fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > Cubs Baseball > The Bleachers
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Jan 20th 2009, 12:52 pm
Rookie

My Mood:
Jake Peavy Talks to be Renewed?

Quote:
Lee Hamilton reported on MLB Live Late Edition on Monday night that the Cubs and Padres have renewed trade talks for Peavy according to his sources. He said the Padres must "get pitching back for Peavy" and he is hearing Sean Marshall, Garrett Olson, Kevin Hart and Jeff Stevens to San Diego for Peavy. He said Josh Vitters may not be involved and his sources said the Cubs pulled out the first time because they do not want to trade Josh Vitters.

http://chicagocubsonline.com/archive...12009.php#more

Quote:
If the Cubs make another big move, it almost certainly will be a trade for Padres right-hander Jake Peavy. The addition of left-hander Garrett Olson in the Pie trade was not made specifically with the idea of loading up for Peavy, but as one source said, "it couldn't hurt." The Padres sought Olson in three-way discussions concerning Peavy earlier this offseason.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9...imed-to-pounce

Quote:
The Cubs Convention opened with talk of the 2009 payroll being filled and Jim Hendry looking for a modest-level fifth-starter type to fill out his rotation. But when it ended with the trade of Felix Pie to the Orioles for the pitcher - Garrett Olson - who Kevin Towers was steering toward San Diego as part if a three-team Jake Peavy deal, the Peavy blip on the Chicago radar was beeping again.

Cubs insiders say there's no direct correlation here - that Sunday's trade doesn't signal a return to focusing on Peavy. Pie was out of options and needed to be moved, regardless, with Baltimore a team with interest and a reasonable trade match.

But it's an intriguing coincidence that this is happening at a time when Sam Zell is said to be close to narrowing his three-bidder field for the Cubs to one - a crossroads that could lead to an imminent new ownership group approving Jake-ing the payroll up to accommodate Peavy and the $63 million guaranteed the next four years on his contract.

While negotiations in early December broke down over San Diego's high demands and the Cubs' concerns over 2010 payroll considerations, the '09 payroll is just as big a concern these days, short of approval for an increase from new owners.

And as for those high demands by Padres GM Towers, who was seeking a pitching-heavy, 5-for-1 deal, the Cubs are in far greater position to meet those demands.

First, they've added five young pitchers to the inventory with the 3-for-1 deal with Cleveland for Mark DeRosa and the 2-for-1 for Pie that included a pitcher known to interest Towers. It was Towers, after all, who did all the maneuvering with the Orioles that set the Pie-for-Olson ball rolling nearly two months ago.

All the pieces certainly appear in place.

But let's be clear about this: The Cubs have no appetite for anything like the Brian Roberts water-torture situation they faced with the Orioles that dragged into the final week if spring training.

This time around, if they get the nod to raise payroll from its $140 million level this year, and enough to accommodate Peavy in the coming years as well, then a deal could conceivably get done in a matter of days.

That, of course, assumes the Padres still want to deal even with their own ownership change looming. But with little chance to contend in the next year or two - even in the crappy NL West - the Padres might be well served to still seek that pitching-heavy 5-for-1 for their ace.

The biggest risk in any such deal for the Cubs is Peavy's health over the four-year term of his hefty contract - five years at $81 million if his option year is exercised as part of the deal - is the health of a Cy Young Award winner who has been shut down in recent years twice each for elbow and shoulder problems.

But right now, this year, at this moment of championship opportunity for the Cubs, with every other off-season need already addressed, this could be the single missing piece toward that certain thing that's been missing on the North Side for 100 years.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/cubs/2009/...for_peavy.html

After trading for Garrett Olson, trading away Jason Marquis, and getting 3 solid prospects in return for Derosa it looks like the Cubs are ready to start up the talks for Jake Peavy once more as soon as the ownership situation sorts itself out hopefully next week. It's looking more and more like Jake Peavy will be donning a Cubs jersey this season.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 12:55 pm
Rookie

My Mood:
Padres Projecting Over Budget

According to Tom Krasovic of the San Diego Union-Tribune, the Padres have a meager $40MM budget for players this year. They're projecting to be about $4-5MM over, and they'll probably have to trade Jake Peavy and/or Brian Giles at some point to meet the target. Both players have full no-trade rights.

It could be risky to wait on a Peavy trade, since an injury can happen anytime and he might pitch in the WBC. If the new Cubs ownership group will approve Peavy's addition to the 2010 budget, trade talks could reignite (hasn't happened yet). I don't see why Opening Day has to be the arbitrary deadline to trade Peavy - maybe we'll see a rare April blockbuster if the Padres and Cubs' ownership situations necessitate it. Regarding the Felix Pie-Garrett Olson trade as a precursor, Padres CEO Sandy Alderson says too much is being made of it.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/0...-projecti.html

This can't hurt either.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 1:24 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

I don't see why we would give them any players in return. They have to dump that payroll , we would be doing them a favor to take it off for them.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 3:17 pm
Veteran

My Mood:

If he becomes a Cub no pitching until opening week in Chicago!
Old Jan 20th 2009, 5:12 pm
Rookie

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeEila's/rant View Post
I don't see why we would give them any players in return. They have to dump that payroll , we would be doing them a favor to take it off for them.
I understand that but he is one of their only valuable pieces so they need to get some value in return. I mean the guy was the Cy Young in 2007. Anyways, I agree with you that Hendry is in complete control of this trade and should be able to make a deal without including Vitters.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 5:27 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

You have to give up something to get soemthing

but when yo are eatting that much salary, you tend to give up less.

Simple rules usually follow these guidelines:
The more money a team eats of a players salary they are TRADING the more/better prospects/players they get in return
The more money a team eats when trading FOR a player, the less/least valuable prospects they send out
Old Jan 21st 2009, 7:11 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBenjamin View Post
You have to give up something to get soemthing

but when yo are eatting that much salary, you tend to give up less.

Simple rules usually follow these guidelines:
The more money a team eats of a players salary they are TRADING the more/better prospects/players they get in return
The more money a team eats when trading FOR a player, the less/least valuable prospects they send out
The thing is we are in the drivers seat . I don't care what they want for him. It doesn't look like they have many options. There is a whole lot of money owned him and it is not sure he is 100% healthy. It is ripe for us to get him at a bargin.

They are wanting us to take his complete pay and give them prospects. That would be all well and good if there was a ton of buyers but , there is not.

It is obvious they are holding fast to the prospects or else it would be done.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 7:08 pm
Rookie

My Mood:
I saw that Gammons on ESPN thinks the trade talks for Peavy will probably heat up now that the Cubs have Ricketts as owner
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 7:15 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

I imagine the trade will be come official a matter of days after Ricketts is officially voted in as the owner
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 9:43 pm
Rookie

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBenjamin View Post
I imagine the trade will be come official a matter of days after Ricketts is officially voted in as the owner
i sure hope so
Sponsored Links