fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > Cubs Baseball > The Bleachers
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Dec 3rd 2007, 8:43 am

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ryno4ever
Winter Meetings

Start today! The free agent market is pretty weak, so I see a lot more trades taking place this year than in the recent past.

So, that being said, here is a list of people that I wouldn't be surprised at all if they have played their last game in a Cubs uniform and be traded this week.
(I'm not saying all of them, or that I want them traded, okay, except perhaps Ohman )

1. Mark Prior: The deadline to work something out with him is Friday (arbritration). Hendry is looking for a 2 year, incentive laden deal with Mark. If Mark doesn't agree, I see him heading to the Padres, where reports are saying he wants to pitch.

2. Matt Murton: Hendry has said that Murton is an everyday player, but just not for the Cubs. Hendry on Murton:
Quote:
We still like Murton and think he's an every day big leaguer," Hendry said. "Life would be a lot easier if 'Murt' was left-handed. I think he'll be a good everyday Major League player. Until we have better pieces from the left side, if you go to camp and Murt's in the picture, then he fights for playing time."
3. Ryan Dempster: The Cubs have very vocally let everyone know that he is stretching himself out to be a starter....and no matter how he got it done, he had some pretty decent numbers as a closer. His versitility has upped his trade value. The Cubs have a big backlog of pitchers in the rotation, so if the price is right, I can see Demp moving on.

4. Jason Marquis: The Cubs took a chance, and it bit them in the butt. He was supposed to be an inning eater, but I can remember a couple of games he was out of the game in the very early innings. He just couldn't find his rhythm...he would have one outstanding game, followed by one or two bad games. He reportedly did or said something during the playoffs that didn't sit well with Cubs management....however, if he is traded, I think he will be a throw in rather than a key trading piece.

5. Will Ohman: GET HIM OUT OF HERE! TRADE HIM FOR A PIECE OF GUM OR A URINAL MINT!

6. Jake Fox: this guy put up some pretty decent numbers in the minors, and now that Soto is taking over the starting catcher, and may be there awhile, Fox could be used to bring in something good for the Cubbies.

7. Ronnie Cendeno: He just doesn't fit into the Cubs picture. Some teams may find a player like Cedeno very valuable (Tampa Bay, etc)...

8. Mike Fontenot: I hope this isn't the case, as this kid really made a name for himself last season, however, the fact that Hendry was looking for another infielder makes me wonder if they are not considering him as a piece of this puzzle. However, what may save his Cubs uniform is being a leftie... but I thought that would save JJ's Cub career too!

9. DID I MENTION WILL OHMAN???????????????
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 8:46 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Uggg

Jim Hendry chasing a LH OF bat is like Don Quixote battling the windmills.

And Ryno, I think Fox's days as a catcher are long behind him. It seems he's 3rd or 4th in the depth chart at every position he might fit (lf, 3b, 1b) with prospects with higher ceilings right behind him. He's probably most valuable as part of a package deal in a bigger trade
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 8:48 am

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ryno4ever
And the fact that the other teams know how much we need a left handed bat, they are going to make us pay dearly for it!
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 11:01 am
Veteran

My Mood:

Getting rid of JJ in preparation of some 'upcoming' move and also for yet another utility man they didn't need.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 12:37 pm
MVP

My Mood:

I'm starting to think trading Jones so quickly was a bad idea, but Jones wanted out so its a hard decision to make if your Hendry.

Am I the only one sick of reading bogus "rumors" that are not even rumors. As far as I know, no one with any MLB franchise has said "Figgins is on the trading block", but people seem to think he is going to get traded. Every offseason Willis and Cabrera are being traded by the likes of ESPN baseball "insiders". I am waiting for something to actually happen.

Maybe there is some sleeper trade on the horizon.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 12:50 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeifiPerezMVP2007 View Post
Every offseason Willis and Cabrera are being traded by the likes of ESPN baseball "insiders". I am waiting for something to actually happen.

The Marlins buffoonery level is starting to become Devil Rays-esque

How can your scouting and player development be so good, and the rest of your logistics be so bad??

BTW good trade for the White Sox, picking up Carlos Quentin.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 1:28 pm
MVP

My Mood:

Heres my "Play GM for a day" post.

List of players I would trade and for what reasons are as follows:

Murton - I know he's a cult hero, but thats no reason to keep him. He's a ok hitter but like it was said, hes a right hander with little power. He has not lived up to the undeserved hype.)

Cedeno - He has more upside than Murton IMO given he's a Shortstop.

Dempster - I'm just sick of this guy, he's another disaster waiting to happen.

Ohman - We all most likely agree on this, hes got little value so dump him on a crappy team.

Marquis - His mechanics fall apart as fast as Zambranos and hes 1/4 of the pitcher when he's doing his best.

Theriot - I know hes "got heart", but thats hardly enough. I am on the fence about trading him because his late season drop off was most likely because he was wearing down and it was his first full season. But his OBP was not too good. Mainly I would consider trading him because he SHOULD have decent value and hes not a stud player, no matter how many people say he is without giving me a real world reason. But like I said, I'm on the fence

JH should be able to get some fair value out of these guys and not to mention there could be a team to dump Marquis and Dempsters overpriced contracts on.

Players in return for any combo of the above:

I am 110% against Tejada coming here because hes not much of a Shortstop anymore, hes a 3rd baseman. Also, he is not the hitter he use to be. Anyway moving on:

Bedard - Who knows if he will get traded, I put at a 30% chance. He would be a good/great addition.

Jeremy Hermida - Lots of upside, he will be 24 in January. He is a option worth looking into, but I put a 50% chance he could be traded here.

Andre Ethier - It might take more than it would to land Hermida, but he is a ok fit in left IMO. I'd put a lower percentage than Hermida, 20%.

Brad Hawpe - This is a long shot, but if you throw in Marshall and maybe a AAA player, who knows. He would be a better option than Fuk. I'd give it a 10% chance.

This is the route I would go.
Sponsored Links