fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > Cubs Baseball > The Bleachers
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:18 pm

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ryno4ever
Talking Just got back from the game!

Oh, where to start???? First of all, reality hit me the minute we were pulling up to the Addison stop on the Red Line. The el was jam packed full of people, so I just caught a faint glimpse of the lights towering over Wrigley. BUT the minute they opened the door...it hit! The smell of hot dogs grilled over charcoal... the bitter smell of the onions and relish... the sound of baseball was in the air. A sea of blue and white filled the street below! I couldn't get down to the street fast enough.

I was with my dad, who doesn't like to do the whole walk around the park routine, so he went straight over to the WGN radio booth where they were doing a live broadcast. We were front and center for the last part of the Kathy and Judy show...and then watched Steve Cochran with Dave Enneat and David Kaplan do their show. I left for a bit and walked down the street just to take in the fact I was at the home opener... but had to return to the WGN booth becausue my dad was still there. I'm glad I did, because I got to meet and get a picture with the President of the Cubs, John McDounagh! (as soon as my pictures are done downloading onto my computer, I will post the picture!) I don't ever think I saw Andy McFail ever out in public, let alone take pictures with everyday fans.

There was so much stuff being given away...key chains, magnet schedules, newsletters, and flyers! You couldn't walk two steps without someone handing something else out! The weird thing? I am from a very small town where everyone knows everything about everyone. I am at a place with 40,000+ people, and have never felt safer!?! It was like a HUGE family reunion.

Now, inside the park. I had to have had some of the worst seats in the ballpark. We were literally the very last row in the upperdeck...the fence that overlooked the players parking lot was at our back. That part wasn't the worst, the worst was that the right field "scoreboard" hung down and blocked our view of right field almost completely and from my seat... there was a pole that completely covered my view of the batter at the plate. It was okay during the first inning because the owners of the seats in the rest of the row hadn't shown up yet (more on this later) so I was able to move down a couple of seats to where the scoreboard and pole didn't block my view. I can't complain, though, of the view when they did the whole announcing the lineups! I got lots of great pictures of that! (I took about 200 pictures throughout the day, and ended up using up both of my battery lives in my cameras). I did videotape the 7th inning stretch.

The parachuters were really cool, except from where we sat, we saw them as they landed.

The weather? Outside the park it wasn't too bad. Once we got in the park, we started to feel it. Before the game and for the first part, the wind was blowing straight out to centerfield. The wind was coming in at our backs (literally, being right up against the fence). Then, about the 4th inning, the wind shifted and blew in off the lake...and right at us! That's when it got cold. So, I ran down to the concourse to try to get us some hot cocoa or coffee...um, yeah, out of all of that, out of hot dogs, out of pretzels. Some guy was chewing out the manager for running out of everything by the 5th inning! (Which, I did see his point, but he wasn't going to get much accomplished by making such a scene...the beer had definately kicked in!0

The game? Well, you guys probably had the one up on me there, as it was hard to follow the game with a pole in my way, but once I got back from my unsuccessful coffee run to the concourse (all the way to the bottom, and if anyone has ever sat in the 500 section, it usually takes half an inning to get to the bottom concourse), once I returned the whole top row had cleared out.

Now, for that...the people who sat by us? TOTAL WASTE OF TICKETS THAT COULD HAVE GONE TO REAL CUB FANS! They were already drunk when they got there. The girl sitting next to me, was SO lout and annoying that people kept looking at me with apologetic eyes! She looked at me, and asked "Who' batting?" I replied, "Soriano". She asks me "Is he any good?" I just didn't know what to say to her! I turned to my dad and told him that she was a waste of a good ticket!

The left field bleachers definately won out today as being the most rowdy. They had a big show-up with Carlos Lee the entire game, and Lee played right along with. Everytime he was done doing the pre-inning warm up tosses, he would fake a throw to the left field bleachers, then he would just toss the ball to the side and not throw it out in the bleachers. This prompted the "Carlos s***s!" chant over and over...and even when he would come to bat. There must have been a rookie in the bleachers who didn't know the bleacher rules because the guy who caught Everett's home run ball didn't throw it back. Someone else threw another ball back to try to save the poor guy, but the bleacher bumz knew better. For the rest of the inning, no one paid attention to the game, but instead heckled the poor guy "Throw it back...throw it back" and pointing at him yelling at him. Finally, after someone in the back of the bleachers tossed a full beer at his head and showered him with it, did he finally throw it back.

Lilly.... pretty solid. Didn't pitch as well as his last start, but still wasn't too bad.

The offense? Except for the inning that tied it all up, didn't give much excitement at all.

What was with the shallow hits turning into doubles for the Astros? Maybe it was just because we didn't have the benefit of having the angles from the tv cameras, but at least two of those balls hit did not seem to have been deep enough to allow doubles off of them!

Soriano's steal? HUGE! Right before that I had said, now if Soriano can get into scoring position, this game can turn around in a hurry! What a huge play.

Howry? Um, yeah, enough said. He was officially the first Cub to get booed at Wrigley Field in 2007.

Dempster was awesome! Threw strikes and seemed in control.

All in all...what an experience! I hope I get to do that again. I'll post pictures soon!
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:43 pm
MVP

My Mood:

Send a message via AIM to HOLYCOW!25
It was a pretty good game. Lilly didn't seem to get too comfortable on the mound, but some of those hits did seem like they should have stayed as single's. I was freakin out after he got hit with the line drive, but he came back and pitched pretty well.

And I know exactly what you're talking about with the smell hitting you once those doors opened. It was a great way to be welcomed in.

And I was on tv. If anyone saw at some point like 5 teenage guys singing "Here we go Cubbies, here we go!" I was the one farthest to the right with the Cubs home jersey, Cubs hoodie underneath, and the old Spring Training cap on. I was walking around before the game and saw these 4 guys that were about to get recorded, so I kinda just stood right next to them and joined along. I told the kid I was next to, "If you're gettin on TV, so am I!"

I also know what you mean with the people who should of let other buy their tickets. I was in the souvenier shop, and their was this guy on his cell phone doing work stuff, and I heard one of the ladies saying he shouldn't have even bought a ticket, so I guess he'd been there awhile.

Those parachuter guys, pretty awesome, got a bit tangled up on the landing. Sorry about your seats, I was able to see them pretty good since we had real nice seats.

Bob Howry definetly struck that guy out. The ref's strike zone was so tight it was ridiculous. How come every time the Cubs hit the ball and it looked like it was goin out of the park, it was a fly ball, and when he hits a ball that looks like a fly out, it's a home run!?

I didn't take that many pictures, because it was hard for me to watch the game and take pictures at the same time.

And after the game I froze my tush off to get some autographs. Only Cedeno and Murton came over to sign, and I only got Murton's. Not that I'm upset that I got Murton's, I think it's awesome, he's one of my favorites, but I stood there for too long to only go away with 1 autograph!

Anyways, it was a nice game overall, and I hope it's the first of many I go to this year.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:47 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Hi Heather,

Glad you had a good time and got to experience Opening Day at Wrigley. Other than the bad seats, the drunk girl and the pole in the way, it sounds like you had fun! I'll be watching for your thread containing the pics. Meeting John McDonough (sp?) sounds pretty cool. At least he's making himself accessible to the fans like you said. I really was hoping for a win for you and and also for Holycow25, since he made the trip to Wrigley today too. Maybe we'll get a win tomorrow.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 10:12 pm

My Mood:
Thanks, Mara! It was awesome, a win would have been the icing on the cake!

Here is the pix of me and Mr. McDounagh (sp?) He was super nice. His son is doing an internship with the Red Sox! Like father like son!

Old Apr 9th 2007, 10:32 pm
All-Star

My Mood:

I thought I heard a few BOO BIRDS on tv today. Sounds like you guys had a great time, i'm jealous!!!
Old Apr 9th 2007, 10:44 pm

My Mood:
I'm still working on uploading all of the pictures, it may take me a couple of days, but here are some of them....

http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w224/ryno4ever/
Old Apr 10th 2007, 1:25 pm
Administrator

My Mood:
Send a message via ICQ to scuba Send a message via AIM to scuba Send a message via Yahoo to scuba
Thanks for sharing your experiences, Heather and HolyCow! Nice pics too Heather! I just wish the Cubs could have gotten a win for you guys. And I agree with both of you, that smell that hits you is great. Nothing like a beer and dog at Wrigley watching the Cubbies. Look forward to any other pics you guys want to share!
Old Apr 10th 2007, 4:27 pm
Veteran

My Mood:

I met him too in ST and he is super nice! I was surprised too how he just stands outside the ballpark. That stinks you had a pole and a scoreboard in your way! That happened to me last year with annoying people who don't know anything about the game let alone who's on the team. Other than that, glad y'all had fun! What section were you in, because I was gonna buy tickets for a game in May and all they have left I think is 500s seats.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 4:48 pm
MVP

My Mood:

Send a message via AIM to HOLYCOW!25
I'm trying to get my pictures up but my computer's being slow and not cool. I'll get them up later for you guys.

SORRY: I meant to edit this to replace the post I had above it, but idk, maybe I clicked the wrong button. My bad.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 11:02 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Thanks for the photobucket pics, Heather. They were great! Thanks for sharing with us and I look forward to seeing the rest of them. Holycow25, we're waiting to see yours now.
Sponsored Links