to return until Labor Day, and went 0-for-4 in his first start since Aug. 5, when he strained his right quad running the bases. He was greeted by a standing ovation from the fans in left when he trotted to his position in the first. He's needed in the stretch run.

"I understand what's at stake," Cubs second baseman Mark DeRosa said. "I woke up thinking about it all day. I couldn't wait to get to the park. I got a lot of calls from friends and family about what this series is about, trying to fire me up."

The Cubs are very happy to be in first place, even if their position is a little precarious.

"When you look at it, we're in a good position," Piniella said. "We're in first place on Aug. 28 and we've got 34 games to go. All we have to do is play good baseball the rest of the way in."

It doesn't matter to Piniella who his team is playing. There's only one thing his team has to do.

"We just have to win baseball games," Piniella said. "This is an important series [against the Brewers], but when Houston comes in, it'll be important and 15 days from now, it'll be much more important. We just have to win series, that's all we have to do."

Whoever does win the NL Central most likely won't have the best record in baseball on Oct. 1.

"I got asked if we 'apologized' for being in first by a game and a half," DeRosa said. "I'm sure St. Louis isn't going to give their rings back for going [83-78] and winning the World Series [last year]. Apologize for nothing. We're in first place in the division and hopefully we stay there."
Old Nov 27th 2007, 7:42 am

My Mood:
Is anyone else having a major case of offseason blues yet???? This offseason seems to be taking forever! I am hoping that once the winter meetings start next week that things will start to pick up, but in past years it is that time between Christmas and the Cubs Convention that really really get to me!
Old Nov 27th 2007, 2:32 pm

My Mood:

Send a message via ICQ to VanMan Send a message via AIM to VanMan Send a message via MSN to VanMan Send a message via Yahoo to VanMan Send a message via Skype™ to VanMan
I'm with you on that. Good thing there's football to tie me over until when college basketball gets into the nitty gritty in January.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 10:44 am
All-Star

My Mood:

Yeah football and basketball hold me over , but it's just not the same. I don't have the same passion for those as i do for my Cubbies.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 2:00 pm
MVP

My Mood:

Send a message via AIM to HOLYCOW!25
This is awesome because I was at that game, and now I get to see what it was like on TV, and remember what was going on while I was in the stands. And this is definetly the cure for offseason Cubbie blues. I have basketball to tide me over, but I still really want baseball.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 3:05 pm

My Mood:
I thought that was the game you went to.... but the tv didn't show the acapella version of Take Me Out to the Ballgame. Maybe they will show it on this repeat of it!
Old Nov 28th 2007, 8:50 pm
MVP

My Mood:

Send a message via AIM to HOLYCOW!25
Oh yea, I can't believe I forgot about that. I hope it does, that was a great moment.
Sponsored Links