fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > Cubs Baseball > The Bleachers
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Mar 12th 2007, 7:27 pm

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ryno4ever
Post Recap of game versus Giants today!

Quote:
COTTSDALE, Ariz. (AP) -- Barry Bonds lost a pair of fly balls in the sun, Gold Glover Omar Vizquel booted a routine grounder and Carlos Zambrano fell on his face while legging out a triple.

And that was just the top of the first inning.

ADVERTISEMENT
The Chicago Cubs scored six runs in an inning that featured nearly enough plays to fill up a blooper reel on their way to a 10-5 victory over the San Francisco Giants on Monday.

Bonds, playing for the fourth straight day but only the third time in the field this year, was in the middle of a lot of it.

After Alfonso Soriano opened the game with an infield single that deflected off pitcher Matt Morris' glove, Ryan Theriot hit a drive to left-center. Bonds went back to the warning track and lost sight of the ball in the bright sun, leading to a double.

Derek Lee then hit a routine grounder to shortstop that Vizquel, an 11-time Gold Glove winner, couldn't handle, leading to the first run of the game.

"I'm sure Matty realized this was not his day when there was an error at that spot," manager Bruce Bochy said. "It's bad luck for Matty. He made some good pitches. You can't do much about the sun."

Aramis Ramirez followed with a single to load the bases before Jacque Jones hit another fly ball into the sun in left field. Bonds didn't have to move for this one, but once again didn't see it despite contorting his body to get a better view. The ball landed for run-scoring single that made it 2-0.

"It's tough. If you can't see it, you can't see it," Bonds said. "You can see it off the bat, but you can't see it once it's in the sun. If it stays in there, you're just done."

Cliff Floyd hit a two-run single to right field in his first at-bat of spring training. Floyd made his debut Monday after surgery on his left heel in October, going 1-for-2 with a walk.

Morris retired the next two batters as the inning seemed to returned to normal before Zambrano stepped to the plate. He took a big cut and drove the ball off the wall in right-center.

Running hard out of the box, Zambrano began to stumble as he rounded second base. He tried to keep his balance, but was unable to and fell on his face -- with the left shoulder taking most of the blow -- about two-thirds of the way to third. He scampered safely to the bag with the RBI triple before the throw could come in from center.

Zambrano didn't let his fall affect on his pitching, ending the first by throwing a high fastball by Bonds and catching Pedro Feliz looking at a third strike. Zambrano allowed two runs, three hits and two walks in four innings, striking out five.

He also added a double into the left-field corner in his second at-bat, and got Bonds on a harmless foul pop to third base in the third. He left the stadium without talking to reporters.

Bonds singled in his final at-bat off Jeff Samardzija, the former star Notre Dame receiver. Samardzija pitched two scoreless innings before being optioned to Class-A Daytona after the game.

Morris allowed seven runs -- four earned -- and eight hits in two innings, though much of the damage could have been avoided with more help from his fielders.

"I felt stronger. I felt like I made some good pitches. I wish I could have gone deeper," Morris said. "Whether it's spring training or not, when your plan doesn't come to fruition it's frustrating."

The Giants had a scary moment in the seventh inning when right fielder Nate Schierholtz and second baseman Eugenio Velez collided while going after a fly ball by Geovany Soto. Velez was taken to the hospital after the collision with bruised left ribs and a bruised right wrist.
Cliff Floyd made his debut today... he batted right behind Jones (two lefties in a row)
Old Mar 12th 2007, 7:30 pm
MVP

My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to BigZ38
Barry Bonds didn't do so hot today...hehehe....Zambrano blew a fastball right by him. I loved seein that one.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 7:34 pm
MVP

My Mood:
I hope they kick Barry out of baseball before he tarnishes the Home Run record. Glad to see Floyd jump in there and get a hit. And Z is starting to look like he is in mid season form!
Old Mar 12th 2007, 7:37 pm

My Mood:
For all those who get Comcast Chicago, the game is being replayed right now.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 7:38 pm
MVP

My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to BigZ38
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsFan23 View Post
I hope they kick Barry out of baseball before he tarnishes the Home Run record. Glad to see Floyd jump in there and get a hit. And Z is starting to look like he is in mid season form!
If Barry gets the record in my eyes Hammerin Hank will still be the holder. I would also hate to see a cheater with the most holy record in the game.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 7:39 pm
MVP

My Mood:
I agree.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 7:40 pm
MVP

Send a message via AIM to DLee25
It was a pretty good game from 5+ innings, I didn't see the rest due to school. Samardjiza did pretty good and really impressed me with composure and his velocity on his fastball. I thought he did great.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 8:15 pm
MVP

My Mood:

Send a message via AIM to Webgem Send a message via MSN to Webgem
I love it when Z blew the high heat past Bonds and the two misques from Bonds.....lol....couldn't stop laughing.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 8:52 pm

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLee25 View Post
It was a pretty good game from 5+ innings, I didn't see the rest due to school. Samardjiza did pretty good and really impressed me with composure and his velocity on his fastball. I thought he did great.
The best inning is the first inning.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 9:03 pm
MVP

My Mood:

Send a message via AIM to HOLYCOW!25
I came home right at the beginning of the bottom half of the first. I was stunned to see it was already 6-0.
Sponsored Links