fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > Cubs Baseball > The Bleachers
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Jul 11th 2007, 2:21 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Hendry's past trades

I m asking here, I really dont know but has he ever screwed up.

We got Aramis, Simon, and Lofton for Bobby HIll and Jose Hernandez

We got DLee for Choi

Nomar and Murton - for Alex G and minor league pitcher???

I actually thought we got screwed on the Sosa deal for Hairston, but Fontenot is playing well now.

Clement for Willis- Now this one,
Im not sure if this happened under his watch- but you could make a case on both sides for this one.

Izzy for Maddux- that was a favor to Maddux and now he will probably stick it up our you know whats in the playoffs

Matt Lawton- for ?????

McGriff- not sure if Hendry did this

What did we get for John Garland? Again, I am not sure when he took over.

The one thing I wanted that wanted us that we did not get was Jim Thome. We could have had him before 2003 season. Instead we went with Big Choi and Karros, and later Simon. 1 yr later we get Lee. If we have Thome would that have put us over the top then.?????
Old Jul 11th 2007, 3:31 pm
MVP

My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to BigZ38
He's made some pretty decent moves as a GM. He does his best to upgrade his team for the now and the future.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 3:52 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIPPER 11 View Post
\

The one thing I wanted that wanted us that we did not get was Jim Thome. We could have had him before 2003 season. Instead we went with Big Choi and Karros, and later Simon. 1 yr later we get Lee. If we have Thome would that have put us over the top then.?????
Same thing with Vlad going into 2005
Old Jul 11th 2007, 5:57 pm

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ryno4ever
The thing about Hendry is he gets it done...and gets it done in a huge way. It may not seem like it at first, and he goes through his spells where people ridicule him for not getting things done right away, but he always seems to come through. I remember in 03 when we got Aram...and people thought he was nuts. Then I remember going nuts when we got Nomar at the deadline and didn't have to give up Clement.... Last year he got alot of heat, but in a recent interview with John McDonough he explained that LAST year Hendry had his hands somewhat tied when he had over 40% of his payroll on the DL and couldn't make trades because that money was tied up. I wish I could remember where that interview was, but after it, last years "doing nothing" made sense.

I do think Hendry can and will make some moves toward the deadline here, as long as the Cubs can stay in contention by the deadline.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 6:13 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

I absolutely agree Ryno4ever. He does get it done. A lot of people do not seem to like him and criticize what he has done, but I cant figure out a whole lot that he has done wrong. Its like you said, if we are in contention he has always made a splash.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 6:38 pm
All-Star

My Mood:

I like Hendry. Everybody makes trades that don't turn out in their favor but Hendry for the most makes good deals.

I know there are grumbles about Willis, but I realy thik he's overrated. He's only had 1 really good season and he's been riding it for a couple years now.

I think Hendry will pull off a deal at the deadline. I'm thinking CF...
Old Jul 11th 2007, 7:28 pm

My Mood:
If we are in it for the long haul, I would really like to see another durable arm-one that could perhaps be either a fill in starter or a long relief. Hill, Marquis and Marshall are hit or miss anymore, and Zambrano is throwing in the 120+ pitch count every time he goes out there. I think I have said it before, I would like the Cubs to pick up one more ither 3-5 pitcher that can help us through the rest of the season just in case Hill, Jason and Sean can't come out of their slumps. It's quickly becoming crunch time and there is very little, if any, room for error or waiting it out at this point. I'm not sure just how close Guzman is, I read where he got rocked in a recent start in Mesa, so I don't know as if he would be an option. And, no, not this year do we attempt the Dempster in the rotation thing. It is not a time to experiment now.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 7:30 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

I am one that liked the deal for Clement. We were set to win then and he was just another starting pitcher with experience to add to our rotation. At the time, no one knew Zambrano would be as good as he was in 2003. I remember he was even considered to be the closer that year. Willis, on the other hand, was a good pitching prospect that just happened to come onto the scene in 2003. In a way, it worked out the way a trade is suppose to- it worked for both teams in a good way. All trades are not one sided and this was one of them. To me a good trade benefits both ball clubs and thats what I considered this one.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 7:33 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

I agree Ryno- no experiments now. A 3-5 starter would be good to have. Marquis is the one that scares me the most out of our pitchers now. His numbers look very good, but to me he has pitched nowhere near that level. He has some real good games, but he has also been knocked out before 5 innings in a few too.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 7:47 pm

My Mood:
Marquis really gives me reason to be concerned as the second half of the season is when the ball really tends to carry out of the ballpark! He's struggling enough now. Fortunately, even though he has struggled, he has kept us within reach of most of the games he has been in. But is he strong enough to carry us to October by just "hanging in there?".... Hill, I am hoping that we will see him rebound. It really seems as if he has gone downhill ever since the umpires told him that his delivery was very close to balking and that he needed to change it. Ever since then, he concentrates more on the delivery than the hitter. Hopefully that is something that Larry can work out with him in a hurry. Marshall, I guess I don't know what to expect. He has had a couple of good starts, and a couple of scary starts. But, again, now is not the time to figure out which pitcher we will consistently see in the second half.

If Hendry can't pull something off for a starter, than he NEEDS to get a long relief guy in the pen so if one of those guys needs to get pulled early, we aren't seeing Scott Eyre in the pen warming up in the second inning.

Many people HATED Glendon Rusch, however, we could use a pitcher similar to him where he is versitile enough where he could spot start or fill in as the long man in the pen.

If we can get into the postseason, we have four months of baseball left. We need some reliable, durable arms in that pen.
Sponsored Links