fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > FP's Sports Pub > Fantasy Focus
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Jan 15th 2008, 1:51 am

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ryno4ever
Yahoo Fantasy Baseball

I just checked out the Yahoo Fantasy Baseball website, and it said it would be up and running in early February for drafts, etc....

Just wondering if anyone on here would be interested in doing another Fantasy League for fogpog. We can have both a head to head and a rot. league if there is enough interest.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 3:31 pm

My Mood:

Send a message via ICQ to VanMan Send a message via AIM to VanMan Send a message via MSN to VanMan Send a message via Yahoo to VanMan Send a message via Skype™ to VanMan
I'd do a HTH league.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 3:49 pm
All-Star

My Mood:
I've never done a fantasy league in anything. I might be interested in trying it out this year. I have no real idea how it works.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 4:27 pm

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doba View Post
I've never done a fantasy league in anything. I might be interested in trying it out this year. I have no real idea how it works.
It a free game that gives you the chance to manage your own team of professional baseball players from opening day right through the late-season pennant races.

Your goal is to get the best lineup on the field every day, since the better your players perform in real-life games, the more value they bring to your fantasy team.

Participate in a Live Online Draft, where each manager selects a squad in real time with other managers. Every manager selects one player per round until their roster is full. The draft order reverses each round, so the manager that starts the first round will end the second, and the manager that ends the first round will start the second. See the Live Draft Details section for more information.

Join an Autopick Draft, and our computers will select a team for you. You'll get the best possible players based on either our default rankings or a set of personalized rankings you submit in advance. See the Autopick Draft Details section for more information.

For example, by the end of the draft, you may get Michael Barrett for your catcher, Prince Fielder as your first baseman, Brian Roberts as your third baseman, Tejada as your shortstop, Glaus as your third basemen, etc....). You also get your pitchers, both relievers and starters. As the real players play the real games, you get points for each thing they do (home runs get so many points, triples get a different value, etc... there are separate points for pitching stats).

In a Head-to-Head League, your team will square off in a weekly matchup against another manager's team to see who can compile the best stats across a number of different categories.

A new weekly matchup begins every Monday and will consist of a set number of games based on your league's statistical categories. Each stat category counts as one game, with the win going to the team that finishes the week with the highest total in that category (the cumulative total after each Sunday's games).

So, if in a given week, your team hits more home runs than your opponent's, you would be credited with a victory. However, if your opponent's team ended the week with more saves than your team, you would be charged with a loss. If the two teams end up tied in a given category, each will receive credit for a tied game.

This weekly win-loss total will be added to a cumulative season record, which will be used to determine standings and playoff seedings. These standings will be based on your team's overall winning percentage, which is calculated by taking your win total and adding 1/2 of your tie total and dividing the sum by the total number of games your team has played.

Head-to-head scoring is available in both Public and Custom Leagues. All Public Leagues use the same default settings, while Custom League commissioners will be able to specify a number of settings, including roster size and stat categories.

In a Rotisserie League, fantasy teams are ranked from first to last in each of several statistical categories. Points are then awarded according to the order of finish in each category, and are totaled to determine an overall score and place.

So, if you are in a 12-team league, the team with the most home runs will receive 12 points, the team with the second most will receive 11 points, etc. In the case of a tie, each team involved receives an average of the total points due—i.e., in the above example, if two teams were tied for first in homers, each would receive 11.5 points [(12 + 11) / 2 = 11.5].

Therefore, the maximum number of points that a team can earn is equal to the number of scoring categories within a league multiplied by the number of teams in the league. Similarly, the lowest number of points that a team can earn is equal to the number of scoring categories multiplied by one, which is the lowest score that can be achieved in any category.

So, if you were playing in a league with 12 teams and 12 scoring categories, the lowest point total possible is 12 [12 * 1 = 12] and the highest is 144 [12 * 12 = 144].

Rankings within the individual scoring categories (HR, RBI, etc.) are based on the cumulative stats earned by all active players during the season and not on any individual day or game.

Therefore, the overall ranking of your team will rise and fall depending on how it performs relative to the performance of other league members. So, the phenomenon of "losing points" can be explained as your rank falling in one or more of the statistical categories used in your league.

All non head-to-head Public Leagues use rotisserie scoring and the same default configurations. Custom Leagues can use rotisserie, head-to-head, or fantasy point scoring, and all are totally customizable.

You can read all of the official Yahoo rules HERE.

It is really fun, and a GREAT way to get to know the other players in baseball and follow their stats, as every day you get their daily stats. I hope you give it a shot. It's free...it's fun.... not much to lose to give it a shot.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:20 am
MVP

My Mood:
I was just goiong to see if anyone was going to do this this year. I know last year we had 2 leagues one for rot and one head-to-head. Count me in for both!
Old Jan 26th 2008, 12:27 am
MVP

My Mood:
Any gauge on how many people are interested? Maybe we could start a NL only league and a mixed league or even a keeper league.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 10:43 am
MVP

My Mood:

Send a message via AIM to HOLYCOW!25
I'm definetely in. I had a good run last year in the CBS Sports one we had going. Is Yahoo the same as that one?
Old Jan 26th 2008, 2:08 pm

My Mood:
Yeah.... I actually like Yahoo's better.... it's more interactive.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 12:10 am
MVP

My Mood:
I like things about both. CBSSportsline does realtime scoring. Yahoo does to but it costs you extra. In roto leagues Yahoo is better as you can set your lineup daily, CBSSportsline you can only modify your lineup on Monday before 1000. I will play in both leagues, I will probably have about 7 teams going between differnet sites. I played for the first time last year and got hooked.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 1:43 pm
Veteran

My Mood:
Send a message via MSN to Leprechaun
i have never done it either.. but im very interested